Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #1

Where did you buy your Porsche? new or used

funny little story, I want to tell, is how I bought my Porsche.... I took my Toyota MR2 Spyder into general maintenance (oil change all that) and I had no appt. it was a Saturday. The wait was 4 hours so I agreed, being happy that they took my car without appt.
So, I decided to kill time by listening to tunes and walked down the street. On PCH, there are many dealerships, so I decided to hunt around. I saw a red Honda Accord 2 door, but they weren't open at the time so I moved on...then I reached Mercedes Benz, and that's where I saw my car, a 2001 Boxster.... I looked it over carefully, looking for dings, and it was a sunny day of course, and I found that it really looked great. Then a salesman came to me and I asked him questions, it was really easy to deal with him, as the sticker price posted was 29,900, and at one point, but I got him down to 26300. So we did make the sale, but they kept me there for at least an hour, to make sure I wouldn't walk away...I told the sales guy "I'm not going to fall in love with this car" and he said "you should" lol so it was good and I got great financing, down payment on a credit card 0% financing on the life of the loan, so I was ready, and I did think about it, because the MR2 had top problems, big problems, tearing in the vinyl, I can go on, so I decided to buy the Porsche.
The best part of this all was taking it to Pacific Porsche, which rates as AAA in the Better Business Bureau. The directional signal stuck so I wanted to have them check it out, they said "we'll look it over." What they did was windows roll down repair, (not going down enough), door trims touch up, loosen door films, replace real main seal, remove/install transmission, clean transmission, and remove and replace steering column.
Suffice it to say, this car runs like a dream and the Pacific Porsche guys should receive a medal lol, because they went above and beyond what was required. This is good business practice, hands down... So, anyone have any other buying experiences they want to share? =)

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #2

I bought my car from along time friend. He sold the car to me at then went out and bought a Carrera GT. What a change going from a Boxster to a CGT.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #3

Welcome to Porsche land. Have your credit card in hand!

Congrats!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #4

I have a similar story. While I was waiting for my Audi TT 20K service and happen to wander over to the Certified Porsche showroom at Champion Porsche-Audi just to "look" anyway - I drove out with a pristine perfect '03 Boxster with 12K and two years left on the manufactureres warantee in addtion to the Certified warrantee/left the TT in trade/and $140 for the TT 20K service!!!!!!! I also had a great experience with my salesman and the dealership - both of whom went beyond what's expected when purchasing a car- Champion claims to be the largest Porsche dealership in the world and is a "Porsche Heaven" - last year while waiting for my TT I watched a Carrera GT being delivered. I did suffer a few hours of buyers remorse - but got over that quick enough when I took it on I95 for the first time!
tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #5

I saved my '01 from a Dodge dealer in Terrell, TX. They had a small inventory of high end used cars and the Boxster had been in their used car showroom for a couple of months. I had originally stopped to look at a very low mileage '00 996 Cabriolet when I spotted the Boxster. After a quick drive of both, I decided that the Boxster handled better and even though the Cab had quite a bit more power, the Boxster was half the price. I had already filled out the paperwork when the used car manager had a couple of tech's bring out the hardtop from his office, as he didn't want me to forget to take it with me. I had talked them down $5 grand and then to get a hardtop I wasn't counting on was quite a bonus.

:dance:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #6

Where is "the colony" anyway? I live in Houston.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #7

It's a suburb of Dallas, next to Plano/Frisco on the east and Lewisville Lake on the west.

It's not a cult, it just sounds like one.

:dance:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #8

I went to a local Honda dealer to have a look at an S2000. I had owned an Integra GS-R and currently owned a one year old RSX Type S, so the S2k seemed a perfect fit for me. They even had a yellow one, just like I wanted. I talk to a salesman, tell him I'm interested. Ask for a test drive. He tells me that they don't do test drives on the S2000. I tell him there's no way in hell I'm buying a $35,000 car without a test drive. He tells me he'd need a deposit and my signature on a purchase contract. I tell him I'd like to speak with his manager. He leaves me in the showroom for 10 minutes. So I leave. The salesguy chases me in the parking lot to try to get me to come to the table. I tell him he's not the only Honda dealer in town and I'm taking my business elsewhere.

On my way home I pass a lot that deals primarily in used Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes cars. They have a couple Boxsters and 911s. They put me in a Black 2001 Boxster. It takes me about two minutes to decide that I am going to buy this car if my research checks out (I wanted to make sure it was reliable and that maintenance wouldn't put me in the poor house).

The kicker was that I was finally going to the Indianapolis 500 after years of watching the race on TV, and the whole time I was there I couldn't wait to get home so I could pick up my Boxster!

So, to any of you who sell Hondas, the moral of the story is this... When a guy who has owned two VTEC powered Hondas expresses interest in your roadster, let him drive it. I probably would've gone home with it. It may be special to you because you don't sell many $35,000 cars, but remember that a potential customer could walk into Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes and drive cars that cost $20,000 more than your car without the salesman even getting nervous.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #9

I narrowed my list to S2000, BoxsterS, SLK, Z4.

Then I watched TopGear with Tiff Needell. They rated the best sports cars in the world. At the top of the list was the Boxster and they made a strong argument for residiual value. A week later I saw my Silver and Red 2000 S on Ebay being sold by a local Acura dealer with only 10,000 miles. Bought it the following weekend. The red interior got me off the "maybe I better not buy so quickly" fence.
Passing up this car would have been a BIG mistake because I haven't seen another one like it in over a year with low miles and the price I paid.

Sometimes it feels like everyone is more excited about my car than me!
But it will keep me satisfied until I pick up that Maserati Gransport in pearl white with Blue leather.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-30-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote