Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
some abnormal water accumulation

Hello all, I've found yet another issue with my '97 Boxster that I wanted to bring up to the members here for some insight.

There seems to be some water accumulation happening on passenger side of the vehicle. I notice when I open the passenger door, say after it has rained, there is significantly more water on the lower door sill than on the driver's side. It is so much so that it ends up even on the plastic and carpeting where the door rests when closed.

I've also noticed water accumulates in the passenger footwell. I found this out because I went to change out the generic rubber mats that came with the car when I bought it to an OEM set, and the passenger mat was literally stuck to the carpet by water under the mat in the carpet which had frozen (this was during the lower temps earlier on in winter). I've tried to go about soaking it up, but the temperature has not started working in my favor until recently (really just this week), but unfortunately the warmer temperatures are coupled with a lot of rain so far and more coming. I'm going about getting my hands on some more shammies (there's a few there now)to place under the mat to try and soak up the water as much as possible before placing the new mat into the passenger footwell, but I'm concerned about water getting in there every time the car gets rained on or driven in it.

Now the water has never been so much in the footwell that I could see pooling of it, it just seems to moisten the carpet, but I'm figuring it's simply coming in from where it accumulates in the door jamb. I've had no issues like this whatsoever on the driver's side, and I've never had the car leak when being driven in even heavy rain, which I've done a few times, and as recently as 3 days ago.

I took pictures a few months back when I first noticed the issue, though they were with my phone as that was all I had on me at the time, but I'll try to see about getting those put up on here to help visualize the situation, and I'll try to take some more. It rained a lot this weekend, and there's more coming tomorrow and the following day, so I'm sure I'll have opportunities to take more pictures.

Ok, at this point I figure I'll supply some history on the car, as far as I know it. It has a slavage title, was listed as a repairable collision, and the previous owner whom I purchased it from bought it at an auction, fixed it, drove it as his personal car for a few years, and then let it sit on the lot of his body shop for about 5 years before I finally came along and purchased it from him. What I know about the collision is that it was on the passenger side and had caused damage to the front fender and rear quarter panel behind the air vent, and I believe the front bumper as well. The front fender was replaced, and the rear quarter panel repaired by the shop owner. To be quite honest, it really does look like an excellent job on the quarter panel, other than some slight paint swirl that makes some of the work evident if you really look for it. I digress, I can't help thinking that this accident may have something, or even everything, to do with why the car is getting water in the wrong places.

This is one of those situations where I'm really hard pressed not to go to the dealer to have them look into the cause and possible solutions. Whether I do or not, I still wanted to consult the members on here, as you guys have provided me with great stuff ever since I joined.

Looking forward to any info or advice anyone can provide, and if any more information is required, please ask.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 03-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Water leaks

Some possible sources:

The drains...see this page for a diagram. Test each.

The defroster-a/c condensation. Feel.

A clogged drain in the door. Is the lower part of the inner door wet?

A ripped collection area inside the roof hatch...raise the roof 1/3 and look.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Thanks, Mike, you've always got good stuff, man.

To answer your question, yes, I noticed the material on the bottom of the door (the cloth covering that panel that makes up the map pocket in the door) was wet, and I figured it was because the water that was getting in from wherever was simply too much to stay in the area of the door sill and was wetting the fabric when it came inside to where the plastic was on the floor. So are you saying that a drain in the door being plugged would cause the water to pool inside the door and come out through that lower part?

I'll definitely check out that link you supplied...I've really got to take some time and just pour through your site one of these days.

As for the A/C, could you elaborate a bit more on that? Are you saying to check when the A/C is running to see if the condensation is coming into the footwell area? I do find that I have to run the defogger often to clear up the windows during driving. They seem to fog up very easily, and if I leave the air set to recirculate it tends to cause the glass to fog and I have to turn the defogger on, so once I have to do that I pretty much leave it on for the rest of the ride, so the compressor does tend to be run pretty often.

Also, what did you mean about a "ripped" collection area in the roof hatch? What and where would I be looking? Do you mean the area under the clamshell or a part of the top itself?

Thanks for the response, I think the rain's going to stop by Saturday, so I may have an opportunity then to take a good look around in all the areas where there are drains.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote