Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
Really cheap rims - what's the catch?

I found this site while browsing for rims, and the prices seem to be too good to believe. Anyone dealt here or know anything about these peeps? I'd sure be happy to find the Carrera rims I'd like at this price, but I also don't want to prove that Barnum was right!

cheap rims - click here

Mark

__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Material and manufacturing process differences can lead to wheels that are:
-soft
-brittle
-heavy
-non-symmetric

Just because they look the same, doesn't mean they are the same. There are hundreds of different aluminum alloys and several different ways to shape it into a wheel.

Although I'm sure Porsche has a ridiculous mark-up on the factory wheels, as they do on other parts, they do use quality wheels.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 66
Although I do agree with that statement about the quality level. I am pretty sure whatever company does produce these knockoffs have to follow some type of guidelines to ensure they are safe. I think you would be ok. (thanks for the link)

Think of medicine. You have all the knockoff brands and they are actually produces in the same facilitys minus the T stamp.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metalic Boxster
Drivin it like the guys in Stuttgart want us to...
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC_0049-1.jpg
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Registered User
 
landrovered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, Georgia
Posts: 1,012
Garage
I would not be so sure about the integrity of the marketplace/invisible hand.

I saw some rims recently that would make your hair stand on end, they were in a welding shop to be repaired, they were cracked, I wouldn't run a bicycle on them much less attempt to repair them after they failed once.

...and then after the horrible accident, your insurance company tells you that you are not covered because the aftermarket wheels you were running were not NHTSA approved.

Unless their is a TüV stamp or comparable quality rating, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6L, Zeintop
"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss

Last edited by landrovered; 07-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiboxster
Although I do agree with that statement about the quality level. I am pretty sure whatever company does produce these knockoffs have to follow some type of guidelines to ensure they are safe. I think you would be ok. (thanks for the link)

Think of medicine. You have all the knockoff brands and they are actually produces in the same facilitys minus the T stamp.
um, think of some recent items from china... anti-freeze laced toothpaste, lead infused baby toys, cribs that collapse when looked at. legitimate companies usually follow some set of safety standard - which is some of what you pay for, but a lot of companies take as many shortcuts as possible to make something that "looks" normal but cost 1/10th to manufacture...

also, it should be noted the wheels in the link are remanufactured ( "repaired" ) and not new.
__________________
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you."

Last edited by tonycarreon; 07-06-2010 at 10:39 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiboxster
Although I do agree with that statement about the quality level. I am pretty sure whatever company does produce these knockoffs have to follow some type of guidelines to ensure they are safe. I think you would be ok. (thanks for the link)

Think of medicine. You have all the knockoff brands and they are actually produces in the same facilitys minus the T stamp.
The analogy to a generic drug isn't really accurate here.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
um, think of some recent items from china... anti-freeze laced toothpaste, lead infused baby toys, cribs that collapse when looked at. legitimate companies usually follow some set of safety standard - which is some of what you pay for, but a lot of companies take as many shortcuts as possible to make something that "looks" normal but cost 1/10th to manufacture...

also, it should be noted the wheels in the link are remanufactured ( "repaired" ) and not new.
They state on the front page that they offer both remanufactured and new aftermarket wheels. I don't see where it states which these are.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 66
I called the company and asked them exactly how their prices are so low. First of all the company is called Coast to Coast and they are nothing more than the fullfilment company for 50+ websites. The wheels they sale are mostly originals from junk yards, broken or simply unused. They are not made in China, in fact if they are replicas they are made in Germany and Italy. Also, if they do have to make one they are using the original molds and same material as original.

Of course all of this is coming from the person running the online sales. But if it is true my analogy of medicine is exactly right.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metalic Boxster
Drivin it like the guys in Stuttgart want us to...
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC_0049-1.jpg
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maui, HI
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
They state on the front page that they offer both remanufactured and new aftermarket wheels. I don't see where it states which these are.
When you call and give them a part number they will tell you what they have in stock and which catagory the ones they have in stock are. for the wheel I just asked about they said they have 8 that where are OEM and have a lifetime warranty and three that are aftermarket with the same warranty that where made in Germany using the original molds.

looks to me to be a pretty good deal.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metalic Boxster
Drivin it like the guys in Stuttgart want us to...
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC_0049-1.jpg
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Registered User
 
landrovered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, Georgia
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Do the folks you talked to fulfill the lifetime warranty for 50 internet sites? I would find out who is carrying the liabilty insurance for the group before I bought and if they were made in the EU then they will have a TUV stamp. No stamp, no dice.
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6L, Zeintop
"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
They state on the front page that they offer both remanufactured and new aftermarket wheels. I don't see where it states which these are.
google search the part number, all that comes up are remanufactured rims.

but either way, the old adage will hold true - you get what you pay for.
__________________
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you."
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Do the folks you talked to fulfill the lifetime warranty for 50 internet sites? I would find out who is carrying the liabilty insurance for the group before I bought and if they were made in the EU then they will have a TUV stamp. No stamp, no dice.
Don't be so quick to bash them.

Many of the cars in my house have had Momo & BBS wheels,they were nothing special...they bent in time just like every other wheel.

Currently at the moment both Porsches in my house have wheels from

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/specials_packages_item.asp?id=20&part=ALY67304U#ALY67304U (not these exact ones but same manufacturer and web site bought from)

Many miles on both sets,no problem,still straight and true according to our alignment shop. Deal was impressed with them as well. Only reason they noticed was when they took the wheels off they saw the 'NOT ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER' stamp on the inside of them.

I'm slammed my last Boxster(which had replicas from same manufacturer) into a sidewall,dragged the wheel along a sidewall,had the car at a repair shop and they said the only thing that didn't need to be replaced wheel,it could use a touch up from really deep scratches,it wasn't even bent...
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house

Last edited by blinkwatt; 07-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Registered User
 
landrovered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, Georgia
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

There are many good aftermarket brands of wheels that I would buy. They are manufactured by reputable companies and have a track record (literally with BBS) and are in good financial standing. They do R&D testing, they have product liability insurance.

This costs money and you pay more for good aftermarket wheels. Granted you pay less than OEM parts where the markup is not derived from normal competitive models because they are in effect a monopoly for a given period of time.

Then there are fly by night cheapo manufacturers that will make the cheapest imitation product possible that looks like a quality product. They are sold by the container load by trading companies in Hong Kong or Taiwan. They are short run products sold my trading companies to middle men in the US and then sold on the internet and ebay to take advantage of popular trends in the automotive world.

These wheels are not tested, their is no product liability insurance, there is no company to back up problems, there is no reputation and you cannot find anyone after the sale who will answer your phone call or replace a defective product. What they are efficient at is charging your credit card.

We have all dealt with them, we have all been tempted by the low prices for the things that we covet that in reality cost much much more.

But when it comes to my safety, my wife and my sons safety, my financial future and my concern for you the general public who trust me not to kill you with my car. it is not worth saving $200 or even $2000 on wheels. hey take lots of force and lots of stress. Why trust all of this to a fulfillment center for 50 nameless websites.

Is your vanity really worth that little?
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6L, Zeintop
"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

There are many good aftermarket brands of wheels that I would buy. They are manufactured by reputable companies and have a track record (literally with BBS) and are in good financial standing. They do R&D testing, they have product liability insurance.

This costs money and you pay more for good aftermarket wheels. Granted you pay less than OEM parts where the markup is not derived from normal competitive models because they are in effect a monopoly for a given period of time.

Then there are fly by night cheapo manufacturers that will make the cheapest imitation product possible that looks like a quality product. They are sold by the container load by trading companies in Hong Kong or Taiwan. They are short run products sold my trading companies to middle men in the US and then sold on the internet and ebay to take advantage of popular trends in the automotive world.

These wheels are not tested, their is no product liability insurance, there is no company to back up problems, there is no reputation and you cannot find anyone after the sale who will answer your phone call or replace a defective product. What they are efficient at is charging your credit card.

We have all dealt with them, we have all been tempted by the low prices for the things that we covet that in reality cost much much more.

But when it comes to my safety, my wife and my sons safety, my financial future and my concern for you the general public who trust me not to kill you with my car. it is not worth saving $200 or even $2000 on wheels. hey take lots of force and lots of stress. Why trust all of this to a fulfillment center for 50 nameless websites.

Is your vanity really worth that little?
Some of these replicas are from Taiwan and China, some are from Italy.

I'm only speaking on the Italian made replicas(those are the only ones I have experience with),which I believe the OP was referring to.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantmechanic
hmmm, I hit a pothole with my replicas, and two of them bent.
Where were yours from?
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?


But when it comes to my safety, my wife and my sons safety, my financial future and my concern for you the general public who trust me not to kill you with my car. it is not worth saving $200 or even $2000 on wheels. hey take lots of force and lots of stress. Why trust all of this to a fulfillment center for 50 nameless websites.

Is your vanity really worth that little?

this is a way too melodramatic. I have driven on a few bent rims in my lifetime. its not a life threatening situation. Ive driven on mustang wheels which were 700 dollars for rims and tires. and at faster speeds.

the worst thing likely to happen is that you bend a rim and replace it with another cheapo only to bend in short order.

you can also fear falling planes, north korea's nukes or meteors those too will threaten you and your family... but they are no reason to live in a bomb shelter.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
Registered User
 
landrovered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Madison, Georgia
Posts: 1,012
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
this is a way too melodramatic. I have driven on a few bent rims in my lifetime. its not a life threatening situation. Ive driven on mustang wheels which were 700 dollars for rims and tires. and at faster speeds.

the worst thing likely to happen is that you bend a rim and replace it with another cheapo only to bend in short order.

you can also fear falling planes, north korea's nukes or meteors those too will threaten you and your family... but they are no reason to live in a bomb shelter.

The rim to which I was refering originally was thin, cheaply made and cracked. Cracked rims do not hold air, they release air in a rapid fashion, rim blow outs in corners can cause rapid destabilization of a car especially if they occur on the front of the vehicle. This can cause you to swerve into oncoming traffic.

I would not drive on cheap ass rims any more than I would drive on bald maypop tires.

Do as you wish and i will do the same but IMO you folks are trying to save a little coin to stroke your egos.

If you wanted these wheels for racing then money would be no object if the more expensive wheels got you a half a second a lap, this arguement is all about looks.
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6L, Zeintop
"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls." - Stirling Moss
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantmechanic
No offense, Lobo, but this is very bad and dangerous advice - not only is it life threatening, it's also very bad for your bearings and other parts of your suspension.

A bent rim causes vibration...and vibration causes you a lack of control over your car. Driving a car that you don't have control over could cause you, or worse, someone around you, there life.

If you have a bent rim, replace it ASAP

its not advice... its a fact. i dont remember saying everyone should do it. ive driven many a POS before i got my porsche.

as for life threatening... i must have been on the verge of death every moment for two and a half years driving my saturn SL2 with a bent rim. call me evel knievel
because I was looking death in the face everyday. the only difference I never crashed. he must just be an amateur.

landrovered, again with the melo drama, not everyone here buys cheapo rims then goes and hits the nordschleife. not only that the streets are flooded with cheap rims at least they were in Orlando, boston and I have a feeling every major city is the same. and in all the catostrophic accidents i have ever heard of and seen knowing my fair share of firefighters and first responders and working with them. not one was due to a faulty china rim. its always drunk driver, crazy lunatic, texting etc.

of course the rebuttal will be that I cant know how many crashes happen due to rims or they just dont report those types or whatever else ad naseum.

will I buy these rims? no... id rather get some used OEM.

is everyone who buys these cheapos destined to end up in a fiery car crash... nope

and alot of it is about looks... otherwise you would drive your car around dirty or wouldnt mind someone keying your car. hey its only the looks that are damaged right?

if looks mean nothing to you which im sure it does... then go paint ur boxster or landrover pink purple and yellow with baby blue polka dots... its just looks who cares what the haters think.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantmechanic
So, because you drove on a bent rim, it's a fact that it's not life threatening? That's like saying because one drinks and drives, and doesn't get caught or in an accident that it's safe. Lobo, it's not very sound thinking.

It's not safe for you, or the people you share the road with, and just because something didn't happen to you, doesn't make it any less dangerous. Just means you got lucky.

the fact is that I have driven on a bent rim. never once gave advice. this isnt about critical thinking its about reading comprehension.

what makes it not life threatening is the fact that it has a very low probability of causing an accident. does it elevate it sure. does it make it dangerous no.

and i wish it was just luck because that would be one long luck streak.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantmechanic
it elevates the risk of accident, but doesn't make it dangerous? Wow....

It sure does eleveate the risk of accident, and yes, accidents can cause death - you drive 60mph on a bent rim and have a blow out (which happens on bent rims) you're more than likely to hurt someone.

The fact is, a bent rim could kill some - Lobo, it's common sense.

not ever changing brake fluid elevates chance of accident. having new tires elevates risk of accident. playing music too loud elevates risk. driving at night elevates risk. driving while tired, driving with underinflated tires, driving a car that has an oil leak increases risk. stepping out of your house elevates risk of an accident... see where Im going with this...


an asteroid could kill someone. along with falling coconuts.

moral of the story... wear helmets in hawaii and hope your local bomb shelter is meteor proof.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page