Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #5701

Installed a subwoofer behind the driver's seat for some much needed bass. I think this completes my Boxster's audio upgrade now

https://youtu.be/Goc8L2cXXEQ

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #5702

Garage
I installed the A2D-BKR behind my radio today. So now my CDR-220 is Bluetooth enabled and the best part is that it’s totally invisible.

I’ve got the transmission out and the intake torn up so I’m too afraid to plug in the battery to test my installation. I guess I’ll see if it works down the road.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #5703

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Yes, I just emailed them through their website and asked. It was spendy; I think it was about $175 or so but I figured it would be more reliable and only if little pricier than piecing together various silicone bits to cobble an intake pipe together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Good luck with the install.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #5704

Sent mine to the shop after throwing in the towel on the PS hose. That thing may be the worst project I've ever attempted. After a 5+ hour attempt that got me effectively nowhere, I tapped out and called the pros.

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #5705

It was yesterday, but I spent 5 hours replacing rear LCAs and trailing arms. Went to U DO IT auto shop, put the car on a lift and learned things:
1. The front connection of the trailing arms have a square head nut on the top that's almost impossible to reach and put a wrench on. Not needed. The square head is held captive in a u shaped keeper.
2. Jacking the wheel carrier up to insert the bolt from the trailing arm to the LCA makes that task very easy - the wheel carrier moves through two axes, so doing that by hand requires the strength of Samson.
3. An alignment is absolutely necessary afterward.
Fun day.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #5706

Finished drilling out the last of the 3 broken bolts on the block. Used the stomski racing toolkit / jig for it. Slow going but worked really well. All that was required after each drilling process was to run a tap through it to clean the threads. Did it on the other bolt holes also. The bolts on mine went 16mm into the block. Might be helpful for anyone wondering how deep to drill. Measure measure measure. The last thing you want to do is drill too deep and into the block.

Few pics attached for ref. It's a slow process but satisfying when done. I cleaned the surface but I can still see stuff / staining on the surface. I can feel any lips but should I keep cleaning and get shiny metal or is it good enough? I mean how clean does it need to be? This is after wet 240 sandpaper and steel wool. I didn't go too crazy but as I've done this much right it would be shame to mess up on the gasket faces.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #5707

Got a new set of tires for my Boxster.

Old: Dunlop Direzza DZ102. Lots of good grip, but was awful for daily driving. I checked tire pressures and did everything I could but it was always a loud crash and bang and did not absorb bumps or cracks on the road very well. They came with the car, and another local PCA member needed a set of tires to pass safety inspection, so they were donated. About 7 or 8 32nds on all four tires so they still had some life to them. Build date was about 3 or 4 years old with no issues on the tires.

New tires would be considered by most Porschephiles a cardinal sin. I got a set of Federal Evoluzion ST-1 tires (225/45/17 Front / 255/40/17 Rear) and they are a huge improvement over the Dunlops. Some online review compare them to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and they certainly did feel like them. Good stopping power (so far) and traction in the rain (it rained today after I left the shop) and absorbed a lot of the road imperfections. Still need to break them in, but very happy with them. Taxes, installation, fees, and all for tires for $650 CAD (about $460 USD or so.) If you folks are looking for a set of inexpensive summer or tires for light track, these should do the trick.

For reference, Michelin Pilot Sport 2s would have cost me $1500 CAD. Way too expensive. I couldn't find a distributor or shop who had the Pilot Sport 4S in stock for the 986 Boxster, so that was a bust.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #5708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Finished drilling out the last of the 3 broken bolts on the block. Used the stomski racing toolkit / jig for it. Slow going but worked really well. All that was required after each drilling process was to run a tap through it to clean the threads. Did it on the other bolt holes also. The bolts on mine went 16mm into the block. Might be helpful for anyone wondering how deep to drill. Measure measure measure. The last thing you want to do is drill too deep and into the block.

Few pics attached for ref. It's a slow process but satisfying when done. I cleaned the surface but I can still see stuff / staining on the surface. I can feel any lips but should I keep cleaning and get shiny metal or is it good enough? I mean how clean does it need to be? This is after wet 240 sandpaper and steel wool. I didn't go too crazy but as I've done this much right it would be shame to mess up on the gasket faces.

Nice work, Traco. As long as the surface feels smooth when you drag your fingers over it you should be good. For future reference, don't use sandpaper or steel wool on aluminum mating surfaces. It's too easy to wear it down unevenly and you won't have a true flat surface. I use Scotch-Brite and brake cleaner.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-15-2020 at 07:36 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #5709
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Sent mine to the shop after throwing in the towel on the PS hose. That thing may be the worst project I've ever attempted. After a 5+ hour attempt that got me effectively nowhere, I tapped out and called the pros.

Those wheels look incredibly good on yours.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 AM   #5710

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Nice work, Traco. As long as the surface feels smooth when you drag your fingers over it you should be good. For future reference, don't use sandpaper or steel wool on aluminum mating surfaces. It's too easy to wear it down unevenly and you won't have a true flat surface. I use Scotch-Brite and brake cleaner.
Cheers Piper. I did scrub it with a green scotch pad and cleaner. There was the odd build up that I hit lightly with the steel wool then wet and dry lightly. I was afarid to go too hard as you mentioned that's why I was wondering how clean it needs to be.

Should I attempt to clean the ports and if so how or would I be asking for trouble there for little or no benefit?

Also any thoughts on reassembly with ceramic grease. Rated for 1500C and I've seen it mentioned on aircraft assemblies. As it's non conductive it might reduce the galvanic corrosion between the steel and aluminium. If I keep an eye on the bolts for torque at each oil change it might be an interesting experiment for a few years down the road??
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #5711

Throttle body cleaned - it did need a celaning indeed the car runs soooo much better now and feels like there is more power thru out the rev spectrum

Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #5712

Garage
Ordered Michelin PS2 tires they were only $175 more than the Bridgestone Pole Position S-04
Old 05-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #5713

Gave her a bath, inside and out.

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #5714

Water Pump, thermostat ( 165), hose's at rear of car, removed front bumper, inspected radiators and hoses ( one radiator will need to be replaced this summer, not leaking but damaged on bottom) and cleaned everything up. How come when you plan a day of maintenance, EVERYONE want's to stop by and visit.
Also new serpentine belt just because I ordered it and figured since I was there, might as well. Saved the old one for emergency
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #5715

Had a leaking passenger differential seal, so removed the half shaft axle, replaced inside cv bearing, regreased and installed 2 new cv boots. In addition to the new differential seal. Not a job I am looking forward to ever again.
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #5716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Had a leaking passenger differential seal, so removed the half shaft axle, replaced inside cv bearing, regreased and installed 2 new cv boots. In addition to the new differential seal. Not a job I am looking forward to ever again.
CV boots! You're probably still trying to get the grease out from under your nails! Nasty job!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
CV boots! You're probably still trying to get the grease out from under your nails! Nasty job!

You are correct!!!!

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #5718
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
A paper clip works well for digging out the grease.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #5719
Will there be cake?

Garage
I polished the headlights

waiting for the struts to arrive, decided to take care of long standing issue. About a year ago, some moron came to my house trying to sell soap. I was nice, but told him get lost. Looked out several minutes later and he was rubbing some bull******************** on my passenger litronic. It took physical intervention to get him off my car, I had to pull him away after about 30 seconds of my demands to get away from my car. He scratched up the headlight and surrounding paint, I posted about it the day it happened.
Well, some polishing took care of the paint, but the headlight looked wonky ever since.
No before on the badly scratched up one, but the drivers was clear, just yellow.
Now look...white and polished. The pictures dont do it justice.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #5720

Garage
Fuel cap O-ring threw a CEL today, new one on order. What else is deteriorating after 19 years?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote