986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Facelift (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29717)

Jager 07-16-2011 04:27 PM

Facelift

1 Attachment(s)
The JagerMobile is getting a facelift. I bought new headlight assemblies, without the amber lenses, and really like the way they look with the seal gray paint. I should have done this a long time ago. I have been grinding and polishing the original lenses for the last year and decided to replace the assemblies last week. Look how clear the new lenses are, I can actually see the lamps!

ddb 07-16-2011 04:34 PM

Looks really nice! Are you going to replace the side amber with clear?

Jager 07-16-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddb
Looks really nice! Are you going to replace the side amber with clear?

Hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, they do stand out. I like your idea... I will order a set. Do they require amber bulbs or is there an amber reflector inside? I ordered a pair of Stealth turn signal bulbs thinking my new headlight assemblies would have amber bulbs but they came with clear bulbs with amber reflectors behind them (Bosch assemblies).

ddb 07-16-2011 04:52 PM

It has been some years since I replaced mine, but I believe my side clears came with amber bulbs. I then bought replacement bulbs that look silver but flash amber. So you can't detect any amber when they are off.

I think the side clear lenses will complete the look and freshen your front end nicely.

Did you have a recent front end respray? I've read you have a lot of miles. The paint looks fantastic.

Penland 07-16-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager
Hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, they do stand out. I like your idea... I will order a set. Do they require amber bulbs or is there an amber reflector inside? I ordered a pair of Stealth turn signal bulbs thinking my new headlight assemblies would have amber bulbs but they came with clear bulbs with amber reflectors behind them (Bosch assemblies).

The side markers have amber bulbs in them, I recently did the facelift on mine as well, it looks a million times better
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...d/49bd9dbc.jpg

Jager 07-16-2011 05:06 PM

Thanks... I just ordered the side markers and lamps from Pelican Parts.

Penland, your lights look great! I think the European look is much better, especially on the white, black, silver, and gray cars.

Jager 07-16-2011 05:13 PM

Did you have a recent front end respray? I've read you have a lot of miles. The paint looks fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Don't look too close, the front bumper is pretty rough. I have never painted anything on this car. I have been thinking about paiting the front bumper but I will wait until after my road trip (next month) before thinking about doing that. There is also some road rash on the hood but it's not too bad, I can live with it for now.

Johnny Danger 07-16-2011 05:24 PM

The JagerMobile

Hmm... sounds like someone else is personifying their vehicle also . :)

Jager 07-16-2011 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
The JagerMobile

Hmm... sounds like someone else is personifying their vehicle also . :)

Maybe a little... Instead of painting my existing bumper I'm thinking about buying this bumper and having them paint it seal gray:

clickman 07-17-2011 06:38 AM

Holy cow! The cost of that bumper alone, including fitment, paint etc is going to be worth about a quarter to a third of what the car's worth!

Johnny Danger 07-17-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Maybe a little... Instead of painting my existing bumper I'm thinking about buying this bumper and having them paint it seal gray:

Not a good idea. I sent you a pm.

Jager 07-17-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
Holy cow! The cost of that bumper alone, including fitment, paint etc is going to be worth about a quarter to a third of what the car's worth!

What the car is worth? What's that?? I'm not going to sell it or trade it in.

madmods 07-17-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

What the car is worth? What's that?? I'm not going to sell it or trade it in.

If you enjoy facelifting and modidying it, then your car is priceless mate. Like yourself, most of us who mod their boxster are having huge fun doing it so just go ahead, keep it, mod it and have fun doing it! Just the "fun out" of moding this car alone is great return on investment imo

DenverSteve 07-26-2011 05:17 PM

What nose it that? It looks great.

Johnny Danger 07-26-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve
What nose it that? It looks great.

It's made by a German company called Caratere . There's also a couple of knock-off versions that are available in the USA for substantially less.

J Tinsby 07-27-2011 07:02 AM

Great

Quote:

Look how clear the new lenses are, I can actually see the lamps!

I'd complete the job by applying or having someone apply a"clear bra" material like Venture Shield Ultra or 3M or Xpel to the lenses. That way you'll never replace them again.

Cheers

Jager 07-27-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tinsby
I'd complete the job by applying or having someone apply a"clear bra" material like Venture Shield Ultra or 3M or Xpel to the lenses. That way you'll never replace them again.

Cheers

Thanks for the information, I will have to investigate these products. Is one better than the other? I have seen a peel-off lens protector but none that get applied (spray?)

Bdog 02-05-2012 12:00 PM

Hey Jager, when you say you replaced the headlamp assembly are you talking the entire unit or just an out lense. Wanting to loose the
Amber on my Lapis Blue Boxster but replacement headlamp assembly sounds costly $$$. R they original Porsche brand or aftermarket.

Jager 02-05-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog (Post 277097)
Hey Jager, when you say you replaced the headlamp assembly are you talking the entire unit or just an out lense. Wanting to loose the
Amber on my Lapis Blue Boxster but replacement headlamp assembly sounds costly $$$. R they original Porsche brand or aftermarket.

I replaced the whole assembly (entire unit) and yes they are OEM, Bosch.