Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #1

The Thrill of Driving your Box/Cayman

This thread (which I am sticking) is all about fun. Here, I invite you to post any and all thoughts on how you feel when you are behind the wheel of your Box/Cayman. Come to think of it. You don't even have to be behind the wheel.

Call me crazy but I love detailing a Box. Did one this past Saturday and it looked really great when I was done. That was a hoot!

So, please participate as often as you would like. Blown engines be damned. Lets have some fun!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
1st one in
taking turns with no brakes :dance:
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #3

I agree. These cars are too fun

And mine has been rock solid reliable, knock, knock knock on wood.

Short story about me NOT being behind the wheel:

This past weekend my wife and I took a much needed short trip to Hermann MO for the Octoberfest celebration. We stayed at a beautiful little b&b, Les Lavandes, owned by a wonderful Swiss woman, Myrta, and her husband, Richard. On Sunday morning we were all in the kitchen, where else?, and Myrta was looking out the window at my car. "What a great looking car, what is it?" I told her a Porsche Boxster and she said oooooo there are lots of them in Europe. I've always wanted to drive one. hmmmmmmmmm. Richard looked up from the stove and rolled his eyes, knowing what was going to happen. It did.

I asked her if she would like to drive it. She giggled like a little girl and said Of COURSE. She threw on her shoes and bolted out the door. But once outside she was having second thoughts. I told her I'd drive it for a while and then she could take over. For about ten minutes we wandered through the back roads, up and down the hills and around some pretty tight corners. All the time Myrta is obviously having a blast. We come to a remote intersection and I ask her to take over. She gets in, adjusts all the mirrors, puts on the seat belt, adjusts the seat and asks...are you ready? WHAT??? lol. For the next twenty minutes or so she drives the car like a pro...downshifting, matching revs, taking corners faster than i really expected her to. ooooooo this car really accelerates great doesn't it, she says? All the while she's commenting on how smooth the ride was, how well it handled, and all the other things we all bought our cars for. She was having a ball and so was I just watching her.

We get back to the B&B and Richard just looks at me with that "What the heck did you just do" look! lol. Myrta reminds him that next year is her BIG birthday (I can't guess her age but I'd imagine it to be 65,,,maybe more) and not so subtly hints that a new car would certainly be a good birthday present. When we left Myrta was still grinning. It reminded me of my first drive in a Porsche many years ago. I think we have a convert.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!

Last edited by Bob O; 10-28-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #4

We have this great road along the Batiquitos Lagoon here in Carlsbad. There is NOTHING like dropping the top and doing the nice long sweeps along this road. The view is incredible and the sound of the Box slidding along the road is pure magic.

Damn, I am going to miss California.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
This past weekend my wife and I took a much needed short trip to Hermann MO for the Octoberfest celebration. We stayed at a beautiful little b&b, Les Lavendes, owned by a wonderful Swiss woman, Myrta, and her husband, Richard.
Heh, cool story. I live in Columbia, MO, and have plans to hit up a B&B in Hermann soon (usually go to the Southmoreland in KC, but time for a change). Maybe we'll end up at Les Lavendes. If we do, I'll be sure to take the Boxster...

My best Boxster experience, other than the day-to-day fun of the damn thing, is a road trip from MO to MD that I took last summer. Tossed the bike in the trunk (well, both trunks), loaded up a weeks worth of riding stuff, and headed out. Great highway car, and especially fun tearing through the Appalachians.

When it comes to non-driving enjoyment, I like to go out in the garage and replace whatever it is that needs replacing. Working on cars is fun, and it's more fun (or is that frustrating?) when it's the Boxster.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #6

Do that. You'll have a great time. Hot tub, beautiful countryside, some really good roads to let out the Box. And Myrta's cooking is second to none. It's actually in Starkenburg, about 8 miles from Hermann.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #7

Garage
I've also been to the Southmoreland...

Is it still owned by two ladies? My sister lives in Fairway near the plaza now, so I don't stay there anymore.

My boxster: I love just staring at it in the garage! Owned it about a year now. No problems! I read all the threads about the problems people where having... bought one anyway. I have an uncle in Overland Park with a my'00 He's had it 9 years and the only thing he's done is replace the serp. belt and change the oil. Once again, no problems!

Absolutely love it!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #8

Mosport. Nuff said.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
onshore

I hate to admit this but since we are posting confessions after three months of ownership of a 1999 986 I still wake up in the morning thinking about excuses to drive my car. I've really put forth an effort to conserve resources by doing most of my errands on my bicycle but since I've owned my Boxster the bike has been gathering a little dust and the tires are getting flat spots on the bottom. It's hard to describe the feeling of driving anywhere in it especially with the top down because there are so many senses at work. Then there's that wail from the exhaust when I'm on a road where I can open it up. I have to admit I still wasn't satisfied just driving it around so a few weeks ago I tracked it at Infineon and oh boy is that another level of pure enjoyment. It made AX seem tame. Well enough I guess you can tell I'm in love.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #10

I think I just wrote my first poem...haiku maybe

deep in the country
long sweeper, top down
hard on the throttle; stars above
the glow of the head lights in the mist
flat six growl.........nothing like it
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I love this...

And the fact that the Boxster makes getting from Point A to Point B an experience instead of a chore.

Last edited by rick3000; 01-20-2010 at 07:17 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
Is it still owned by two ladies? My sister lives in Fairway near the plaza now, so I don't stay there anymore.
If I recall correctly, it's owned by a husband and wife these days. Great, great breakfasts. Mmmm. Pancakes.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
deep in the country
long sweeper, top down
hard on the throttle; stars above
the glow of the head lights in the mist
flat six growl.........nothing like it
It's a senryu, 5 lines.
Haiku is 3 lines 17 syllables 5-7-5.
Nice senryu, reminds me of driving at Point Reyes at night with the top down.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #14

thanks....it just came out of after going through the thread. they are actual things i experience.....thanks for the poetry lesson
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
the Boxster makes getting from Point A to Point B an experience instead of a chore.
+1 Very concise
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #16

for me, it's the daily transition between being called "bro" and "sir"
and top-down driving in the Texas hill country!!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

track days at Barber and any twisty roads on the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4g-85ZQpM

Be sure and wait for the lap where I pass the Carrera S in the straight.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Damn, I am going to miss California.
Where are you going?
One trip I like is, go north on I 15 to 79 south (just before you get to temecula), you'll take that all the way to Santa Ysabel. Then take 78 towards and through Ramona. Now take Highland Valley road down to the 15 again. You'll end up just north of RB. Don't forget to stop for apple pie in Santa Ysebel.
I'm on the north end of Escondido.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #19

While I do not promote or condone reckless driving, I believe that each of us has had at least one moment where we said, "Crap, if I'd been driving any other car, THAT would have turned out differently."

In my case, I was flying up a mountain road very, very early one morning and drastically underestimated my speed heading into a very sharp 30mph right-hand curve - I was going more than double that. In my previous car - and any other car I've ever owned, I would have understeered across the opposing lane of traffic and off the side of the road. The Boxster may have left a chunk of rubber or two on my side of the road that day, but damned if it was going to let me kill myself on its watch.

It was one of those moments when you realize just how much the Boxster can give, and forgive, before you really get in trouble.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #20

I do a 100 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. when I bought my 50,000 mile 02 boxster a few moths ago I thought I would try and keep the miles down and enjoy it on weekends etc.
this car is such a joy, that I have decided the heck with miles. I'm going to wear this thing out. I can't wait to get up up and ride to work. runnin 75, quick accel to 90 pass all the traffic,seconds later right back to 75.

killin the exit and entrance ramps

my high school age daughter has let me know that on the days I pick her up I must drive the porsche. the kids all comment. I told her it was 8 years old but she said ... they don't know that.

I'm going to put as many miles on this baby as I can.

and the gas mileage ain't half bad!!

02box is offline   Reply With Quote