View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
coolbreeze551

Evo Intake Install and MAF update

I installed an EVO cold air intake on the weekend and this should have been about a 3 hour job and took me 3 days due to unfortunate mishaps such as not have the right jack to go high enough, dropping a bolt and not having a magnet to fish it out the list goes on.

I was also expecting the EVO kit to come with more parts but they reuse a lot of the OEM equipment which was a little surprising and somewhat annoying as I wasn't expecting it and through most of that stuff in the garbage. Anyways, my engine has also had a rough idle lately and I thought that it was because my MAF went south after my AOS went last year and all the oil sucked it had buggered it. Turns out there was just a bunch more oil in the intake manifold than I could get out the first time. So I went another round of cleaning up after the AOS oil fiasco.

After that was all cleaned up the engine runs fine, the MAF that I thought was buggered seems to be working normally and it appears that I bought another for no reason. So I have a $200+ MAF that I don't need.... At least not right now, that could have been better spent.

Although the car sounds pretty "mean" now with the intake I don't think it was worth the cost and the hassle of putting it in. Even though it makes me grin every time I am on an on ramp or near 5k rpm. The install has also raised the running temperature of my boxster by about 10-20 degrees. The needle now sits at about dead center on the gauge. Therefore, I bought some Redline Water Wetter and will be testing it out tomorrow. My hopes are that it returns the car to a normal operating temperature.

A note to Canadians re: Redline Water Wetter if you are interested in purchasing. It is sold at a few indy car places and also Partsource.

Thanks for reading, happy motoring.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote