Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

Aero Kit include spoiler?

Does the factory Aero Kit include the spoiler as seen below? If it is a factory spoiler, then I would assume it contributes to the aerodynamics of the car, and it is not just for show. If it is aftermarket, is it just for show? From the photo below it looks like it could actually harm the airflow by causing aerodynamic interference with the internal spoiler when it deploys.

Attached Images

Last edited by surf40; 08-14-2011 at 08:21 PM.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #2

That's not an oem rear wing.. The side skirt has the turned rear section...most likely either an oem aerokit 2 or a knockoff.

And yes, Porsche designs their aerokits for aerodynamics and not simply for looks.

Here is an example of both aerokit 1 and 2. Both come with rear wings...kit 1 is very hard to find these days....

Aerokit 1 (scroll down the page) -

http://home.comcast.net/~kilsen/boxster_hacks.htm

Aerokit 2 -

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/000044802.html?Category_Code=986AK

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

The spoiler on the Aero Kit 2 looks much better than the Aero Kit 1. BTW, does the internal spoiler still deploy when the factory wing is installed, or is it disabled?

As a side note, the car in the photo above is on Craig’s list in Southern California. It’s a 2000 S model, with 117k miles. The owner wants $10,900. Probably more miles than I’d like for my first boxster.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40
The spoiler on the Aero Kit 2 looks much better than the Aero Kit 1. BTW, does the internal spoiler still deploy when the factory wing is installed, or is it disabled?

As a side note, the car in the photo above is on Craig’s list in Southern California. It’s a 2000 S model, with 117k miles. The owner wants $10,900. Probably more miles than I’d like for my first boxster.

The OEM Aero kit includes a new rear trunk lid that is a bit longer and you remove the internal spoiler.

BTW - I think you can do much better than a 2000MY with over a 100k for that price.

Good Luck

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
So does that mean buying the Aerokit II from Suncoast, for example, will inlcude a new trunk lid that will eliminate the rear spoiler?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
So does that mean buying the Aerokit II from Suncoast, for example, will inlcude a new trunk lid that will eliminate the rear spoiler?

I should have clarified my reply, the OEM Aero I kit includes front bumper, side skirts, rear trunk lid and spoiler.

The Aero II kit does not include the rear trunk lid.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/boxster-986/exterior/n244/
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I see, which would explain perhaps why they're harder to find and more sought after despite that whale tail of a spoiler on the AeroKit I?

Either way it also makes me wonder if the retractable spoiler is expected to operate in conjunction with the AeroKit II spoiler or if you're supposed to pull the fuse to keep it down...? Doesn't seem like you'd need both once you put the permanent one on.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I just purchased the Aero Kit II for my son's project car. It comes with all of the parts shown below. You use your existing trunk lid.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Mark
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Thanks, appleguy.

BTW, surf40, I think that car is wearing one of these kits.

http://www.fiberwerks.com/986_boxster.htm

spoiler sure looks the same, as do the skirts.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top