Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Why I'm Buying Hankooks Instead of Pirellis...

Dear tire zealots: I know that my Porsche didn't come with Hankook Ventus v12 evo k110's. I know that some of you are genuinely posting constructive comments - but others here just can't help but point out that some of us are buying non-N-rated tires.

I know I can spend $1000 on tires. I also know that, due to my lack of self control on the autocross course, I leave far more tire on the track than I need to, and the extra tenth of a G that an additional $400 buys is a waste given my current driving ability.

There are always better components - lightweight wheels, carbon ceramic brakes - but in all fairness, I'm driving an '03 Boxster worth 16-18 grand that churns out a mighty 228 horsepower, and I'm driving it around cones on a rutted, gravelly parking lot. I'm not demeaning my car - I love it, and it's an amazing machine, but it's not like I'm out trying to set a new Nordschleife lap record in a 600HP monster. Being able to afford two sets of less expensive tires instead of trying to coax an extra couple of months out of some tattered Pirellis makes sense to me. No, the Hankooks I'm buying aren't N-rated, but then, neither am I.

I've worn out a set of S.Drive's and I've worn out the set of Pirellis that my Boxster came with. Perhaps I'm such a motoring philistine that I can't appreciate the subtleties between tires - but so far, the only tires I've noticed a tremendous impact from were the BFG G-Force Sports, which absolutely sucked. What they lacked in grip they made up for in sidewall flex.

I may never devote enough weekends to becoming a good driver, so trading a tenth of a G for double the treadwear makes sense to me. I'm sure it's blasphemy to some of the purists out there - but then again, I'm fairly sure that some of the purists out there have never hit the rev limiter or felt the pulse of the ABS pounding out its insistent reminder that you're about to plow through a line of cones and a corner worker or two.

P.S. To folks like thstone who post up links, informed opinions, and helpful information, thanks. To those who just serve up the Party line, the cheapskates here really DO know about Porsche approved tires. We're just living on the edge.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 08-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

I've been very pleased with my Dunlop Star Specs and they are pretty affordable. Never auto-crossed them but am a "spirited" driver usually, so they've been pushed a bit. I, too, can't justify the $1k in tires.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #3

Like!!!!!!
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #4

I am running the ventus on my 19s and kept up with a pro driver in his pdk spyder on 226a "the loop" I can say that I have never pushed my car to the limits that I did that day. The tire did heat up but were great performers. There not race tires by no means but are great for the enthusiast that may spin the tire alittle too much. I don't feel bad about having to buy some new tires at there price.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Dear tire zealots: I know that my Porsche didn't come with Hankook Ventus v12 evo k110's. I know that some of you are genuinely posting constructive comments - but others here just can't help but point out that some of us are buying non-N-rated tires.

I know I can spend $1000 on tires. I also know that, due to my lack of self control on the autocross course, I leave far more tire on the track than I need to, and the extra tenth of a G that an additional $400 buys is a waste given my current driving ability.

There are always better components - lightweight wheels, carbon ceramic brakes - but in all fairness, I'm driving an '03 Boxster worth 16-18 grand that churns out a mighty 228 horsepower, and I'm driving it around cones on a rutted, gravelly parking lot. I'm not demeaning my car - I love it, and it's an amazing machine, but it's not like I'm out trying to set a new Nordschleife lap record in a 600HP monster. Being able to afford two sets of less expensive tires instead of trying to coax an extra couple of months out of some tattered Pirellis makes sense to me. No, the Hankooks I'm buying aren't N-rated, but then, neither am I.

I've worn out a set of S.Drive's and I've worn out the set of Pirellis that my Boxster came with. Perhaps I'm such a motoring philistine that I can't appreciate the subtleties between tires - but so far, the only tires I've noticed a tremendous impact from were the BFG G-Force Sports, which absolutely sucked. What they lacked in grip they made up for in sidewall flex.

I may never devote enough weekends to becoming a good driver, so trading a tenth of a G for double the treadwear makes sense to me. I'm sure it's blasphemy to some of the purists out there - but then again, I'm fairly sure that some of the purists out there have never hit the rev limiter or felt the pulse of the ABS pounding out its insistent reminder that you're about to plow through a line of cones and a corner worker or two.

P.S. To folks like thstone who post up links, informed opinions, and helpful information, thanks. To those who just serve up the Party line, the cheapskates here really DO know about Porsche approved tires. We're just living on the edge.
Did you just spend all the time it took to write this to tell someone who criticized a choice of tire that you don't care about their opinion?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Hankooks are great tires. N-rating is simply a marketing tool. N-rated tires always perform well and always cost a lot more than they should.

If you are running at the "Q" you probably need rally tires.

Last edited by Topless; 08-03-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #7

Heh. No, not specifically. I joined here what, 3 or 4 years ago, and in that time I've seen the same response over and over. To the credit of 986forum members, there's less rabid adherence to the N-rating mantra here than on other Porsche forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Did you just spend all the time it took to write this to tell someone who criticized a choice of tire that you don't care about their opinion?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
I've been very pleased with my Dunlop Star Specs and they are pretty affordable. Never auto-crossed them but am a "spirited" driver usually, so they've been pushed a bit. I, too, can't justify the $1k in tires.
Forgive me the semi-hijack, but how many miles do you have on your Star Specs? How many do you expect to get (assuming you've had them long enough to estimate)? I ask because I seriously considered them the last time I got new rubber---the only thing I worried about on the Star Specs was that they'd not deliver very many miles before needing to be replaced. True or not?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #9

I think ballpark, I have about 5k on them right now and they look brand new, but like I said I don't auto-cross. I do drive pretty aggressively though so they get "used". They still grip wonderfully and didn't break my bank. There was a bit of tire "drone" for the first hundred miles or so, but it went away and they are actually very quiet tires as well. Highly recommend.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #10

My favorite part of this whole thread...

"No, the Hankooks I'm buying aren't N-rated, but then, neither am I."
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
I think ballpark, I have about 5k on them right now and they look brand new, but like I said I don't auto-cross. I do drive pretty aggressively though so they get "used". They still grip wonderfully and didn't break my bank. There was a bit of tire "drone" for the first hundred miles or so, but it went away and they are actually very quiet tires as well. Highly recommend.

I also highly recommend the Star Specs. I have several AXs on them and have driven across the country on the same set amazing tires there was a special on them on tire rack. but with out it now it is still about 650 for a set.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #12

My last set of tires, the ultra-expensive Pirellis, were one of the worst tires that I've ever had on any car...

/
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Thumbs up

.........................Like!

Fuzion ZRi !
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

If you want a really good tires, and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them, go with the Kuhmo ASX. I put them on both of my Boxsters. They have out performed Pirellis, Conti, and Toyo. IMHO, for the price, you can't do better. They will surprise you.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #15

What about Sumitomo HTR ZIII?
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #16

Smile

I have been driving on the Sumitomo HTR Z111 since I bought the car in 2009 (Boxster98) and driven from Florida to Mtl in mostly rain. Still have them on and I love them.
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
I use Hankook R-S3s for autox and daily driving. Yesterday I finally got to drive them in a heavy downpour and they did great, and they are second only to R compound tires for autox.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #18
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and think they're great. I'm not tracking the car yet, so they do their job on the street and allow for plenty of spirited driving from me without letting go. To me they're worth the jus shy of $1k I paid (for the purchase and mounting total, not just the rubber). Close to 3000 miles on them so far and they look fine.

My sister has a 99 that was in terrible need of some new tires last year. I got her a deal on some UHP A/S Kumhos and I have to say they seem just as capable as the Michelins for a good $300 less overall for the purchase and job. She doesn't drive the thing nearly enough, so they're likely going to hit their age limit before they wear due to mileage, but they're on my list of consideration for my next set, which, if I drive the car as much as I want to in the next year, I'll probably be looking for within the next year and a half or two.

I don't knock anyone on their tire choice, the only thing I say is be willing to spend the money, because if you cheap out too much, you'll get what you pay for. I don't live in perpetual summer, so I need A/S tires, because this car's no garage queen, and so long as the tires last decently and hold on to the ground, they're good in my book.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Heh. No, not specifically. I joined here what, 3 or 4 years ago, and in that time I've seen the same response over and over. To the credit of 986forum members, there's less rabid adherence to the N-rating mantra here than on other Porsche forums.
I haven't seen many sticklers for N-rated tires here.

The practice of testing and approving certain products for a particular car is a really nice service provided by Porsche (whatever the motivation). They are saying that they've tested this particular tire and is works up to their standards. Unfortunatly, judging from the quality of some of the parts on this car, their standards aren't necessarily that high (who has ever had to fix a fuel vapor system on a Toyota? but I digress). This isn't to say that other tires or other oils aren't completely acceptable and even better performing, they just haven't been tested.

So someone who questions the purchase of a tire or oil that is not Porsche approved is overemphasizing the effectiveness of the process and doesn't really understand why the approval process exists. I haven't seen a "do not use" list.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #20

My RE-11's are the bees knees. Feels just like an R-Comp. Although not the greatest in the puddles. In that respect I miss the GY Eagle F1's. The B'stones are not cheap though but here's how I look at it:
you may not be a world class driver but the car is world class. If you're going to have a car like that no point in cutting a marginal corner on such important element on the basis price. If we were talking about twice the price okay maybe but that's not the case with a budget tire vs. a premium tire. Now if the budget tire performs and is only cheap because of less marketing and all that other nonsense then that's also another matter. Personally I don't think the savings is worth going to a cheaper tire if its going to get bumpy, lumpy and buttery after x amount of miles.
And to the OP, I wouldn't use HP as factor in determining the car's "sports car value". This particularly true with Porsches, they've never been known for being HP monsters. I almost look at HP as a way for a poorly engineered and balanced car to hide its flawes since most drivers will never have the foot to the metal with the wheel turned. Even minivans come with 300 hp now... gotta get to yo gabba gabba show asap!

At the end of the day tires aren't like a one time gas fill up. They're going to be on your car for at least a season if not two if you run a winter tire. From my view, the extra $400 to be on AAA+ rubber is not worth the savings since most guys will end up blowing that $400 on a night out, some unecessary gadget, expensive pair of sneakers or shoes, etc. Maybe not the $400 all at once but definitely over the course of a year, ceratinly over two years. Life is indeed about choices. That's why a bought a 50" Panasonic Vierra Plasma for $600 instead of the $1400 LED Sharp at Costco.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-05-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote