Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Garage
which parts are preferred...

So i will be undertaking my 60k service before my next AX. but there are some questions that I have concerning what parts are the best to choose.

firstly, sparkplugs. from suncoast it runs 68 dollars or so... are there better plugs out there than these? i have seen some iridiumm and platinum etc does anyone have the down low on which is good tried and true?

second filters: this is where it gets dicey the cabin filter can cost 20 bux for their paper one and 60 for a charcoal one one suncoast... again is there really a difference?

other than that on my list are:

Polyrib belt 34.77
technobrace 89.99 (a treat for AX)
steel brake lines 141-147 (depending on source)
super ateblue fluid 18.00 (per liter... anyone know how many litres it takes?)
265x17 dunlop starspecs mounted and balanced 400.00ish (rear only)
if I can an UDP

anything I missed? i would do my front brakes but they still have plenty of life. I figure the steel lines and fluid will tighten that up a bit.

i was thinking about maybe some strut braces or anti sway bars to help stiffen up the body a bit but the later is a little out of my price range for now. any suggestions or things im missing for the 60k?

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

First of all, buy the cabin filter from Authaus AZ, charcoal unit is about $16. By a Wix NAPA Gold OEM style filter (#57211) from fleetfilter.com, about $12 and a much better made filter than the OEM unit. While you are at fleetfilter, get an air filter as well, about $16.

We have used the Beru plugs, Bosch, as well as NGK and Denso Irridiums, all work fine and live for many, many miles.................

You can do a complete flush with liter of ATE and the Motive unit; buy two if you are really concerned.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

From what I've read people seem to stick with the OEM plugs. Considering the DME is designed to run with them, and they last plenty long, no reason to use anything else.

I don't see the point in paying for a charcoal cabin filter on a car that has no roof most of the time you are driving it.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
From what I've read people seem to stick with the OEM plugs. Considering the DME is designed to run with them, and they last plenty long, no reason to use anything else.

-james

There is no logic to this, the DME has no idea what plug is at the other end of the wire, it only knows if it is firing or not.....................
Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

Garage
thanks for the help jfp and yimmy i dont think ill go with stock plugs because the price seems steep for what it is. ill just get something locally as far as the the charcoal filter... im not even sure what makes that better haha.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #6

air filter
oil filter
oil filter housing o-ring
crush washer for oil drain plug
6 plugs
Possibly both sets of o-rings for the spark plug tubes
cabin air lol i still have mine in the box

other 60 k things to check:

debris in bumper/radiators
brakes
tire air pressure(should check often)
bushings
coolant
power steering fluid
flush brake fluid
clean intake
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

Garage
air filter will do
oil filter done
oil filter housing o-ring done
crush washer for oil drain plug done
6 plugs will do
Possibly both sets of o-rings for the spark plug tubes where do I aquire this
cabin air lol i still have mine in the box will do

debris in bumper/radiators done
brakes done
tire air pressure(should check often) done
bushings but how is that done?
coolant will do
power steering fluid will do
flush brake fluid will do
clean intake will do and TB

Last edited by Lobo1186; 06-22-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #8

Aren't you supposed to change out your coils too for the 60K maintenance?
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranlm
Aren't you supposed to change out your coils too for the 60K maintenance?
if you aren't having any misfires or codes, i wouldn't touch em. While they are cheap enough, surprisingly, i'd leave them alone.

In reference to the bushings, i would just check to make sure there isn't any play in the bushings(wherever they are) also check for play in the tie rods and ball joints.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #10

Garage
i dont remember seeing that on the list but it is a possibility. but i hear that is very expensive proposition. so i may have to put that off. maybe Ill do that with my AOS...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
Possibly both sets of o-rings for the spark plug tubes where do I aquire this

bushings but how is that done?
coolant will do
power steering fluid will do
flush brake fluid will do
clean intake will do and TB
If your sparkplug tubes have leaked i would replace them all. Any of the online suppliers can sell them .

see previous post for bushings
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
i was thinking about maybe some strut braces or anti sway bars to help stiffen up the body a bit but the later is a little out of my price range for now. any suggestions or things im missing for the 60k?
Interested in some M030 sway bars? 24mm front, 19.6mm rear.. I've got a pretty fresh set (under 500 miles).. Here in Cali too. PM if interested.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #13

Garage
what type are they S or non S... will I have to modify my current car to put them on?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
what type are they S or non S... will I have to modify my current car to put them on?
It's a good combination of the thickest boxster bars.. M030 "S" 24mm front bar, and M030 base 19.6mm rear.

No modifications needed, uses your same current droplinks.... just unbolt your stock bars, and bolt these on... ready to rock and roll! I have the bushings included too.

update comment: I just re-read your original post about doing the mods before your next AX... these would be a nice upgrade before your AX...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote