Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Wheel spacers and lug nuts.

So I have to change my lug nuts on all four wheels. They are pretty rusted and on the driver rear wheel the nuts are looking pretty ugly.

So I went to some sites and the lug nuts are pretty expensive going for 8,7 and the cheapest ones i could find that are not Chinese were 6.85 each. So I did some more searching and came across these RSS spacers that bring there own lug nuts and the pair of spacers cost $65 any size from 5,7,15, and 18mm.

Got this from: Wheel Spacers for Porsche by RSS Hubcentric spacers black-Stable Energies

These means i can get spacers for all four for the same price as just buying the lug nuts alone. I have the stock sport classics 17in 205 in the front and 255 in the rear if im not mistaken. Wanted to know what size spacers you guys sugest? Does anyone have these spacers? Does this seem like a good price? I mean i looked around but sometimes someone else can find something better. I read that most people go with a 7 in the front and 15 in the back to get a flush wheel look. Let me know what you guys think.

Got this pic from:WTB: 17 inch Sport Classic wheels - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

On a completely different topic, My friend filmed me getting to the engine bay and I will hopefully upload the edited video on youtube so that everyone with a glass guah top can get an idea of how to get acces. I was still disappointed with the limited space i got but i had to do with that. Also still cant get the side vent out to de-snorkel so i just gave up on that.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Yup those lug nuts need some replacing. Wow, I have never seen them like that. I replaced mine this past summer and I have to say the look of fresh lugs is AWESOME. Finishes off my chrome wheels to perfection. You will love the look of those new lugs on those sweet wheels.

Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #3

Garage
Road Sport Supply makes some great products . However, the prices that are shown on that site are misleading .

RSS Wheel Spacers for Porsche Models - RSS

RSS Wheel Spacers for Porsche Models - RSS
Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Carnut

I started with 7 front and 15 back with 17" OEM wheels but changed the front to 15mm as well, just looks better. For 17" wheels - 18" or bigger might be diffrent depending on offset.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
I started with 7 front and 15 back with 17" OEM wheels but changed the front to 15mm as well, just looks better. For 17" wheels - 18" or bigger might be diffrent depending on offset.
I did like Andy, 15mm front & back on 17" wheels. I replaced lug bolts with chrome ones and really like the change as it gives the wheels a finished look that is missing on stock bolts. They look like there should be caps on them that went missing.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #6

ya the prices are a bit weird Johnny. It actually changes depending on size the 65 dollar ones are just the piar of 5mm spacers no nuts. Then depending on size and color the price changes so for a 7in pair silver i would pay 130. So now im a bit confused. Still want to buy the lug nuts but getting spacer would cost me around 190 or more so I might just get lug nuts. That is unless someone has a better deal or if someone knows of a good set of lug nuts at a decent price. Any way I might end up stopping by the Stable shop and see what they have and if i might be able to get a discount. Its worth a try.

Last edited by Bmod986; 02-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
ya the prices are a bit weird Johnny. It actually changes depending on size the 65 dollar ones are just the piar of 5mm spacers no nuts. Then depending on size and color the price changes so for a 7in pair silver i would pay 130. So now im a bit confused. Still want to buy the lug nuts but getting spacer would cost me around 190 or more so I might just get lug nuts. That is unless someone has a better deal or if someone knows of a good set of lug nuts at a decent price. Any way I might end up stopping by the Stable shop and see what they have and if i might be able to get a discount. Its worth a try.
One thing I forgot to mention was to be sure to get longer bolts if you are adding spacers. They come in various lengths. Old Dan Gerous knows his stuff along these lines and I would recommend heeding his advice.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

The lug nut sizes i made sure to research properly, and if i do go with the rss they bring there own lug nuts for each size except for the $65 5mm set. By the way allen those chrome lug nuts look real cool on those rims. It gives it a mirror look that i kind of like, almost like droplets of water.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #9

Garage
If it wasn't for the fact that your lug bolts are so far gone, I would suggest getting a set of cover/caps to place over the bolt heads . Believe it or not, they're simple to use and they look good. On the other hand, there are other sources that you can pick up a set of high quality spacers for much less money . In fact, a good person to ask is no other than Mr. Littlefield himself (aka The Grand Poobah of New Paltz) . In past, he found a seller on eBay who was offering some nice spacers for cheap .

(20) Chrome Cap Covers for Wheel Lug Nut Bolt 19mm Hex | eBay