Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
They are...from 1954 to 1967. No electronics or any other modern devices that cost a bundle to repair. A true American sports car then.

My uncle had a 69 with both tops, factory mags and a four on the floor. The mako body looked cool but the car itself was a very fast rumblebox.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #22

American Pride

No one builds a V8 like Chevrolet. The LS motors are bullet proof and crank out tons of power with just a few small mods.

The new LS9 with Eaton TVS Supercharger is going to be balistic!!!!

A lot a car for the money!!
TechArt Strut Brace Front and Rear
Technobrace (Thanks Pedro)
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageINC123
No one builds a V8 like Chevrolet. The LS motors are bullet proof and crank out tons of power with just a few small mods.

The new LS9 with Eaton TVS Supercharger is going to be balistic!!!!

A lot a car for the money!!

Nice! I used to be think the same thing, growing up my dad had a lot of chevy's including an SS 396. I do have to tell you though, much to my surprise the 5.0 in my Mountaineer has not only been a fantastic motor, it's a rocket. Call me crazy but even with all the truck weight, in 4WD I'm 100% sure I could smoke my Boxster out of the hole with it.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
My uncle had a 69 with both tops, factory mags and a four on the floor. The mako body looked cool but the car itself was a very fast rumblebox.
Yeh baby, you could feel the road then. Going 60 felt like a 160. I've built rat rods that you never put foot down...no floor board, all rusted away. It sure was fun back in the 60's. No insurance needed, the cops always wanted to race you. They like showing off their Dodge's with 440's under the hood. Different time and mentality.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Yeh baby, you could feel the road then. Going 60 felt like a 160. I've built rat rods that you never put foot down...no floor board, all rusted away. It sure was fun back in the 60's. No insurance needed, the cops always wanted to race you. They like showing off their Dodge's with 440's under the hood. Different time and mentality.

and how... in so many ways, the people of the current day will never know life without cameras all over the public spaces, being able to smoke and drink, boarding a plane with a friendly hello instead of with half your wardrobe in hand and a courtesy x-ray scan....
Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #26

I had several C1s and C2s. There were great looking cars, loads of fun. I remember changing a clutch in my driveway on my 63. Tooks us a couple of hours if I remember correctly. My brother did most of the work, I handed him the tools.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #27

the wifey always liked corvettes, but i converted her to porsches. But she likes the power of the cars and i think she drives faster tahn me.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #28

Back in the day, I had a '63 Split Window which I sold within 6 mos (Who knew..??).

I liked the car, but I didn't love the car.

But I really like the C6 and think it belongs in any discussions of the 'best' sports cars available. It is a very good value, especially a year or two old.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #29

Mullikins Corvettes

Check out this site. They constantly update. You have David Mulllikin Jr and David Mullikin Sr. This is Juniors site. http://www.mullikinscorvette.com/
Junior is more into the retro-mods and sr more stock. David Sr. has been working on vettes for over 45 years. Most of Seniors work is concorse restorations. Last time I was over their which has been a couple years he was finishing up with two 67 427 big blocks. 435hp 3 deuces. All original matching numbers. They looked like they rolled off the factory line.
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #30

Hey guys, I've been busy so I haven't been able to get back to you.

It seems like the consensus is that C5's are pretty reliable. I am looking at C5 Z06's around the state for 25k ish. Seems fair to say they will drop a bit by the time I am gonna sell my Boxster (maybe a good 2 years).

I love my Boxster, but I feel like instead of buying another agile handler, I should try something completely different. I feel like the Corvette is the answer to that, extremely powerful and much simpler (a simple V8 in the front, no mid-engined stuff to worry about).

I suppose I will have to drive one myself and see how it is, but I'm thinking about ride quality (I hear its appalling), MPG, and cheapness as well. I have driven some more recent Chevy's (Cobalt, Malibu, HHR's) from rental agencies and have found it cheap, but not unbearable.

Last edited by Lordblood; 03-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #31
JTP

I hear the newer C5 and C6 Corvettes are pretty decent cars, I haven't driven one yet though.
Couple years ago I test drove a 1994 vette and it was awful. Ride quality was atrocious, car felt underpowered, and every bump and road strip caused shudders to come through the cabin. Lots of wind noise and squeaks in the coachwork. Maybe the car I drove was beat up by the previous owner.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Lord,

Dude look around the only way you should be paying near 25k for a c5 Zo6 is if it's in pristine,showroom condition.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #33

Here is one for ya!!

http://www.playwithcars.com/web/1406/vehicle/431861/1963-Chevrolet-Corvette-V7%20twin%20turbo

This place is just a couple of miles from my office. jay Leno has called a couple times showing interest in the car. This guy has several corvettes.
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Hey guys, I've been busy so I haven't been able to get back to you.

It seems like the consensus is that C5's are pretty reliable. I am looking at C5 Z06's around the state for 25k ish. Seems fair to say they will drop a bit by the time I am gonna sell my Boxster (maybe a good 2 years).

I love my Boxster, but I feel like instead of buying another agile handler, I should try something completely different. I feel like the Corvette is the answer to that, extremely powerful and much simpler (a simple V8 in the front, no mid-engined stuff to worry about).

I suppose I will have to drive one myself and see how it is, but I'm thinking about ride quality (I hear its appalling), MPG, and cheapness as well. I have driven some more recent Chevy's (Cobalt, Malibu, HHR's) from rental agencies and have found it cheap, but not unbearable.
HUGE fan of small block Chevy's here. Had many, all of which were 100% reliable. I'd definitely own another if I lived in AZ like yourself; all those open highways and freeways are perfect for a Vette. I bet the Boxster feels quite a bit underpowered out there....
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
I suppose I will have to drive one myself and see how it is, but I'm thinking about ride quality (I hear its appalling), MPG, and cheapness ...
Why pass judgment on a car you haven't driven? Take a Z06 for a spin and decide for yourself. That's what I did. Ride quality was just fine. The torque/power is intoxicating. Owners report getting 30 mpg on the highway. Blinkwatt is correct, nice C5Z's can be had for closer to $20k. If you don't climb out of the car after a test drive with a big smile on your face, then either you didn't drive it right or you should shop for a Buick. Based on your original statements, I predict a Corvette will be on your short list. It's on mine.

Last edited by swrd911; 03-17-2010 at 05:45 PM.
swrd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #36

I test drove a 'Vette, along with many other cars when I was shopping last year, you're right about the power, I miss driving a V8 powered car! The main reason I bought a Boxster instead, is the Vette felt much bigger, and I didn't like the shifter at all, very stiff self-centering spring action. I did like the heads-up display though.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #37

A C5 Z06 Vette is definitely within my top 3 car list for the next purchase. But that date like I said could be a couple of years away. Yeah, the main reason I want the vette is because of the power, all the roads here are completely straight and have very little elevation change. This makes the Boxster feel a bit underpowered and boring, as it takes quite a bit of G force to get the Boxster to come alive. I did love driving it up the mountains though, that was definitely worth all the money I've spent repairing the dang thing :P.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #38

It's going to feel like a brute compared to the Boxster and the performance price comprise is phenomenal. I doubt I'll ever get anything more powerful than the Boxster and that's OK, I feel privileged to own it.

I'd like to drive (not own) a Ferrari and a 911 GT3 just once before I check out, I can't see that happenin either though...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #39

When I was shopping for a sport car almost two years ago, I was all over the map before I stumbled into my current 2001S. On my birthday I test drove a 993 and a vette on the same day one same course. The Porsche was first and I was amazed by the handling and speed.

Then I drove the vette...wow...power band quite different...when I punched it at 30 mph I lost traction even with traction control. Made the porsche seem like a small toy,,,The engine is bullet proof...I may still get one some day... Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #40

Have owned two Vett's and one Porsche

2005 yearish. Since I've seen amazing handling already, I think it's time for some amazing grunt.

Is anyone here a Corvette owner or has been in the past? How was your experience? Pros/cons? Same goes for Elises.[/QUOTE]

Previously owned a C4 and a 2000 C5 Corvette. Currently a 2002 Boxer S. The C4 was not that great in my opinion. I called it my slip and slide. It was fun as I think all Corvettes are fun. My C5 was pretty bullet proof only issue I had was a minor AC issue with the control that directed the flow to the cabin. It somehow was blowing hot air on the passenger side. Six speed trans, very fast, but did not handle nearly as well as the Boxer S, or perhaps better said I could not drive it as well perhaps. This is my first Porsche and I call it my starter Porsche and plan on another probably this year. Great find, 27k on it when I bought it about 34K now. Daily driver with the Tip trans and while I was not looking for that at first this one was too good of a deal to turn down and I will get another Tip or the PDK if I find a decent deal on a 09. I really like the fact you can just drive it in auto and when you want to play the tranny is very responsive. First gear starts are a hoot, probably quicker out of the shute than a Vett for the first 100+ feet or so anyway.
Very different cars and I enjoyed the C5 a lot.. great on trips, fast, great ride ( I did replace the stock shocks with Edlebrooks however which really reduced the plastic rattle in the cabin especially when I ran over those damn road botts) and I thought it was a comfortable car to take on trips. The Boxer is obviously a lot tighter in the cabin but the seats keep you planted and long trips don't present a problem.. just no space for much of anything in the cabin area.
Not saying I will never own a Vett again now that I have discovered Porsche but when I replace this one it will be with another. Probably the Cayman S as I rarely seem to take the top down.. however it is nice on warm Las Vegas evenings. I think you will miss your Boxer if you sell it for a Vett, at first anyway.. but once you get used to your Vett it will grow on you also.. Both are fun cars, Boxer/Porsche repair issues worry me some...more probably due to reading some horror stories on this forum. Like any other forum however there a lot more owners out there who are not even aware of forums.
Good luck on your decision.. don't think you can go wrong with either.
Hal@Ricor

Hal@Ricor is offline   Reply With Quote