View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
sd_boxster

Why I'm Buying Hankooks Instead of Pirellis...

Dear tire zealots: I know that my Porsche didn't come with Hankook Ventus v12 evo k110's. I know that some of you are genuinely posting constructive comments - but others here just can't help but point out that some of us are buying non-N-rated tires.

I know I can spend $1000 on tires. I also know that, due to my lack of self control on the autocross course, I leave far more tire on the track than I need to, and the extra tenth of a G that an additional $400 buys is a waste given my current driving ability.

There are always better components - lightweight wheels, carbon ceramic brakes - but in all fairness, I'm driving an '03 Boxster worth 16-18 grand that churns out a mighty 228 horsepower, and I'm driving it around cones on a rutted, gravelly parking lot. I'm not demeaning my car - I love it, and it's an amazing machine, but it's not like I'm out trying to set a new Nordschleife lap record in a 600HP monster. Being able to afford two sets of less expensive tires instead of trying to coax an extra couple of months out of some tattered Pirellis makes sense to me. No, the Hankooks I'm buying aren't N-rated, but then, neither am I.

I've worn out a set of S.Drive's and I've worn out the set of Pirellis that my Boxster came with. Perhaps I'm such a motoring philistine that I can't appreciate the subtleties between tires - but so far, the only tires I've noticed a tremendous impact from were the BFG G-Force Sports, which absolutely sucked. What they lacked in grip they made up for in sidewall flex.

I may never devote enough weekends to becoming a good driver, so trading a tenth of a G for double the treadwear makes sense to me. I'm sure it's blasphemy to some of the purists out there - but then again, I'm fairly sure that some of the purists out there have never hit the rev limiter or felt the pulse of the ABS pounding out its insistent reminder that you're about to plow through a line of cones and a corner worker or two.

P.S. To folks like thstone who post up links, informed opinions, and helpful information, thanks. To those who just serve up the Party line, the cheapskates here really DO know about Porsche approved tires. We're just living on the edge.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 08-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote