View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
Hal@Ricor

Have owned two Vett's and one Porsche

2005 yearish. Since I've seen amazing handling already, I think it's time for some amazing grunt.

Is anyone here a Corvette owner or has been in the past? How was your experience? Pros/cons? Same goes for Elises.[/QUOTE]

Previously owned a C4 and a 2000 C5 Corvette. Currently a 2002 Boxer S. The C4 was not that great in my opinion. I called it my slip and slide. It was fun as I think all Corvettes are fun. My C5 was pretty bullet proof only issue I had was a minor AC issue with the control that directed the flow to the cabin. It somehow was blowing hot air on the passenger side. Six speed trans, very fast, but did not handle nearly as well as the Boxer S, or perhaps better said I could not drive it as well perhaps. This is my first Porsche and I call it my starter Porsche and plan on another probably this year. Great find, 27k on it when I bought it about 34K now. Daily driver with the Tip trans and while I was not looking for that at first this one was too good of a deal to turn down and I will get another Tip or the PDK if I find a decent deal on a 09. I really like the fact you can just drive it in auto and when you want to play the tranny is very responsive. First gear starts are a hoot, probably quicker out of the shute than a Vett for the first 100+ feet or so anyway.
Very different cars and I enjoyed the C5 a lot.. great on trips, fast, great ride ( I did replace the stock shocks with Edlebrooks however which really reduced the plastic rattle in the cabin especially when I ran over those damn road botts) and I thought it was a comfortable car to take on trips. The Boxer is obviously a lot tighter in the cabin but the seats keep you planted and long trips don't present a problem.. just no space for much of anything in the cabin area.
Not saying I will never own a Vett again now that I have discovered Porsche but when I replace this one it will be with another. Probably the Cayman S as I rarely seem to take the top down.. however it is nice on warm Las Vegas evenings. I think you will miss your Boxer if you sell it for a Vett, at first anyway.. but once you get used to your Vett it will grow on you also.. Both are fun cars, Boxer/Porsche repair issues worry me some...more probably due to reading some horror stories on this forum. Like any other forum however there a lot more owners out there who are not even aware of forums.
Good luck on your decision.. don't think you can go wrong with either.
Hal@Ricor
Hal@Ricor is offline   Reply With Quote