View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I installed an EVO cold air intake on the weekend and this should have been about a 3 hour job and took me 3 days due to unfortunate mishaps such as not have the right jack to go high enough, dropping a bolt and not having a magnet to fish it out the list goes on.

I was also expecting the EVO kit to come with more parts but they reuse a lot of the OEM equipment which was a little surprising and somewhat annoying as I wasn't expecting it and through most of that stuff in the garbage. Anyways, my engine has also had a rough idle lately and I thought that it was because my MAF went south after my AOS went last year and all the oil sucked it had buggered it. Turns out there was just a bunch more oil in the intake manifold than I could get out the first time. So I went another round of cleaning up after the AOS oil fiasco.

After that was all cleaned up the engine runs fine, the MAF that I thought was buggered seems to be working normally and it appears that I bought another for no reason. So I have a $200+ MAF that I don't need.... At least not right now, that could have been better spent.

Although the car sounds pretty "mean" now with the intake I don't think it was worth the cost and the hassle of putting it in. Even though it makes me grin every time I am on an on ramp or near 5k rpm. The install has also raised the running temperature of my boxster by about 10-20 degrees. The needle now sits at about dead center on the gauge. Therefore, I bought some Redline Water Wetter and will be testing it out tomorrow. My hopes are that it returns the car to a normal operating temperature.

A note to Canadians re: Redline Water Wetter if you are interested in purchasing. It is sold at a few indy car places and also Partsource.

Thanks for reading, happy motoring.
Are you sure your water temperature went up? The only way i can see that happening is if your intake isn't sealed, so you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay and for some reason, that forces the DME to run the car lean, raising combustion temperature. But normally, an engine management system compensates for high intake temperatures and if anything, they run it rich to be conservative about knock. Has anyone else seen their water temperatures go up when installing an evo or other cone intake?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote