Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Evo Intake Install and MAF update

I installed an EVO cold air intake on the weekend and this should have been about a 3 hour job and took me 3 days due to unfortunate mishaps such as not have the right jack to go high enough, dropping a bolt and not having a magnet to fish it out the list goes on.

I was also expecting the EVO kit to come with more parts but they reuse a lot of the OEM equipment which was a little surprising and somewhat annoying as I wasn't expecting it and through most of that stuff in the garbage. Anyways, my engine has also had a rough idle lately and I thought that it was because my MAF went south after my AOS went last year and all the oil sucked it had buggered it. Turns out there was just a bunch more oil in the intake manifold than I could get out the first time. So I went another round of cleaning up after the AOS oil fiasco.

After that was all cleaned up the engine runs fine, the MAF that I thought was buggered seems to be working normally and it appears that I bought another for no reason. So I have a $200+ MAF that I don't need.... At least not right now, that could have been better spent.

Although the car sounds pretty "mean" now with the intake I don't think it was worth the cost and the hassle of putting it in. Even though it makes me grin every time I am on an on ramp or near 5k rpm. The install has also raised the running temperature of my boxster by about 10-20 degrees. The needle now sits at about dead center on the gauge. Therefore, I bought some Redline Water Wetter and will be testing it out tomorrow. My hopes are that it returns the car to a normal operating temperature.

A note to Canadians re: Redline Water Wetter if you are interested in purchasing. It is sold at a few indy car places and also Partsource.

Thanks for reading, happy motoring.

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

do yourself a favor and reinstall the oem airbox. I have the evo. My intake air temp went up 40 degrees. all sorts of fine dust will coat the 80$ filter. The filter is 1/2 occluded by the crappy plastic wall. Sounds great!

If you keep it, my advice, get a Prefilter bag that covers the filter, about 20$, and clean the filter often.

I am about to source a custom flange that bolts up to the fender and isolates the filter from the engine bay. I am just trying to work out a way not to have a oiled filter. If I cant do it, I will replace the airbox.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

jhandy, I'm interested in what you have in mind for a better heatshield solution for the cone filter. I've been thinking of some ideas, and would love to hear what you have in mind. Do you have any mockup/diagrams, or can you elaborate on what you have in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

i had a picture in my head, but I saw a fellow poster that actually made what i was thinking.

look at the third picture of the poster named "sparker".

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9418

I have tried to make fiberglass in the past and have not been successful. This custom made intake looks perfect, except that it uses a oiled filer.

I was thinking of replacing the CDA filter housing with a box type device that opens up and unhooks somehow to reveal a DRY cone filter.

*** I was also wondering if the MAF could be relocated. The oil filter works nice, but often fouls the MAF. Can it be moved upstream? Before the filter? ***

currently working with Sparker to come up with something.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 07-06-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I installed an EVO cold air intake on the weekend and this should have been about a 3 hour job and took me 3 days due to unfortunate mishaps such as not have the right jack to go high enough, dropping a bolt and not having a magnet to fish it out the list goes on.

I was also expecting the EVO kit to come with more parts but they reuse a lot of the OEM equipment which was a little surprising and somewhat annoying as I wasn't expecting it and through most of that stuff in the garbage. Anyways, my engine has also had a rough idle lately and I thought that it was because my MAF went south after my AOS went last year and all the oil sucked it had buggered it. Turns out there was just a bunch more oil in the intake manifold than I could get out the first time. So I went another round of cleaning up after the AOS oil fiasco.

After that was all cleaned up the engine runs fine, the MAF that I thought was buggered seems to be working normally and it appears that I bought another for no reason. So I have a $200+ MAF that I don't need.... At least not right now, that could have been better spent.

Although the car sounds pretty "mean" now with the intake I don't think it was worth the cost and the hassle of putting it in. Even though it makes me grin every time I am on an on ramp or near 5k rpm. The install has also raised the running temperature of my boxster by about 10-20 degrees. The needle now sits at about dead center on the gauge. Therefore, I bought some Redline Water Wetter and will be testing it out tomorrow. My hopes are that it returns the car to a normal operating temperature.

A note to Canadians re: Redline Water Wetter if you are interested in purchasing. It is sold at a few indy car places and also Partsource.

Thanks for reading, happy motoring.
Are you sure your water temperature went up? The only way i can see that happening is if your intake isn't sealed, so you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay and for some reason, that forces the DME to run the car lean, raising combustion temperature. But normally, an engine management system compensates for high intake temperatures and if anything, they run it rich to be conservative about knock. Has anyone else seen their water temperatures go up when installing an evo or other cone intake?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

yea. 40 degrees increase in INTAKE AIR temps. 10 degrees of water temp. Use a real time obcII scanner to verify.

The EVO intake is impossible to seal off from the motor. There is no top!!

If you squeeze the crap plastic shield tight against the fender wall, ( I even installed a steel brace in the top to pull it tight), you effectively cut off 1/2 of the filter size because the cone is pressed between the fender and shield.

Then just to add salt to the wound......All of that fine dust that covers your motor is also covering the cone and inside the housing. This proves that the thing does not get fresh cold air.

Be smart, leave it alone. If it was not such a pain in the rear to install, I would have trashed it long ago.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #7

Garage
I have the Evo intake on my vehicle, and I haven't experienced anything with regard to increased air/water temperatures . I agree, however, that the filter is more prone to collecting dust and debris that the oem system, and it needs to be checked and cleaned periodically . Otherwise, the MAF will be compromised. A better designed shield would be greatly welcomed . As far as the install is concerned, unless someone is intent on retaining the oem air box, considerable time and effort can be saved by simply cutting it away . Great sound with a little blip in hp though !
Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

Garage
I have an Outerwear on my EVO and I have yet to clean it. By the sounds of Johnny, his air filter is doing an extraordinary job cleaning the air. I also agree with his statement on the increase in temps, no difference here. If sucking in hot underhood air leans out the fuel and in turn raises coolant temps by ten degrees!, someone needs to be checking their coolant system. My temp sits on 182 degrees and hasn't gone above that since I've owned it (4+ Yrs)...and I live in an area with 100-110 degree temps for most of the summer, and yes I have the air conditioning on also.

Maybe the problem is your not driving it fast enough.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #9

If it is just sound you are after, save yourself the hassle and go with a K&N drop in & de-snorkle.
Quick, cheap (under $30) and sounds great!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1%2Cp_ord%3Ap&as_q=K%26N&as_oq=33-2773+332773&scoring=p

Last edited by Stroked & Blown; 07-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

The increase in air and water temps are not noticed unless you check real time while driving with the scangague tool or simular. The water temp gague is pathetic at best. A mark from 180 and 250 is not a precise instrument.
Basing your water temp on how much of the 0 is covered up will not see the increase.

If your fans turn on High up front the water temp is 215ish or higher. I have seen my temp go as high as 219 with redline water wetter and 230 without it. The pin was just at the edge of 0.

I highly doubt that I have an unusual boxster in that I have a zone of super heated air around my car.

I promise you if you look you will find the same as me.

I made a make shift cardboard case and sealed it with duct tape, and down the air intake temp went, by 20ish degrees- soon did the water by 5 degrees.

If you want to really have some fun....I sewed a piece of thin white cloth to the inside of the filter and drove around. That fine dust gets past the EVO filter. The problem is that the odd size of the cone and pipe preclude buying a better filter to use instead.

The pre filter is the way to go at the very least.

Last edited by jhandy; 07-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #11

Hi Guys,

I can make custom light weight carbon fiber intakes which will seal out all hot engine air and dust.

Have already been chatting with Jhandy about this and will probably be making him one soon. As I need to source parts from a few different places around the globe - doing a few at once would be cheaper. If your interested - let me know.

They are:
Light weight (pipework is a few grams....)
High flowing (3 Inch mandrel bends)
Pretty (high gloss 2x2 carbon fiber)
Heat resistant (carbon has excellent thermal properties)
Sealed off from engine bay (no hot air or dust going in your intake)
Completely custom made (I can make it to suit what ever filter you want, whatever MAF location you want etc. Could even make one to move the filter to a different location if you wanted!)

Let me know if I can help anyone out.

Sam

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote