Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Can't buy gas?

Alright, here is what is going on, My 2000 is very hard to start after buying gas. The first time it happened I had just got the car and went to the gas station and filled her up and no start. I ended up getting towed and swapped out the ignition switch and then it started but ran rough for a couple of minutes. I got a check engine light at that moment and the codes were 1128 and 1130. I cleared the codes and they never came back. So last night I decided to get some gas again but did not fill it up and it finally started after a lot of cranking with the pedal mashed to the floor. Ran fine and no more problems.

So I decided today to risk it all and go to the gas station and fill it the rest of the way up. I went to a station close to my house and on a small hill just in case and I did have a hell of a time getting it started again but it eventually fired up and I had to hold the gas on for a bit otherwise it would stall. I am getting an howling noise every once in awhile from the hose near the gas cap in the front of the car. While I was skimming pages the other day I noticed that other people were having similar problems but my search today did not turn up much. I remember reading about some check valves behind the headlight that might be the culprit.

Any ideas? I really need to buy gas to have some fun.

amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #2

Bad MAF? Those two codes are identical to the ones I had prior to MAF replacement and they went away entirely. My symptoms were way different though. I believe there was an updated gas cap number as well (others may chime in). Is the cap going on right?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The engine codes imply that the engine is running lean beyond the range of the ECU (the ECU has reached the enrichment limit):

P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold
P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

Here is some info on the issue. The MAF is certainly also a suspect. I'd check for air leaks and then clean the MAF. Both easy and cheap to do before you start replacing anything.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-18-2012 at 08:06 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #4

I am already changing the maf out just for maintenance. I read up a little more and found that it could be the charcoal canister and or the check valves.

I am going to the local yard and going to pull the check valves and a canister to see if a little swapping will not cure my problem. The boxster at the yard has been pretty picked through already but I don't think they got to these parts.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

I checked the purge valves behind the fender liner and both are working when I tested them with 12v. Should I change the charcoal canister next or the purge valve below the intake manifold?

Oh yeah I am heading to a fuel vapor problem as now I am throwing the code p0446. It almost seems as the engine is flooded when i fill the tank with gas. So I was thinking that maybe the purge valve made the most sense or am I nuts.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
1999 base

Garage
did you try starting the engine (after fill up) with the gas cup off?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
WV Boxster

Garage
How about letting. It run the while you fill up?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
did you try starting the engine (after fill up) with the gas cup off?
yep doesn't work, still won't start.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
How about letting. It run the while you fill up?
yep tried that to and when I pull the cap off the car runs fine but as soon as I put any gas in it will start to stumble then die. Last time I got $.14 in before it killed the car. Needless to say with gas prices now I can not get very far on that.