Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Facelift

The JagerMobile is getting a facelift. I bought new headlight assemblies, without the amber lenses, and really like the way they look with the seal gray paint. I should have done this a long time ago. I have been grinding and polishing the original lenses for the last year and decided to replace the assemblies last week. Look how clear the new lenses are, I can actually see the lamps!

Attached Images
 
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com
 
ddb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 926
Garage
Looks really nice! Are you going to replace the side amber with clear?
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Looks really nice! Are you going to replace the side amber with clear?
Hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, they do stand out. I like your idea... I will order a set. Do they require amber bulbs or is there an amber reflector inside? I ordered a pair of Stealth turn signal bulbs thinking my new headlight assemblies would have amber bulbs but they came with clear bulbs with amber reflectors behind them (Bosch assemblies).
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com
 
ddb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 926
Garage
It has been some years since I replaced mine, but I believe my side clears came with amber bulbs. I then bought replacement bulbs that look silver but flash amber. So you can't detect any amber when they are off.

I think the side clear lenses will complete the look and freshen your front end nicely.

Did you have a recent front end respray? I've read you have a lot of miles. The paint looks fantastic.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Minneapolis,Mn
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, they do stand out. I like your idea... I will order a set. Do they require amber bulbs or is there an amber reflector inside? I ordered a pair of Stealth turn signal bulbs thinking my new headlight assemblies would have amber bulbs but they came with clear bulbs with amber reflectors behind them (Bosch assemblies).
The side markers have amber bulbs in them, I recently did the facelift on mine as well, it looks a million times better
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Thanks... I just ordered the side markers and lamps from Pelican Parts.

Penland, your lights look great! I think the European look is much better, especially on the white, black, silver, and gray cars.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Did you have a recent front end respray? I've read you have a lot of miles. The paint looks fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Don't look too close, the front bumper is pretty rough. I have never painted anything on this car. I have been thinking about paiting the front bumper but I will wait until after my road trip (next month) before thinking about doing that. There is also some road rash on the hood but it's not too bad, I can live with it for now.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
The JagerMobile



Hmm... sounds like someone else is personifying their vehicle also .
__________________
Don't worry … I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
The JagerMobile



Hmm... sounds like someone else is personifying their vehicle also .
Maybe a little... Instead of painting my existing bumper I'm thinking about buying this bumper and having them paint it seal gray:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 1,280
Holy cow! The cost of that bumper alone, including fitment, paint etc is going to be worth about a quarter to a third of what the car's worth!
__________________
2001 Boxster, 5 spd, Seal Grey
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Maybe a little... Instead of painting my existing bumper I'm thinking about buying this bumper and having them paint it seal gray:
Not a good idea. I sent you a pm.
__________________
Don't worry … I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Holy cow! The cost of that bumper alone, including fitment, paint etc is going to be worth about a quarter to a third of what the car's worth!

What the car is worth? What's that?? I'm not going to sell it or trade it in.
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Algonquin, Misarikwack
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
What the car is worth? What's that?? I'm not going to sell it or trade it in.
If you enjoy facelifting and modidying it, then your car is priceless mate. Like yourself, most of us who mod their boxster are having huge fun doing it so just go ahead, keep it, mod it and have fun doing it! Just the "fun out" of moding this car alone is great return on investment imo
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Registered User
 
DenverSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver/Winter Park, CO USA
Posts: 600
What nose it that? It looks great.
__________________
Denver Steve
Carrera, Cabriolet, 6-Speed, Black/Tan
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
What nose it that? It looks great.
It's made by a German company called Caratere . There's also a couple of knock-off versions that are available in the USA for substantially less.
__________________
Don't worry … I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Registered User
 
J Tinsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Look how clear the new lenses are, I can actually see the lamps!
I'd complete the job by applying or having someone apply a"clear bra" material like Venture Shield Ultra or 3M or Xpel to the lenses. That way you'll never replace them again.

Cheers
__________________
"Never force it.... get a BIGGER hammer!"
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
I'd complete the job by applying or having someone apply a"clear bra" material like Venture Shield Ultra or 3M or Xpel to the lenses. That way you'll never replace them again.

Cheers
Thanks for the information, I will have to investigate these products. Is one better than the other? I have seen a peel-off lens protector but none that get applied (spray?)
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burlington, NJ
Posts: 1
Hey Jager, when you say you replaced the headlamp assembly are you talking the entire unit or just an out lense. Wanting to loose the
Amber on my Lapis Blue Boxster but replacement headlamp assembly sounds costly $$$. R they original Porsche brand or aftermarket.
Bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Hey Jager, when you say you replaced the headlamp assembly are you talking the entire unit or just an out lense. Wanting to loose the
Amber on my Lapis Blue Boxster but replacement headlamp assembly sounds costly $$$. R they original Porsche brand or aftermarket.
I replaced the whole assembly (entire unit) and yes they are OEM, Bosch.

__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page