Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Talking Alarm Control Unit under seat (how to work)

I am in need of replacing the Alarm Module under the seat of my 1997 Porsche Boxster 986. I believe the part number is 99661826007. I plan to buy it from ********************************************.com (Porsche 99661826007 Results). Or perhaps anyone know of a better and cheaper place to get it from online? (USA preferred)

I heard from a friend thay it should come with a key for work-guarantee. But all of the module I find does not have a key. I have read somewhere that without a key in the kit, there will be some kind of reprogramming needed for this part to function and to start the car. (Or perhaps anyone know where I can get the complete kit with key online?)

Can anyone kindly give me more information on how I could make this part work for my particular vehicle? Kindly be specific/step-by-step so I can instruct my local import-car shop (not official porsche shop) on how he could do it with minimized errors and not waste money. I just wanted to make sure that everything will be in order before I continue with the purchase of the module. I just dont want to waste money in the order if it would only be an expensive paperweight.

I know this is the best place to get tons of information from very knowledgable porsche enthusiasts. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Kindly keep me posted guys. Thank you guys in advance!

John

Last edited by gunman168; 08-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
gunman168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman168 View Post
I am in need of replacing the Alarm Module under the seat of my 1997 Porsche Boxster 986. I believe the part number is 99661826007. I plan to buy it from ********************************************.com (Porsche 99661826007 Results). Or perhaps anyone know of a better and cheaper place to get it from online? (USA preferred)

I heard from a friend thay it should come with a key for work-guarantee. But all of the module I find does not have a key. I have read somewhere that without a key in the kit, there will be some kind of reprogramming needed for this part to function and to start the car. (Or perhaps anyone know where I can get the complete kit with key online?)

Can anyone kindly give me more information on how I could make this part work for my particular vehicle? Kindly be specific/step-by-step so I can instruct my local import-car shop (not official porsche shop) on how he could do it with minimized errors and not waste money. I just wanted to make sure that everything will be in order before I continue with the purchase of the module. I just dont want to waste money in the order if it would only be an expensive paperweight.

I know this is the best place to get tons of information from very knowledgable porsche enthusiasts. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Kindly keep me posted guys. Thank you guys in advance!

John
Take car and module to dealer for set up. Can't be done any other way. Requires special Porsche only equiptment. You do not need a new key. Most dealers seem to charge around $150 to do the work. Do a search and you will probably find other people asking and answering the same question
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

Garage
How about an aftermarket alarm system/keyless entry? Would that be a viable option? My keyless entry never worked in my used boxster. I ended up installing a keyless entry with remote start and it has been working great for the last 2 years. i ordered the unit from amazon for $40 and installed it myself in a couple of hours. an entire alarm system would probably take longer, but shouldnt be an issue for a car shop/installer. good luck.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
How about an aftermarket alarm system/keyless entry? Would that be a viable option? My keyless entry never worked in my used boxster. I ended up installing a keyless entry with remote start and it has been working great for the last 2 years. i ordered the unit from amazon for $40 and installed it myself in a couple of hours. an entire alarm system would probably take longer, but shouldnt be an issue for a car shop/installer. good luck.
I already needed replacement of the module because the car is already grounded and losing power after a few days (battery new, no alternator prob) most probably because of this already fried module which is causing all the trouble.
gunman168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The alarm system can only be replaced if you have the codes for your car's DME and alarm system, codes for your keys (if the alarm system is fried and cannot be downloaded) and a PST-2 or PIWIS.

A used alarm system is worthless without the codes or VIN of the car that it came from.

Some have had success replacing the DME, Alarm system, and all key fobs all from the same donor car. If you have emissions testing this method will end up having the VIN of the donor car stored in the DME and will confuse the test station.

The alarm system controls a lot more than the burglar alarm and cannot be replaced by anything on the aftermarket.

Bottom line, if your alarm system is fried you will need a new one plus 2 new key remotes and a dealers help. If the alarm system codes can still be downloaded to the PST-2, new key remotes will not be needed.

I have had issues with Automobile Atlanta spanning 3 decades, all of which were eventually resolved to my satisfaction.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote