Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #6321

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Don't get me wrong Rick, but I would have been all over that car if I wasn't already out of space and in way over my head with other projects.

Hey! Another Airhead!

Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #6322
Perhaps the worst example

And yet another... CHP has us waiting six weeks to get this referee’d for a title, doh! The fresh carb bits arrived in the mail Wednesday...
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2021, 04:39 AM   #6323

Few jobs tackled yesterday and late into the night. Slow puncture fixed so all wheels off, washed and dressed.

Gearbox shift cables adjusted with the factory calibration thingy. Definitely an improvement.

Brake fluid flush and inspection for Mondello.

Wash and a quick coat is Auto Glym Aqua Wax. Never used it before but did a decent job and handy to use.

Waiting for it to rain now.

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #6324

Garage
Couple of days late,

Changed the oil, finally, after discovering the existing drain plug was stripped. Thank you to whoever mentioned using a dremel and a chisel. Cleaned the MAF sensor. First time getting to the top of the motor so that was educational. Also discovered that cylinders 1-3 had fairly loose coil pack plugs. Hoping that was the cause of the cyl 2 misfire.

Getting to know the car better is fun.

Oh, I messed up the buff job on the hood, yay me. So I'll try doing it by hand and see if I can get the horrible swirl marks out. Never have I done such a poor job, not sure what I did wrong this time, but disappointed it happened to the Boxster vs the Subaru lol!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #6325

https://youtu.be/Ec3oJIEUkEc
HarveyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #6326
Seal1968

Fixed the annoying "tick" sound today that plagues these cars and the 996's.

There was a hairline crack in the weld of the header where it is joined to the manifold, both sides at the first tube. You could see a slight black sooty line where it was leaking.

Removed headers, grinded out and welded it back up. Flat and square, good for another 20 years.

Nice and quiet like it should be.

It's the little things, really. lol
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #6327

Super excited to complete a project with such a great outcome as this. Been contemplating new seats or taking the car into an upholstery shop and having new seat coverings made (or purchased online) and installed. I have done complete interiors on a few cars and I know how expensive it can be. Been really dreading it...

My interior is Savannah Beige and the bolster of my drivers seat is torn pretty bad. Already been thru the process of filling and recoloring the seats with pretty good success initially but over the last few years the seat repair just didn't hold up to regular use.

Browsing the Bay a while back I notices some sellers with seat covers from parts cars for various parts of the seats. I found a Savannah Beige seat back cover with no rips or tears for only $80 plus shipping. Fast forward, I was able to replace my torn seat covers with this replacement and just freshly colored (airbrushed) it with some leftover color from the prior job and damn if it doesn't look almost as good as new. And best of all no rips!

Don't have before and after pics handy but I was surprised how easy it was to remove the old seat cover and install the new one. And all for significantly less than a whole new interior.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #6328

Waiting for the immobilizer to come back for my project 2000 Base car. I took a little time this afternoon to swap out the black seatbelts with some red ones I has stashed. Since that project puts you half way to installing spin locks for a hardtop or Speedster Humps, I went ahead and dropped them in too. They are surprising easy to do.

For you guys that have never done either of these projects, both are pretty basic and straightforward. The first time installing spin locks I kind of dreaded it from what I'd read, but after installing several sets on my different cars, it takes more time to get the tools out and put back up then it takes to install them. Seat belts are easy too.

This week as the Post Office and the UPS and FedEx guys make their deliveries, I should have everything I need to update all the clapped out Soft Touch interior trim pieces. I'm going back a year to the black/gray pieces from '97-'99. The center console will be painted, new parking brake and shifter, GT3 console delete kit installed. Then I have to find a 3-spoke Metropol Blue steering wheel and airbag. I think I'll install a short shift kit too while I have the console out.

For you all who are familiar with the Martini racing livery from the '70s-'80s, you'll notice a theme starting on this car. Martini normally started with a white car with red, dark blue and light blue colors for their livery. I think that's where this car is going. (Ignore the purple hardtop - it'll be white when painted. I was able to pick it up last weekend in the Dallas area for $850. A great deal and a great fellow Boxster guy I bought it from.)

More to come...
Attached Images

Last edited by RedTele58; 06-13-2021 at 06:48 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #6329

I took the cover off, put the roof down and drove to visit my parents, on the way back I went to vote (gobernor elections). The locking system gave me problems every time I parked the car (gremlin inside decided to wake up again), perhaps it's time to replace/fix the locking system under the driver seat (rain problem perhaps).
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #6330

Cleaned out rads

Today I cleaned out my rads. Just got it out of storage last week and on the first drive it was over heating a bit. So I'm doing what I should have done before storage.

To note: Took everything apart and there really wasn't much for debris in the shroud. Vacuumed it out but didn't feel comfortable putting it right back together. It's just two torx bolts (per side) that hold the AC rad in front of the cooling rads so I took them off...glad I did...that's where the $hIt was between the AC rad and cooling rad. I highly recommend this easy task and I'm surprised it's not mentioned in any "how to's".

I also hit both rads with a spray cleaner and blasted with water to clean out in the fins.

Now to put it back together and enjoy the summer!!!
1yellowbrickroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #6331

In recent news, I had a BendPak lift installed. After 30+ years working on my back on garage floors, it was past time for that!!

Yesterday, just dailied it to the office.

Local cruise tomorrow; pics to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #6332

Took out the original muffler that has been driven approximately 180.000miles and installed only approximately 25.000miles driven replacement.
Original had couple corner seams rusted and had a slight leak noice on accelartion - now the sound is solid and real nice :dance:
Old 06-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #6333

What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Father's Day cruise in the mountains. First time anyone other than me behind the wheel since the day I bought it. The missus isn't very experienced driving a manual but she did great! Absolutely perfect day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:12 AM   #6334

Garage
I took my dad for his first ride in, and first time driving, a Porsche. He was extremely excited and I got the satisfaction of feeling like an awesome son. He's almost 78 so he didn't push it, but enjoyed getting the RPM's up a couple of times and hearing that sweet six.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #6335
Seal1968

THIS! Test fired my xenon upgrade. My thread has details.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:03 AM   #6336

Garage
Replaced the instrument cluster LED backlights, driver and passenger door mirror trim pieces, and replaced the euro spec 12v outlet with a US spec outlet so my phone holder stays in place.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:32 AM   #6337

Garage
Removed clutch pedal spring booster yesterday. In 30 + years of driving manual cars I don't think I ever stalled as many times ( combined) as I have the Boxster, what a stupid idea that spring is.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:59 AM   #6338

Garage
Got the oil and filter changed, changed the brake fluid and air filter. Got the top transmissions repaired. Thorough safety inspection and two new tires on the front.
donkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #6339

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
Removed clutch pedal spring booster yesterday. In 30 + years of driving manual cars I don't think I ever stalled as many times ( combined) as I have the Boxster, what a stupid idea that spring is.
I still have my spring in my Boxster but ditto to this. The same thing happened to me in my 996. There is another spring that you can replace it with which makes it more traditional European clutch feel.

It worked against me during a PPI when I sold it. The shop said the entire transmission needed to be replaced. It scared a lot of potential buyers away.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #6340

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I still have my spring in my Boxster but ditto to this. The same thing happened to me in my 996. There is another spring that you can replace it with which makes it more traditional European clutch feel.

It worked against me during a PPI when I sold it. The shop said the entire transmission needed to be replaced. It scared a lot of potential buyers away.
Yeah I know, I have the softer spring, but it was a pain in the ass lying on my back to remove it, that I just decided to leave it out. I can always put it back if I ever decide to sell the car. You would be surprised how much natural the clutch feels once you remove the spring. Stupid spring puts so much pressure on the pedal coming back up that you have to be riding the clutch early on a red light so you don't stall the car . Now I can just put the car in gear when the light turns green and go. It takes a few minutes to get use to it, but once you get use to it you start wondering how you drove the car before with that piece of **************** spring in there. I think the spring is there to aid the cruise control switch.

Last edited by 986 Boxster; 07-07-2021 at 05:32 PM.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote