Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Garage
Front Bumper Finish Help

Recently my front Bumper is showing signs of "peeling". Imagine a screen protector on a cell phone/Ipod.

It is bubbling and peeling. The color of the paint is fine its just this film covering it.

Has anyone experienced this? How would I go about correcting it?

I seems like I could peel off the film and then clear coat it??????

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

it might have an aftermkt clear bra on it. Basically, it's a plastic film. As with the rear window in your soft top, over time (and w/o proper care) it can yellow (hard to tell on some colors) and become brittle/crack. If so, you will be able to peel it off (lightly heat will aid in the process) and just polish/wax the paint w/ clear coat underneath once all the glue residue is removed.

Where it has already peeled/cracked is paint underneath still glossy? If so, it's likely an aforementioned clear bra. If paint is dull then your clear coat could be peeling away which will likely require full respray of base and clearcoat. Can you find some edges/corners (i.e. remove the headlight module or side marker light and see if there is an end to the film)? A picture would help immensely.

FWIW, most clear bras from that era were "guaranteed" to last/not yellow for ~ 5-7 years... w/o "proper" maintenance other than washing. So even if it was put on in '02-'03, it could be about time...

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Matt

I've not seen it happen on a Porsche but, clear-coat can peel. I would take it to a good paint shop and get an opinion prior to peeling it off.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

Garage
It is not 3m.....it is def. the clearcoat. the paint underneath looks great.

I saw a can of clear coat remover at Auto Zone Yesterday.....could I just remove the flaking clearcoat and then reapply new clearcoat?
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #5

Garage
Here is a pic.

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15636&stc=1&d=1321182900
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #6

"It is not 3m.....it is def. the clearcoat. the paint underneath looks great." - is a little contradictory. If it is the clearcoat, the paint will be a bit dull. If it's a film, the paint will look great.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #7

Garage
I suppose you are correct....Its almost as if someone put Clearcoat OVER the clearcoat???

The "film" that is peeling is a hard plastic....if that helps
Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Does it chip off in flaky pieces? Usually when there is a 3m bra you would see a delineation on the hood from bra transition to the paint. It is possible only your bumper was done. I've not seen what 3m does when it gets old and tired i.e. does it flake or peel..maybe someone else could answer. Possibly someone just sprayed some clear paint on the bumper. It is encouraging that the paint seems good underneath. Stop by a good paint shop, they could probably tell you in 3 minutes...the next thing is what to do about it .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Registered Boxster abuser

if you bought it used esp from a dealer, the bumper may have been refinished or touched up.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
It is not 3m.....it is def. the clearcoat. the paint underneath looks great.

I saw a can of clear coat remover at Auto Zone Yesterday.....could I just remove the flaking clearcoat and then reapply new clearcoat?
Could you? Sure. Should you? Your call. I would take it to my paint/body shop and have it repaired once perfectly.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #11

Garage
Better pics

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15642&stc=1&d=1321270334

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15643&stc=1&d=1321270334

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15644&stc=1&d=1321270334
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #12

ok, now I'm with you. Definitely looks like a respray which wasn't cured properly... basically a quick masking effort - especially if bought through a dealer. You're best bet would be to take it to a quality body shop and have it resprayed (and cured) properly. Should be $600 or so.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #13

Ouch. $600 for a front bumper respray. I think I'd buy the equipment and learn how to do paint work myself... Which I've been threatening to do anyway. My front bumper cover looks even worse.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Ouch. $600 for a front bumper respray. I think I'd buy the equipment and learn how to do paint work myself... Which I've been threatening to do anyway. My front bumper cover looks even worse.
Ouch is right! I think I could handle the prep work definitely. My only concern would be matching the color of the paint.....it is not factory paint.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #15

Garage
Randall....here is an option for both of us":

Pelican Parts - Product Information: PNA-503-986-18-OEM
Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #16

I'm betting you could take the bumper to an automotive paint place and ask them to match it for you.

John, I aint covering up my nasty bumper. Been there, done that. It was a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo. What a pain in the ass to put on and take off and it flapped around on the freeway and scratched my hood.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

It all depends on whether you want a clean car or not. You can't do a paint job in your garage with cheap spray equipment and come close to factory paint matching or blending. Not even with 10 years experience.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #18

Steve, I guess I'll have to sand down the whole car and keep shooting it and sanding it and shooting it and sanding it until I have a finish I'm pleased with. Every other panel or area of my car could use a respray anyway. The car is a 1997 with 110k on it and it was treated poorly its whole life.

I've seen guys with zero experience, a little money, and a lot of desire figure out how to do amazing automotive paint work in their garages. I'm a guy. Therefore, I too can get a good paint job if I'm willing to do the homework and then the work at home.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
I'm betting you could take the bumper to an automotive paint place and ask them to match it for you.

John, I aint covering up my nasty bumper. Been there, done that. It was a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo. What a pain in the ass to put on and take off and it flapped around on the freeway and scratched my hood.
Randall...thanks for the advice....no Bra for me then.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Steve, I guess I'll have to sand down the whole car and keep shooting it and sanding it and shooting it and sanding it until I have a finish I'm pleased with. Every other panel or area of my car could use a respray anyway. The car is a 1997 with 110k on it and it was treated poorly its whole life.

I've seen guys with zero experience, a little money, and a lot of desire figure out how to do amazing automotive paint work in their garages. I'm a guy. Therefore, I too can get a good paint job if I'm willing to do the homework and then the work at home.
When you get it done, I'd love to see photos. I prefer to drop it off at the shop and pick it up complete and perfect when I need work done. I don't have the time, or patience, to try to do a top-drawer paint job. That's why God created body shops and professional painters. I prefer to give them the work. My shop, like many, provide a lifetime guarantee on the paint and work. That's worth a LOT to me.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 11-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote