Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2023, 04:48 PM   #6621
ISSIMI

Installed the benauto short throw. So far so good. Also took some shots with another GR on tan but 993

Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #6622

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The plan is to have this one done in May to take to the Gambler 500 Mexico. -

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:07 PM   #6623

Garage
Sumps off

Yesterday I dropped the sump off of the engine and the transmission. Pretty crazy how many pieces you need to take off for an ATF change. I couldn`t find any debris in it but the ATF was black. Perhaps never changed out... (at 127k now)

I dropped the sump also because the oil pressure warning light lit up a couple times lately at heavy braking. The oil was overfilled, it`s a bit over maximum, so I don`t think it`s that the oil mass sloshes away from the pick up screen. It`s maybe a wring issue, or perhaps those brown plastic particles clogged the screen sometimes, I don`t know at this point. Cleaning them out won`t hurt for sure.

Not to mention the sludge..

Old 04-11-2023, 06:29 AM   #6624

Saturday I went to the place I store my 2000S from November to April, installed the battery, faced Germany and said a quiet moment commerating Dr. Porsche, inserted the key in the ignition, held my breath as I twisted the key and.... Zingo! It started right up, as it has every year on BED (Boxster Emancipation Day), and settled into its normal idle for a few moments then I drove it home. It was a little too cool to put the top down but I was sure smiling and looking forward to the coming months.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:41 PM   #6625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Yesterday I dropped the sump off of the engine and the transmission. Pretty crazy how many pieces you need to take off for an ATF change. I couldn`t find any debris in it but the ATF was black. Perhaps never changed out... (at 127k now)

I dropped the sump also because the oil pressure warning light lit up a couple times lately at heavy braking. The oil was overfilled, it`s a bit over maximum, so I don`t think it`s that the oil mass sloshes away from the pick up screen. It`s maybe a wring issue, or perhaps those brown plastic particles clogged the screen sometimes, I don`t know at this point. Cleaning them out won`t hurt for sure.

Not to mention the sludge..

At the risk of starting an oil discussion - what type of oil is in there and and when was it last changed? That looks.... Um... Nasty

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2023, 06:52 PM   #6626

Replaced my vacuum reservoir last weekend and achieved SAI monitor readiness today. Learned a few things but not a job I’d want to do anytime soon.
Super happy.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #6627

Garage
Took it out for the first drive of spring, top down!
Old 04-26-2023, 04:37 PM   #6628

Changed the oil, installed new lithium ion battery, and fired her up for the first time this year. She roared to life and after she warmed up we screamed all the way to redline several times. I love this damn car.

As an aside, I've got a lifter tick (I think). I'll put a stethoscope on her but I think it's bank 1, likely cylinder 1 or 2. I order a bottle of liquid moly lifter additive, maybe ill get lucky lol

Here's a pic of the battery I installed. It's a motorcycle battery that I got in Amazon. It weighs nothing, is rated to 480cca, and it turned over the car with zero hesitation (that's with radio and subwoofer on). I've still gotta rig up a retainer for it but that a bungee cord should work just fine

Last but not least I learned something new today. Positive battery terminals are wider than negative terminals! I found this out when I installed the posts on the battery and had a significant size discrepancy on the ground side. Lessons hard learned....

Last edited by ike84; 04-26-2023 at 04:42 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:11 PM   #6629
Toppy

Garage
Added a blue tooth receiver, hooked it in to the RCA out puts on the CD changer and wired directly to keyed 12 volt. Also changed out the hood struts
Old 04-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #6630
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Added fender flares, wired up the winch and painted the front bumper.

Old 04-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #6631

Garage
Quote:

Yeah, you need to send those pictures to Stuttgart
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:49 PM   #6632

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
At the risk of starting an oil discussion - what type of oil is in there and and when was it last changed? That looks.... Um... Nasty

I found some receipts in the car and it seems the oil was replaced shortly before I got the car, which was 1000 miles ago. It`s some Redline synthetic. I guess the sludge had accumulated before that. The oil I drained looked good.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:04 PM   #6633

Quote:

That is the most extra ordinary Boxster I have ever seen.

Follow BruceH's advice: send photos to Stuttgart. Maybe they'll develop a Dakar Boxster.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #6634

Awake from Winter's Nap

I got the 2001S out of it's Winter nap. Getting ready for the Route 66 trip in May with my friend from all the way back in 6th Grade (ago), we did a test packing. He was shocked at how small the trunk is, and then he was even more shocked to find that we can fit all of our clothes and toiletry bags for a 16-day trip into this little trunk, and still have the frunk for a cooler and our laptops.

Puzzling to me, last Summer during my road trip, the CE light came on. Back home, the dealer diagnosed as needing both Catalytic Converters replaced ($7K). No way I am spending that on a 22 year old car, even a Porsche, with 159,000 miles on it. I had these replaced in 2016 by my independent. I don't see how they would both fail at the same time. First start-up this year, no CEL. Driven now over 50 miles with several stops, and still no CEL. Maybe the OBD-II is going bad?

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #6635

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
I got the 2001S out of it's Winter nap. Getting ready for the Route 66 trip in May with my friend from all the way back in 6th Grade (ago), we did a test packing. He was shocked at how small the trunk is, and then he was even more shocked to find that we can fit all of our clothes and toiletry bags for a 16-day trip into this little trunk, and still have the frunk for a cooler and our laptops.

Puzzling to me, last Summer during my road trip, the CE light came on. Back home, the dealer diagnosed as needing both Catalytic Converters replaced ($7K). No way I am spending that on a 22 year old car, even a Porsche, with 159,000 miles on it. I had these replaced in 2016 by my independent. I don't see how they would both fail at the same time. First start-up this year, no CEL. Driven now over 50 miles with several stops, and still no CEL. Maybe the OBD-II is going bad?

DBear
50 miles is not necessarily enough to trigger the CEL, it has to run several cycles. If the problem persists it may have thrown a fault code already, just has not triggered the CEL yet. You can test the efficacy of the cats yourself with a Durametric or similar tool. I use a Foxwell.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:37 AM   #6636

Garage
Finally got my lift posts anchored again and changed out the fuel filter. It was the original filter made in in June of 99.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #6637

Garage
And swapped out all 4 O2 sensors.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:54 AM   #6638
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Spring finally arrived up here in the Great White North so I took the Boxster out of hibernation. I adjusted the tire pressure, checked the oil level and cranked her up. Slight puff of blue and the car fired right up. It soon settled into a nice steady idle. I’ve done this routine every spring for 9 years with the same great results.

As an aside, my car is up for sale and can be found on the PCA mart if anyone is interested.

https://mart.pca.org/ads/61323
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #6639

Moved my Pioneer double-din from my van to the Boxster and taped up the vent flaps (thanks @TTGator for the video assistance!) while I was in there. I also swapped the winter tires for the summer tires now that it's going to be consistently warmer here in PA. And now I'm contemplating my move to the Portsmouth NH area this summer and what that's going to be like with the car. Hmmm, maybe I should look to get a hardtop...

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:21 AM   #6640

All this past week for the new to me 04 s in lapis blue:

Replaced the missing grommet on the fuel door actuator pin, now it locks.

Detailed my Boxster with two stages of polish followed by a ceramic coating.

Changed the oil with 0-40, but couldn’t get filter off because had the incorrect filter cap…ugh.

Changing front brake pads and rotors this week with power stop evo.

Pretty busy as you can tell.

Michelin AS4s going on this week to.

Last edited by RL911; 05-08-2023 at 07:59 AM.
RL911 is offline   Reply With Quote