986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What did you do with/to your Boxster today? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37273)

Paul 09-09-2012 05:15 PM

Just put 1,945 miles on my 01 since last Tuesday. Took the twisty way from Milwaukee to Watkins Glen for the vintage festival. Took express ways home....

Odometer now reads 95,359.

Devact 09-09-2012 05:19 PM

We've had ours for exactly 1 year yesterday, so on Friday we left St. Louis and drove to Indianapolis to visit friends for the weekend. Today we drove back home. Both ways we stayed off the interstate as much as possible, found some really cool roads and except for 15 minutes of rain, we were top down the whole way!

BMAN_986 09-09-2012 07:12 PM

Picked mine up from paint shop after total respray!

Vinney52 09-10-2012 03:34 PM

Just returned from a 1,000 mile trip down to Reno. To much interstate driving . But the drive over the Sierra Nevada Mt's makes the trip fun. Hwy 70 is pretty amazing.

Deserion 09-12-2012 01:13 PM

Drove my Boxster up to meet my mom, and we took delivery of her "new" 2006 Boxster in Carmon Red over Sand Beige with a manual. Damn it looks sharp! Pics coming. :D

BruceH 09-12-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMAN_986 (Post 305445)
Picked mine up from paint shop after total respray!

We need pics of that!

Deserion 09-12-2012 06:32 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...0/IMG_3916.JPG

Now my mom has joined the Porsche fold as well as my dad. So far, she loves her 987.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...0/IMG_3670.JPG

Dad digs his 964.

Think we're going to have a small cruise this weekend. :cool:

Mighty Shilling 09-12-2012 08:44 PM

I got a license plate finally! I also made my first of many payments. And drove her to work.

grubinski 09-15-2012 08:28 PM

Transaxle fluid change using the Porsche fluid (shifts much better), and a brake fluid flush with ATE gold (it had the blue stuff in it).

Also discovered a torn passenger side inboard CV boot, and a few other minor issues that I will take care of in the next week or so. Leaving for a road trip to California and back in two weeks.

kpm 09-16-2012 05:19 AM

Went to get gas yesterday, and 190 miles later we were home.

After breakfast I gotta get gas...again ;)

jb92563 09-16-2012 08:25 PM

My boxster got its weekly rinse, wash, drying and this time my chamois was leaving some smears.

I made the mistake of leaving the chamois out in the sun to dry and forgot it there for a couple days. I think the sun broke down the fibers or something because it seems to be leaving chamois particles when I wipe, like the material has broken down.

I could not stand the smears so I got out the Mothers carnuba wax and rewaxed the trunk and frunk where the chamois got streaky....much better now.

Is there any special care for a chamois? I seem to recall when I was a younster my dads chamois lasted for probably 10 years and mine is only 4 months old and seems to be failing (Picked it up from autozone)

Should I switch to microfiber towels or just get a better quality chamois?

Maybe I'm just a little too new to Porsches but washing and waxing a Boxster is like foreplay with a sexy woman, caressing her smooth curving lines with a foamy sponge, seeing her skin glisten with the water beading up on her, rubbing the wax gently on her with long languid stokes and polishing her up to a deep glowing sheen.
Im afraid Im enjoying it just a little too much. Have I gone mad or do others feel this way about their Boxsters too? :D

Ghostrider 310 09-17-2012 12:06 AM

Best product for after wash water removal.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1347869199.jpg

jb92563 09-17-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 306346)
Best product for after wash water removal.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1347869199.jpg

Thanks for the tip, ordered one from Amazon along with the Turtle Black Box system for black cars and some microfiber washing and polishing cloths. (To continue the theme ;) its like buying lingerie and cosmetics from "Victoria Secret" for your girl.)

And no circular rubbing or rotary tools, only in straight lines on a black car, thanks to these forums and all the handy tips.

Ghostrider 310 09-17-2012 10:07 AM

I read that wax is always supposed to be applied in the direction of wind over the body, straight. However, porter cable is random orbital and I would have no qualms about using it on black.

WhipE350 09-17-2012 12:36 PM

Local guy was selling clear side markers for $15 and a like new sport exhaust dual tip for $100. I already have the dual tip option on my 2007 Base (they are kind of oval shaped) so I switched them out for the fun of it to see if I like the round ones. Oh and I cleaned out my cabin filter. If the new dual tips don't work out I'll sell them here and someone with get an awesome deal too (they listed for $430). I'll post pics at some point.

dbear61 09-17-2012 07:44 PM

SE Wisconsin Drive

Yesterday I took my daughter on a 150 mile back-roads trip. Up the original WI HWY 57 thru Cedarburg and Saukville up to Plymouth. Ate lunch at a local eatery selected at random, then on the Greenbush for the northernmost end of the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive.

The Drive

There are many better twisties and sights to experience in many other places, but for SE Wisconsin, this is the one of the best. Our Friendly Illinois Brothers have to at least come to WI for the southern route for anything close to this.

Broke off the drive at the turn to Holy Hill, (map 9 on the URL) took a road called "St. Augustine Rd." which turned into "Hogsback Rd." :) Yes, "Hogsback". Then straight shot to USH 41 and back home. 5 hours with the top down.

Bad:
1) Loose gravel strewn on some corners due to people taking the corners on the shoulder instead of the road.
2) 80 degree September Sunday afternoons bring out minivans and trucks towing horse trailers. Irritating to get stuck behind them with no opportunity to safely pass.

Neutral:
Saw numerous Miatas, Vette and Mustang convertibles, four 60's vintage Triumphs in a group, some Sebring convertibles, even a 4G Firebird convertible and a 930 Whale Tail, but not a single fellow Boxster.

Good:
1) Taking numerous twisties level, uphill, down hill, at 20 MPH over posted turn caution.
2) Finding a few turns posted at 15 or 20 mph that could not be taken at 20 MPH over, and being able to brake through them without loss of control.
3) Five hours of top-down driving on what could be the last warm Sunday of the year in WI.
4) Turning onto a new road and immediately accelerating up a steep hill. After cresting, daughter says, "That felt like being in a jet accelerating at take off from the runway." :D

Priceless:
1) Actually driving on low-speed back-to-back twisties for first time since my May purchase and drive home through the Sierras.
2) After we got home, my daughter (25 y-o) says, "I thought 5 hours in your car would be too long, become boring and uncomfortable. That was a FUN drive!"

Washed and chamoised the car, used the Meguilar's plastic restore kit on the rear window, drove another 10 miles to the gorcery store 2 miles away for steaks.

Today it rained, :( but my GB Packers "G" logo license plate screw caps and tire valve stem covers arrived, so I have new accessories installed on my Forest (Packer) Green Boxster. Even my Bears fan neighbor gave me props on them. :)

DBear

Topless 09-17-2012 08:18 PM

Took it in to the shop today for fresh fluids and alignment. WSIR this weekend. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

paintboy 09-18-2012 05:40 AM

Drove up to lake Michigan and back to Indianapolis . Had sun, rain and got to see my spoiler for the first time while passing a church van.

Deserion 09-18-2012 06:34 PM

Changed the oil and filter. Much better.

BruceH 09-18-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbear61 (Post 306453)
Yesterday I took my daughter on a 150 mile back-roads trip. Up the original WI HWY 57 thru Cedarburg and Saukville up to Plymouth. Ate lunch at a local eatery selected at random, then on the Greenbush for the northernmost end of the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive.

The Drive

There are many better twisties and sights to experience in many other places, but for SE Wisconsin, this is the one of the best. Our Friendly Illinois Brothers have to at least come to WI for the southern route for anything close to this.

Broke off the drive at the turn to Holy Hill, (map 9 on the URL) took a road called "St. Augustine Rd." which turned into "Hogsback Rd." :) Yes, "Hogsback". Then straight shot to USH 41 and back home. 5 hours with the top down.

Bad:
1) Loose gravel strewn on some corners due to people taking the corners on the shoulder instead of the road.
2) 80 degree September Sunday afternoons bring out minivans and trucks towing horse trailers. Irritating to get stuck behind them with no opportunity to safely pass.

Neutral:
Saw numerous Miatas, Vette and Mustang convertibles, four 60's vintage Triumphs in a group, some Sebring convertibles, even a 4G Firebird convertible and a 930 Whale Tail, but not a single fellow Boxster.

Good:
1) Taking numerous twisties level, uphill, down hill, at 20 MPH over posted turn caution.
2) Finding a few turns posted at 15 or 20 mph that could not be taken at 20 MPH over, and being able to brake through them without loss of control.
3) Five hours of top-down driving on what could be the last warm Sunday of the year in WI.
4) Turning onto a new road and immediately accelerating up a steep hill. After cresting, daughter says, "That felt like being in a jet accelerating at take off from the runway." :D

Priceless:
1) Actually driving on low-speed back-to-back twisties for first time since my May purchase and drive home through the Sierras.
2) After we got home, my daughter (25 y-o) says, "I thought 5 hours in your car would be too long, become boring and uncomfortable. That was a FUN drive!"

Washed and chamoised the car, used the Meguilar's plastic restore kit on the rear window, drove another 10 miles to the gorcery store 2 miles away for steaks.

Today it rained, :( but my GB Packers "G" logo license plate screw caps and tire valve stem covers arrived, so I have new accessories installed on my Forest (Packer) Green Boxster. Even my Bears fan neighbor gave me props on them. :)

DBear

Thanks Dbear(not sure why you have that name as a Packer fan!) I'm originally from the Madison area so your drive brought back some old memories. I took those roads several times. Would love to take my Boxster up to Wisconsin one of these summers. Trouble is, you blink and summer is gone!