Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
fab

oil leak

Hi all-

My 2000 porsche boxster currently is being serviced at the dealer. I was told the Cams are leaking. When I called for a status I was told the engine is out, sounds really serious. I'm having separation anxiety attack. Has anyone had this problem? Should I be worried because I am. What should I look for when I get my car back? The car only has 23, 580 miles.

fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

Do what I do.

Drive up there, ask to speak to the mechanic who's working your car, and when he comes out ask him if he has a minute to show you what he's doing and what to expect when you get it back.

My mechanic at the dealership is very nice and is happy to educate me ... bet yours will be too.

Just imagine all the jerks that they deal with that have more money than manners. Your nice demeanor will be a ray of sunshine in their normally dreary work day.

As I typed that last sentence I thought "isn't a 2000 model now out of warranty? Hope not!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #3

My 2000 S looks to have a rear main oil seal leak... and just today the Check Engine Light came on? Car has been driving fine so, now I need to investigate what might be going on.

Fab - If your cam seals are leaking the only way to replace them would be to drop the engine out or remove the from access panel behind the seats to change out the cam seals. Not 100% if the seal is what is leaking on your car...

Stanislaus R.R.
Cypress, Texas - USA
www.rothbauer.us
Rothbauer_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #4

Ouch, that sounds expensive.

I just got my 2000 Box S back from a trip to the dealer yesterday. I noticed less than a tablespoon of oil on the garage floor slightly to the right of center just in front of the rear axle after having it about two weeks.

The technician said it was a plug (similar to a freeze plug) that was leaking, and it was minor enough to not worry about it. Told me to keep an eye on it, and if it worsens we'd attack it. Would involve dropping the crossbrace, drilling out the old one, and reinstalling. 3+ hours of labor.

If that didn't work, it would be a major $$ job. Talked about pulling cylinder head, etc. Sounds like I may be glad I bought the extended warranty.

Good luck with yours. Let us know how it goes.

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
fab

oil leak

More info: I've been in contact with the Porsche service manager through out the whole process.
Here's the scoop-
I bought the car last month from a Mercedes Benz dealer, Flagship Motorcar in Lynnfield. Prior to buying the car I had my mechanic check it out. He noticed an oil leak. I pointed it out to the dealership, Flagship. They said we will have our mechanic fix it. On that agreement I bought the car. Drove it right to a storage unit because we have hada bad winter. It's has been in storage for several weeks. As soon as the weather broke I made an appt. with a Porsche dealership, Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston (different dealership from where I bought the car but happens to be their sister co.) for a routine check up and I was going to have them change the oil. Well guess what...ugh FLAGSHIP never fixed the leak. It has been a battle with them. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!I reported them to the BBB and attorney general office.
Keep in mind I have a standard 60 days 2500 mile warranty with Flagship on a used vehicle. They still gave me a hard time.

Herb Chambers, service manager told me there is no sense in changing the oil because in order to fix the leaks it will have to be drained. The service manager has been so kind. He was fighting for me because the car should have never been sold in that condition. The out come of this story is yes, Flagship will have to pay for this repair.

I do believe my car is in good hands. As for FLAGSHIP MOTORCAR I would advise anyone in the NE area stay away. Once they have your money they don't care about you.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #6

you should email this thread to FLAGSHIP and threatent to email it to Rennlist, Porsche Petes's, your local PCA web page etc.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
fab

I am so sick of FLAGSHIP. I do not want to have any contact with them. TOTALLY DISSAPOINTED with them. I honestly think that they thought because I'm a women I would just pay out of my pocket for the repair. Well they had another thing coming, especially lying about repair. That's Bad business.....
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #8

The last time I had my oil & oil filter changed at Momentum Porsche off SW Freeway H-59 they had pointed out that my rear mail oil seal was leaking. I have noticed some drops every so often in my garage floor. I just need to make time to get the car back over to them so they can replace it. It's nothing serious but, I wouldn't want it to fail under hard driving.

I do believe some dealerships are good and others can be outright bad. I had real trouble with ProTechnic here in Houston. I will never do business with them again and I would worn other to stay away unless you like spending money for nothing!

Stanislaus R.R.
Cypress, Texas - USA
www.rothbauer.us
Rothbauer_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #9

I've had experience with Chambers. If it were me, I would be sure to TELL THEM TO NOT WASH YOUR CAR as part of their service. This "customer relations bonus" service left me with fine scratches all over the surface of my new car... which was in for other delivery cosmetic issues at the time and this just topped off the experience. Must have had something on whatever they were using to wash or dry the car.

BTW fab, you might want to check out the GBBG listings here for a group of Boxster owners in the Boston area. We're always looking to involve others in the activities.

Good luck with your car!

Last edited by donv; 04-01-2005 at 03:14 PM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #10

Back to the issue of "we will fix that!"

Three pieces of advice from a dealer to customers:

1 Get it in writing.

2 Get it done before you pick up the car and give them your cash.

3 Take it to a third party to have the work checked.

Sad but true!

Good luck from here on in!

PS- I hate oil leaks!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote