Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #81
Vista glass

Garage
Positive

Predominately positive attention whether I want it or not. I have a triple black and it is usually clean clean and clean. The top is down unless it is raining...hard. Men are not hesitant to comment at filling stations, restaurants, and car-parks. I have been asked more than once if I would like to sell it. Men tend to reach out and touch the glistening sleek fenders. Freudian? Women glance and take it all in but rarely say anything: sometimes I note a smile and a wistful expression. Young boys are exuberant with compliments and have shouted their approval from passing cars. I hope it might inspire them to do what they need to in their lives to get a reward such as this. When I pick my wife up at the airport heads swivel all the way down the arrivals lane following the sexy black growl. Might as well look to see who is going home in that machine.(see above about wistful looks). Our children think its way cool. I told them we consciously chose to procreate versus update our Porsche decades ago. they applaud our choices then and now.

We live in a metro area. There are several crosstowns, x-ways and limited access roads, I can use them to get into open country to air things out rather quickly. I have had the same experience related on this forum with the ricers,mustangs and big trucks wanting to give it a go. This just doesn't happen in the other vehicles I use. Sometime when conditions are right I oblige their curiosity about the Boxster. Thus far I have only had warnings from the Imperial Authorities when it is alleged that i may have possibly violated a statute. Nice officers each one of them , doing their job. I have been paced and had the finger wagged at also. I have a "Iparked next to a dough-head ding in the drivers door...from the covered lot at the office. Jealousy is one of the most complex of emotions don't you think?

Overall I believe the attention is just a result of the designers wunderbar embodiment of form following function oh so very well. That and the innate appeal of a drop top roadster and the entire concept that engenders for the operator and the observer. This has been done before, and it's my turn again

Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #82

Garage
My yellow "Coxster" seems to annoy the wankers that drive around in thumping big banger V8's over here. They will give me the bird or try and get me to have a go on the road, uh uh, too smart for that. We have new hoon laws here where if you are caught smoking the bags up (they call it lose traction) or exceeding the speed limit by more that 30 K's they take your car.

You then have to pay for the tow, picking it up, and of course the infringement notice. Oh you also just lost your licence... If you get caught three times, the car is crushed.

Happy with that, I don't do anything stupid, get the car to the posted speed limit as quick and safe as possible then stay on it.

Slowly our roads are getting cleared of the texters and hoons.

I think the speed yellow and the Porsche badge just gets up some peoples noses.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightngSVT View Post
Im wondering about what kind of both positive and negative attention your cars bring? Do you get admiring glances and people asking about the car or find people mess with your cars in parking lots (door dings, etc)? Most importantly what about cops? Do you get pulled over more frequently, or for no apparent reason (not talking about the times your caught testing the redline ).
Most people just ignore my Cayman. This actually surprised me quite a lot, because Porsches are unusual where I live. In general, most people these days just seem to treat cars as appliances. I haven't noticed anything different about cops, either, but that is likely because I rarely go any faster than surrounding traffic. I may actually be driving slower in the Cayman because of a fear of being a cop target, but regardless, they have ignored me. The one time I got stopped was the one time I violated my usual driving habits ... I was doing 65 in a 35 zone, and with that, I don't think it would have made any difference if I was in a Camry.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #84

I get lots of compliments, from very attractive young females to construction workers in their hard hats in the blazing sun to urban teenagers (all races) in the projects who holler across vacant lots, gorgeous 30 - 40 somethings when getting out of car in parking lots, even from 80 year ladies "my, what a pretty car!" and 14 year old kids "mister, I love your Porsche!" On way to work at 5:15 am through an area where homeless folks reside under the bridge, guy calls out from the dark, as I'm smoking some SUV (go figure) through an s-curve "you go Porsche!" In 4 years of ownership this happens at least once a week. In a major mid-west city. Really, I could go on and on. Unbelievable.

I'm just an average 62 year grey haired guy in an arctic silver 2000 base.

Not a single negative comment.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #85
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Most attention is fairly positive, mostly admiring, and sometimes I'll get politely asked about it by people...though usually this latter part happens when someone sees me loading things into both of the spots where the engine should be and wondering where it is. As common as I feel they are, I guess some people don't see them too terribly often.

I occasionally get people who just know it's a Porsche and assume it's some sort of 911 (like people who think a Glock is a type of pistol rather than a brand, or that every assault rifle is an AK-47), and get the WHOA! look because it's parked in a lot amongst run-of-the-mill Subarus, Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, and such.

Some of my co-workers wonder how the hell I can afford the thing, and at this point I'm tired of educating them on how these things don't all cost $60k, so I just let them think it costs whatever it costs in their minds, though this also does tend to get some people acting a bit jealous and stupid, so I am careful about who learns about it belonging to me. The co-workers who are my friends are car enthusiasts who know better and don't treat the car like it's a Countach 5000QV from a 1980s pinup.

And as quiet and understated as the early base cars are, some people seem to think it's some crazy-nasty powerhouse when I'm sitting at lights, and rev at me in their crappy pieces of crap (or maybe they realize that it really isn't fast at all and just want to claim that they beat a Porsche ). And I'm not talking from the high Porsche throne...these cars are the type where money's poured into making it "fast" but they don't have any left over for paint so it stays primer black/gray/white for years...and it's still not all that fast. I had a loser hanging out of the passenger window of his friend's Fast-and-Furious'd Civic trying to get my attention at a light because (read with oozing sarcasm) "Damn, that thing's fast! 'Scuse me...'scuse me!" (to be fair, it was painted, but he had "speed holes" in his rear bumper and all sorts of other stuff that cost more than the car itself or was just plain useless so that really destroys his shot at fairness)

Had a guy in front of me at a light scoping my car out in all of the mirrors of his Corolla (my DD car) and could see him say "nice". If he only knew less than a minute later my CEL was about to come on.

Overall though, people seem to be positive and don't really take issue with a younger gentleman driving a nice car and not being a complete douchebag about his existence.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #86
Ex Esso kid

I was parked on the side of the road talking to my neighbor, a guy sees the car from a nearby blvd and proceeds to take six months off his new Camaro's tires. It's like what was that? My car is off!!
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #87

Garage
It is amazing how many people (especially with a POS) want to rev their engines at a stop light ...even my wife notices how often that happens -- I just smile
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #88

Garage
After only a week of owning the car I have already had rice burners rev their engines at a light, a caprice classic with 20"ish rims and huge exhaust pipes floor it when the light turned green, and more than enough people complimenting the car. I have not seen another Boxster, and only one or two other Porsches period, so it does get looks.

The best one was....a real trashy looking lady, not being rude but she really looked like she was on the down side of a meth habit, asks me if it is mine. When I say yes she proceeds to say how she had one but upgraded to a Lexus. Had to bite my tongue.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #89
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
After only a week of owning the car I have already had rice burners rev their engines at a light, a caprice classic with 20"ish rims and huge exhaust pipes floor it when the light turned green, and more than enough people complimenting the car. I have not seen another Boxster, and only one or two other Porsches period, so it does get looks.

The best one was....a real trashy looking lady, not being rude but she really looked like she was on the down side of a meth habit, asks me if it is mine. When I say yes she proceeds to say how she had one but upgraded to a Lexus. Had to bite my tongue.

That probably made her envious, biting your tongue when your teeth fall out from meth is easier to say then do.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doragman View Post
It is amazing how many people (especially with a POS) want to rev their engines at a stop light ...even my wife notices how often that happens -- I just smile
I don't think they actually wanted to race - they're simply just intimidated... like a dog that barks.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #91

My Boxster gets zero attention, I am stationed in Germany - where Porsche is quite common.

The Mitsu Evo X on the other hand, everyone stops and stares. I let my German friend drive it with me inside and he was dumbfounded, asking "why is everyone looking at us?"
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6 View Post
Kinda unfair to single out the old Asian lady .. at least when they hit your car its not with a 4000lb Buick.
Well there's no doubt she was DUI of DWA!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #93
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post

Should have let her know that the proper upgrade path from Porsche is ferrari or Lamborghini. Everything else is either equal or downgrade

I'll let you guys decide what's considered a downgrade
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #94
2006 987

Garage
I went to walmart the other day and parked at the back and left the top down as I often do if the weather is nice. I was probably 50 yards from the car when I see security drive over and park behind it.

I think "that's strange" and proceed. I look back as I'm entering walmart and he's still there

I shop and come back maybe 20 minutes later and security is still parked behind my boxster

I think omg something must be wrong

As I approach he steps out and says "I was just keeping an eye on it for you.... I've always wanted one... Hey i know someone that has one and...." we talk about 20 minutes until I hear someone radio to him to get back to work

I was also stopped at home depot by a guy who had a bunch of questions

The attention this car draws is unbelievable
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #95

Garage
I get enough Negative reactions every time I drive my Boxster that I rarely make eye contact with anyone. Some people can handle a Porsche conv, some can handle a bright yellow car, but very few can handle both at one time. I am always driving too slow or too fast. If the truck has tires big enough to require the body to be raised, then it must require tailgating smaller than average cars also. Knowing they rarely upgrade the brakes to maintain oem braking performance with the huge wheels & tires, I never allow them to ride my bumper long. It is amazing how often I stop at a traffic light & see girls in adjacent cars start fixing their hair. I have put 87,K miles on this Box mostly on SoCA freeways & only pulled over by a Cop once. Ticketed for doing 75 in a 65mph zone at 6:30 am about 5 miles before WillowSprings Raceway. No other cars on the road. Drove from LA to LA (Louisiana) once got stopped in ElPaso & Calhoun County TX where the fine Deputy refered to my "little yellow car" & wrote me a ticket for speeding. (84mph in a 75) interesting how he knew this when he was miles away at the time of the infraction.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 07-17-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Sp.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #96

The 987S completely flies under the radar. The 993 Turbo, on the other hand, attracts a ton of attention.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #97

It's usually positive, but I seem to get a lot more negative jealousy from people older than me (I'm 23). From the younger crowd (my age and down), it usually is all positive.

As a nightclub promoter, I'm pretty well known around Tucson AZ, so I've had quite a few occasions of attractive women climbing into my car (of course, not without provoking )

And there is the occasional stop light ricer that wants to race. I don't, because I know I'll lose... Makes me wish my little 2.5 was a little faster haha
3.4 996 engine, you'll be mine one day!
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #98
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
The 993 Turbo, on the other hand, attracts a ton of attention.
Love your car! The paint looks flawless.

Looks like you changed your wheels. I like them a lot!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Love your car! The paint looks flawless.

Looks like you changed your wheels. I like them a lot!
Thanks! She just turned over 60,000 (s)miles. And +15 years young.

I had the Turbo Twists (996 Hollow Spokes) recently refinished and had Yoko AD08's installed. I still have the SpeedLines Daytonas, and will swap back & forth during the driving season.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #100
Ex Esso kid

Agreed on the sweet ride that certainly is in choice condition.