Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

$59 Short shift it - My review

After the kind input from forum members I pulled the trigger on the $59 kit. The instructions were not all that great but having had pulled off my center console a number of times and knowing the shifter it was not a concern plus there are several DIY's on the net so they were helpful. Aside from a few minor hitches it went in just fine - total time about 2+ hours maybe.

Functionality - Wow! This thing is definitely a LOT shorter shifting. It all but eliminated the front-back play that was so prevalent in my MY2000 81K base model (play was pretty bad). side to side play was cut down by maybe 30% which is good... perhaps if I were to go with new shifter cables it would take care of this but honestly its not an issue for me. The moment I first used it was very strange... took a lot more effort but the motion was cut WAY down feeling almost like a shift gate. I am VERY pleased with it. With almost a hundred miles it was maybe the best money spent on the car yet. The shifts are MUCH more positive and much quicker.

I was about to go with the B&M but after hearing others say that they are truly all the same I would have to agree with them... they probably all come out of the very same place only to get either engraving or stickers put on them so they can justify the 250%+ mark-ups. I also took the advice of reversing the shifter lever itself and that was very helpful, thank you guys!

Hope this helps others. Any questions fire away.

Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

Do you have a link to the FS thread?

**edit**
Never mind, I found it in the other thread.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

What do you guys use for the top of the tip? Do you use a factory head or does it come with it's own little plastic top. I'm talking about that little thing that has the gear engraving on top of it. Like, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and R. I'm considering this mod.
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
What do you guys use for the top of the tip? Do you use a factory head or does it come with it's own little plastic top. I'm talking about that little thing that has the gear engraving on top of it. Like, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and R. I'm considering this mod.
Just use the old one. It is not the shift stick you are replacing; but the shifting mechanism.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Just bought one ...

@Leeper

Been thinking about getting this upgrade for a while and thanks to your review I just purchased one.

I'm a DIY'er but not complicated projects. I changed out my cat, my window regulator and do my own brakes. You mentioned some sites that have some detail on how to change this. Do you have any links to share?links.

Thanks
Bobby
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987

There are a number of other sites to find the install instructions as well. The instructions, especially the pictures, have much to be desired but it's not much of a job.

Again, as per earlier advice, I'd also recommend turning the shifter lever around so it leans the other way (away from driver versus towards), you'll be much happier. Why it comes the other way I have no idea.

I used the stock shifter knob and leather boot... looks perfectly stock but everything functions much better.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. Have one sitting in a box to be installed. Btw, I was told to use the B and M install instructions.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #8

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:22 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

I bought one of those cheap short-shifters off of eBay in 2006. About a year ago the end of the lower ball joint snapped off mid-shift and left me stranded on the roadside. Got a tow for only $95 and ordered the B&M kit.
Looking at the broken ball joint the metal even looks like crap. YMMV.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
After the kind input from forum members I pulled the trigger on the $59 kit. The instructions were not all that great but having had pulled off my center console a number of times and knowing the shifter it was not a concern plus there are several DIY's on the net so they were helpful. Aside from a few minor hitches it went in just fine - total time about 2+ hours maybe.

Functionality - Wow! This thing is definitely a LOT shorter shifting. It all but eliminated the front-back play that was so prevalent in my MY2000 81K base model (play was pretty bad). side to side play was cut down by maybe 30% which is good... perhaps if I were to go with new shifter cables it would take care of this but honestly its not an issue for me. The moment I first used it was very strange... took a lot more effort but the motion was cut WAY down feeling almost like a shift gate. I am VERY pleased with it. With almost a hundred miles it was maybe the best money spent on the car yet. The shifts are MUCH more positive and much quicker.

I was about to go with the B&M but after hearing others say that they are truly all the same I would have to agree with them... they probably all come out of the very same place only to get either engraving or stickers put on them so they can justify the 250%+ mark-ups. I also took the advice of reversing the shifter lever itself and that was very helpful, thank you guys!

Hope this helps others. Any questions fire away.
I swapped out my 01 shifter for 997 shifter some 4 years ago. shorter shift, but "slop"?? Just examined the old shifter, I can't figure out where the "front to back" and "side to side " slop that members are talking about.
from pure geometry, the short shifter should have more slop.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Installation instructions link:
http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/45135.pdf
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Actually stickers are not a major contributing factor in the price (dig your joking side no worries).

One manufacturer makes the kit to last for years and therefore meeting ISO standards. Manufactured by an insured company who meets basic social responsibilities. Not cheap these days

The parts you get is CNC'd and worth half in tooling and electricity. I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum meets recycled grades Worst case scenario is gradual loosing effect and/or perhaps total failure of the mechanism. What else can really go wrong for $59

Whoever you think sells them at +250% are using the real thing. Mind you mate, some consumers are able to differentiate the various metals and manufacturing processes. Until today, nobody have complained officially of anyone selling cheap alloys at +250%

Not affiliated or anything.... it just worth what it's worth brotha
All in all my shifter has been given me no problems yet, but I will keep the board posted if issues arise. Unless you are the hulk on steroids shifting like mad escaping the police, there should be no humanly way possible to bend/break the metal even with metal fatigue set it. The user that bought the ebay shifter may of bought it from a different seller, so we can't label all lower priced ebay products as inferior. But, like said- I will keep the board posted.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote