Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
halsport

Garage
New Radio

Installed a JVC KW-AV60BT 2-din stereo in my 1999 Boxster. SWEEEET! It fits perfectly in the upper two openings. Am using the USB for music, but can also stream from my iPhone. It also syncs. with my iphone for phone calls. Feel like I have a new vehicle!
halsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsport View Post
Installed a JVC KW-AV60BT 2-din stereo in my 1999 Boxster. SWEEEET! It fits perfectly in the upper two openings. Am using the USB for music, but can also stream from my iPhone. It also syncs. with my iphone for phone calls. Feel like I have a new vehicle!
Add a backup camera and you'll feel like one of JDs peeps! Oh, it DOES help with that blindspot too.

Last edited by Homeboy981; 10-29-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: speeling
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Add a backup camera and you'll feel like one of JDs peeps! Oh, it DOES help with that blindspot too.
Homeboy981:
I was considering a backup camera since my radio supports it.
They used to be pretty pricey, I have one on my truck for hooking up to my trailer. It mounted over the license plate holder, tied the sense lead to the reverse light and comes on when putting it in reverse, or I can select that video input anytime on the radio.

Do you mind sharing what model camera you used?
How about a pic..
Thanks
T
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Homeboy981:
I was considering a backup camera since my radio supports it.
They used to be pretty pricey, I have one on my truck for hooking up to my trailer. It mounted over the license plate holder, tied the sense lead to the reverse light and comes on when putting it in reverse, or I can select that video input anytime on the radio.

Do you mind sharing what model camera you used?
How about a pic..
Thanks
T
@kcpaz,
Love that Subaru-turbo powered Box! If you need a test pilot, for track time and comparison, let me know! Nice vid, turbo is 'rush'! Good piloting too!

@Tony,

The backup camera looks like this from inside…

…and this from outside. It is a license plate backup camera.

I got the camera off Amazon for like $15, it was cheap and works great! I did run it directly to the input so I could record trucks going off the road that are trying to follow (darn, I WISH I would have had it switched to "rearview" mode - I was making a "hands-free" call and listening to music at the same time - you can only do three things at once).
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #5

Changed rotors and pads. Cleaned the throttle body and put a new filter in my cold air intake. A good day, all in all! No problems, no hitches and a good result.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
I did run it directly to the input so I could record trucks going off the road that are trying to follow (darn, I WISH I would have had it switched to "rearview" mode - I was making a "hands-free" call and listening to music at the same time - you can only do three things at once).
Haaa, thats funny.

We could start a new thread...."video- Cars trying to hang with a Boxster in the twisties"

I still have to install my rear camera to my double DIN. Is there a way you can hook it up to record?

Being at one end of the Ortega (Major Twisties) I have the perfect location to film cars bouncing off the new guard rails and perhaps flying off into the abyss of the ravines.

The canopy of bushes is so thick in those ravines I think the car would just land on top of a big cushion of branches.

Motor cyclists never hit the bottom either but get hung up in branches as well.

However, getting out would be another matter altogether and its likely that the mountain lions in the area would find you an easy meal in those ravines.

Just thinking out loud (with a sense of humor) and eagerly awaiting my drive home from work.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Haaa, thats funny.

We could start a new thread...."video- Cars trying to hang with a Boxster in the twisties"

I still have to install my rear camera to my double DIN. Is there a way you can hook it up to record?
Hi jb92563,

You can do it two ways, I believe:

1). Hook backup camera to the video in on your head unit and then you can use video out to send to a portable digital video camera (or a GoPro - if you have one). My portable video camera, not a GoPro, will take signal via USB or VCR-type cable.

2). If you do NOT have video out, since that is a relatively new thing to OUTPUT a signal from the head unit, you can run the backup camera (which uses standard video cable, like for your DVD at home - hopefully you used shielding or a filter in the car since you HAVE to ROUTE the cables over or around the engine) to a splitter under your unit and connect up to the Head unit AND a stand alone video camera as a line in.

….you could always ask JD….the "dangerous crowd" has had this for years I'm guessing! You just don't hear about it….until you end up on YouTube!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi jb92563,

You can do it two ways, I believe:

1). Hook backup camera to the video in on your head unit and then you can use video out to send to a portable digital video camera (or a GoPro - if you have one). My portable video camera, not a GoPro, will take signal via USB or VCR-type cable.

2). If you do NOT have video out, since that is a relatively new thing to OUTPUT a signal from the head unit, you can run the backup camera (which uses standard video cable, like for your DVD at home - hopefully you used shielding or a filter in the car since you HAVE to ROUTE the cables over or around the engine) to a splitter under your unit and connect up to the Head unit AND a stand alone video camera as a line in.

….you could always ask JD….the "dangerous crowd" has had this for years I'm guessing! You just don't hear about it….until you end up on YouTube!

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing video out cables on the back of my radio. I'll have to see if the Chinglish manual gives me any clues as to how that will work.

Plan B was to have a swarm of Nano Copters guard my car.
A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors-Crazy must watch HD - YouTube

Seriously though I am building one of these and it's fascinating to tinker with.

I think Danger has one of these in his tool box.
HD FPV - Hunting Hydrogen Balloons with Fireworks - YouTube
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsport View Post
Pictures? What did you use for the cage and surround, wiring harness? That looks like a nice unit for the price.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote