View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Paul
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The alarm system can only be replaced if you have the codes for your car's DME and alarm system, codes for your keys (if the alarm system is fried and cannot be downloaded) and a PST-2 or PIWIS.

A used alarm system is worthless without the codes or VIN of the car that it came from.

Some have had success replacing the DME, Alarm system, and all key fobs all from the same donor car. If you have emissions testing this method will end up having the VIN of the donor car stored in the DME and will confuse the test station.

The alarm system controls a lot more than the burglar alarm and cannot be replaced by anything on the aftermarket.

Bottom line, if your alarm system is fried you will need a new one plus 2 new key remotes and a dealers help. If the alarm system codes can still be downloaded to the PST-2, new key remotes will not be needed.

I have had issues with Automobile Atlanta spanning 3 decades, all of which were eventually resolved to my satisfaction.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote