Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #1

Paint Touching Up

After the collection of two new small dings, I've decided that some new paint will be nice for the summertime. I have some rock chips up front, 2 small dings, 1 midsized ding, and a hardly-visible indentation behind the passenger vent (the useless vent). The dings are spread evenly between the sides. So, it's not an isolated area that needs touching up. How much would something with minimal body work, but lots of coverage/blending run? Is it going to be a $2k job or a $5k job? If I remove the bumpers, headlights, mirrors, etc, what would be a fair price?

Thanks,

Jon

Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Jon post a pic of the damage so we can give you a better idea.

My personal experience tells me that shops dont like doing "spot touch up" they will probably tell you then need to paint the entire panel to make sure the panels blend and match. Thats when stuff gets costly.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

touch up

Have a PDR guy take care of the dings,and the indentation, as long as the paint isn't chipped. Had mine done and the panels were brought back to perfection!
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #4

I can tell you that I have one small chip/scratch which is a 1/2" long and 1/32" wide and is down to the primer right on the hood. I could touch it up but probably won't be happy with that result. I brought it to the Porsche body shop and they quoted me $750. Use that as a judge of what paint will cost for your Porsche. $$$
jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #5

automotivetouchup

I found the website
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

purchased their small 1/2 ounce bottle in my 98' glacier white and a 1/2 bottle of their clear coat all for under $20 including shipping...worked great color matched up nice. I just went down to the local arts and crafts store and bought size 0 brush for like $1.50 and bingo...Their paint comes with brush in the cap, but best to buy your own small brush for better results. Cheers.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #6

Knowing that touch-up is never ideal, I tried this system and was impressed enough with the results on my wife's car to forgo about $2,000 in "new paint". http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Here's a review from the Wall Street Journal. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-do-it-yourself-facelift-for-the-car

One caveat -- and they clearly note this on their site, for some reason touch-up on silver cars (my Boxster is Artic Silver) -- is particularly difficult. But I tried it on my car anyway. Less pleased with the results (as they predicted). But on my wife's dark blue Mercedes, it did a fantastic job. If you have a dark car -- or anything non-silver for that matter -- it's really worth a shot.

Last edited by d18mike; 05-30-2010 at 04:43 PM.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #7

One caveat -- and they clearly note this on their site, for some reason touch-up on silver cars (my Boxster is Artic Silver) -- is particularly difficult. But I tried it on my car anyway. Less pleased with the results (as they predicted). But on my wife's dark blue Mercedes, it did a fantastic job. If you have a dark car -- or anything non-silver for that matter -- it's really worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

I also have an Arctic Silver car. I was told that when the paint is sprayed on, the little metallic chips align themselves near the surface in an even pattern. This is hard to duplicate or match. Even the touch up metallic silver paint doesn't have the chips line up to match the sprayed on original. If you look at a touch up you will see that it reflects light differently depending on the angle you are looking at it. All metallic paints suffer from this 'problem' whereas the solid non metallic are more easily matched, hence the success with the white paint.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

That ultimate factories show on tv did one on the 911 and the process for the paint
was quite impressive. I have read on the autopia site that the pro detailers call Porsche paint soft. Good to know about drchip for dark cars!
ElementAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
kaa

body work

Hi all

somebody hit my boxster at the rear fender and it now has two dings there.
I'm thinking about body work. Could anybody recommend me experienced PDR service in south bay area, CA?

kaa is offline   Reply With Quote