Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #21
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Hello I live in the UK. I have never in my life used a torque wrench on the wheels of any of my cars. I am now just on 66. The car I have now is a Boxster S 2002. The first thing I do when I buy a new car is take all the wheels off so I can copper grease the threads, then use a spider to tighten. This has been my procedure for all those years.
It's funny you mention that. Anytime work is done on a car where the wheels are off, I remove and re-torque the wheels. very rarely are they torqued correctly and majority of the times they are over torqued. Sometimes my snap-on impact has issues removing them. At that point I make sure to contact the shop where I had the tires put on!!!

:troll:

On one of the Toyotas I work on, the torque rating is like 65 for the lugs. OMG it feels like they are finger tight compared to Porsche's wheel torque. But I never have issues it at that rating.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #22
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
So this ties in nicely to my thread on cleaning up the lug nuts. Would the YouTube specs be the same on my 99 with 17" wheels, with putting anti-seize on the threads?
Older thread, but check out what they say on the torque when using anti-seize on stock lug bolts.

Proper torque for wheel lugs - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #23

Smile Warped rotors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Say hello to warped rotors. Have you always had drum brakes?
Hello Warped rotors. I have had drum brakes on the rears on some early cars but not for a while now. I have had no trouble with warped rotors (Disc's UK) using my tightening method with a spider.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #24
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
It's funny you mention that. Anytime work is done on a car where the wheels are off, I remove and re-torque the wheels. very rarely are they torqued correctly and majority of the times they are over torqued. Sometimes my snap-on impact has issues removing them. At that point I make sure to contact the shop where I had the tires put on!!!

:troll:

On one of the Toyotas I work on, the torque rating is like 65 for the lugs. OMG it feels like they are finger tight compared to Porsche's wheel torque. But I never have issues it at that rating.
My brother brought his car to me last Sunday to change his front rotors and brake pads as his rotors were warped. He had new tires put on recently. When I went to take the lug bolts off one on each side was on so tight it took me standing on the lug wrench to get them off.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #25
Registered Boxster abuser

Very common even at dealership level we would run into the same issues. I had to write techs up that did not torque wheels to get the point across, and even then the techs would slam the lugs hard and follow up with a torque wrench. Why even bother that point. But some actually think using a torque wrench is to make sure the lug nuts are tight! Its funny how something so simple cannot conveyed to some people.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

Garage
The real thing is....
The definition of torque is about having two equal and opposite forces that will cause a system to rotate.... the calculation of torque is the answer of a multiplication...which is the product of the pounds amount and the length of leverage...

but...people are not wrong to say lbs/ ft also , because you can say it in the opposite form, which would be : i will apply "x" lbs PER feet of leverage length. This is where all the confusion comes from.

To conclude...i would say that the exact specific torque value...with or without lube...is a kind of mental masturbation... these bolts have major safety factors so there is no way that any yield strenght would be reached for the difference that oil/grease or whatever else lube would do if you stay in a logical range of torque values...Just make sure you reach that value in an uniform, smooth and constant movement. The main objective is to torque them as less as possible, but as long as they will never come loose on their own.
lucoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #27

Probably not the best thing....but

I have a 19V Craftsmen Impact driver rated at 135 ft lbs , considering how over rated everything usually is I figure it is probably closer to 110 ft lb ...it is whet I use to remove tires and put them back on. Like some when I purchased a new set of tires last year I took the car home and had to stand on a breaker bar to get the lugs off as soon as I got home and then I put them right back on with the Battery Impact Driver.

Next time I buy tires I am taking the wheels in myself off the car.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #28

But wait---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have a 19V Craftsmen Impact driver rated at 135 ft lbs , considering how over rated everything usually is I figure it is probably closer to 110 ft lb ...it is whet I use to remove tires and put them back on. Like some when I purchased a new set of tires last year I took the car home and had to stand on a breaker bar to get the lugs off as soon as I got home and then I put them right back on with the Battery Impact Driver.

Next time I buy tires I am taking the wheels in myself off the car.
The tire dealer won't be able to try and sell you a four wheel computer alignment, if you just bring in the wheels without the car!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
When I started using a torque wrench for this, I was ashamed how far I was over torquing. Made the car feel or ride different I swear.
I felt the same way. I feel like I was probably applying double the torque required
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #30
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I always loosen and re-torque my lug nuts after a trip to the tire store. I took my wrench with me a couple of times and got the strangest looks.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #31

I used to buy tires for my daily drivers at Costco, and the one I went to used a torque wrench to do the final tightening of the lug nuts.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #32
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Just don't set it to 96 Nm
My torque wrench does not have ft/lbs on it, it has newton-meters. So I need to set my torque wrench to 130 nm to get 96 ft/lbs, correct?

https://www.metric-conversions.org/energy-and-power/foot-pounds-to-newton-meters.htm
Old 03-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
My torque wrench does not have ft/lbs on it, it has newton-meters. So I need to set my torque wrench to 130 nm to get 96 ft/lbs, correct?

https://www.metric-conversions.org/energy-and-power/foot-pounds-to-newton-meters.htm
I attended a recent porche tech inspection training offered by PCA; they stated new specs from Porche is 100 ft/lbs old manuals state 96 ft/lbs.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #34
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I attended a recent porche tech inspection training offered by PCA; they stated new specs from Porche is 100 ft/lbs old manuals state 96 ft/lbs.
So then I would want to set my torque wrench to 135.5 nm?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #35

Garage
Google is great for unit conversion. If you Google "nm to ft lbs converter" you get several sites that have you enter one number and it will convert it to the other unit.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #36
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
All interesting but when was the last time you calibrated your torque wrench?
This is the accuracy you need with each lug nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89LmNvN7jTc
Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #37
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Google is great for unit conversion. If you Google "nm to ft lbs converter" you get several sites that have you enter one number and it will convert it to the other unit.
Yes, that's why I included the conversion link in my post. I just want to make sure I'm doing the conversion correctly.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:14 AM   #38

Somewhere between loose and stripped.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #39

It's a German car, so best imho to get used to torque figures in nm (newton-meters).

130 nm

I've lots more Mercedes experience than Porsche experience, and Mercedes and BMW and many others forbid using lubricant (antiseize is lubricant) on wheel bolts. Porsche specification confuses me in this regard.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #40
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
It's a German car, so best imho to get used to torque figures in nm (newton-meters).

130 nm

I've lots more Mercedes experience than Porsche experience, and Mercedes and BMW and many others forbid using lubricant (antiseize is lubricant) on wheel bolts. Porsche specification confuses me in this regard.
Awesome, 130 nm it is. Thanks!