Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #61
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I love those first gen MR2 but anyone over 6' won't fit in it and I'm 6'2. 2nd gen Turbos are way faster but they seem to hug walls like the 911s. 3rd gen are really nice once you do a 3SGTE swap or Turbo install.
The V6 in mine is a 200hp/200lbft 3.0L from the Camry/ES300. Same ratings as the stock turbo but the torque band is more flat and the car is lighter than the turbos. It's less equipped and the engine is a little lighter, so it should be at least as fast as the stock turbo. Probably about in line with a 2.7 986. The 91-92 cars do have lift throttle oversteer. The rear end toes out under compression. Toyota changed the suspension in 93 to make the car more of an understeerer. The track guys like the quicker responses of the earlier cars, you just can't do anything dumb through a corner or it will bite. The MKII isn't as tossable as the MKI (I've driven both) but it's more stable in general, longer wheelbase and wider track. The MKII is about 5 inches shorter than the 986, 1" shorter wheelbase, and 3" narrower, weight distribution is about the same. So it's not too far off from the 986. With manual steering and the low seating height, the car is really fun on the road.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-22-2012 at 06:14 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #62
Porscheectomy

The car came in from California today. With the v6, crank windows, manual locks and LSD, it's like a little Cayman R.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote