Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #1

Drove my 3.4 today.

If I had more time I would have buttoned up this project months ago. I get to work on it about 45 mins a week. I need to get it aligned and that is it. I did get to take it out for a cruise tonight. No check engine lights, no leaks, all was good. 2.5 - 3.4 WO! I have not fully rev'd it out but it feels great. There is so much more mid range power and it could led go of the tires in first I think I will get some video or whatever you guys/gals want. The cayman tranny felt great, also I did not notice any differences in that, I have not drive my box though for a year and a half so.... I may not notice a difference in that.

Jay

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
If I had more time I would have buttoned up this project months ago. I get to work on it about 45 mins a week. I need to get it aligned and that is it. I did get to take it out for a cruise tonight. No check engine lights, no leaks, all was good. 2.5 - 3.4 WO! I have not fully rev'd it out but it feels great. There is so much more mid range power and it could led go of the tires in first I think I will get some video or whatever you guys/gals want. The cayman tranny felt great, also I did not notice any differences in that, I have not drive my box though for a year and a half so.... I may not notice a difference in that.

Jay

Cool, good for you, I still dream about a raby rebuild 2.9, it's just not economically feasible at the moment. Definitely interested in more of your reports after more miles in the seat.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #3

Congratulations. You must be really happy to have the car back on the road.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #4

a lot of us would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this.

I often wonder - if/when - I find myself looking at motors - if the unthinkable happens to me - would I decide to go this route and upgrade to a raby 2.9 or a used 3.4 - or just dump the car for parts.

gien how the used car market is so cheap - one could get a nice used 987 for not *that* much. when you assess the money you could "salvage" (pun intended) from selling your junk/parts car - and then look at what you would have spend on a 3.4L swap - and put that into the pile of money - you'd have almost enough to make a mega down payment on a CPO 987S.

i have to think a newer 987S would be a better overall car than an older 986 with a 3.4L swap. it woudl come down to what it cost to do the swap and how much the newer car would actually cost. if you crunched the true costs, and the "value" of what you woudl get for you money - one will lkely end up being the more logical route.

getting input from you on how good this 3.4L swap actually is would help a lot of us to make our own decisions on what we would do if/when we find outselves with a blown motor.

if you had the time, you ought to zip over to a Porsche dealer and look at a newer 987S. take one for a spin - and then post here with your subjective observations about what you like better.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I often wonder - if/when - I find myself looking at motors - if the unthinkable happens to me - would I decide to go this route and upgrade to a raby 2.9 or a used 3.4 - or just dump the car for parts.
Why not just steer for nearest tree when your motor starts to go? ... hit it hard enough for your insurance company to total the car, but not so hard as to put yourself in the hospital...

j/k.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

It will take 90-100miles for the check engine light to come on. If you have a scanner, plug in now and see if it has a code set, but has not lit the light. The adaptive takes awhile.

The 3.4 is a GREAT conversion

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #7

I don't really know how 8 grand compares to a new Boxster? I have no payment no miles on the car and I think it is way sexier than the new models.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #8

I did scan it for codes also.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
a lot of us would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this.

gien how the used car market is so cheap - one could get a nice used 987 for not *that* much. when you assess the money you could "salvage" (pun intended) from selling your junk/parts car - and then look at what you would have spend on a 3.4L swap - and put that into the pile of money - you'd have almost enough to make a mega down payment on a CPO 987S.

i have to think a newer 987S would be a better overall car than an older 986 with a 3.4L swap. it woudl come down to what it cost to do the swap and how much the newer car would actually cost. if you crunched the true costs, and the "value" of what you woudl get for you money - one will lkely end up being the more logical route.

getting input from you on how good this 3.4L swap actually is would help a lot of us to make our own decisions on what we would do if/when we find outselves with a blown motor.

if you had the time, you ought to zip over to a Porsche dealer and look at a newer 987S. take one for a spin - and then post here with your subjective observations about what you like better.
I think the difference is that JAAY is a DIYer, and can purchase a 3.4L engine for $7-8k, for example, and drop in the motor himself. If you look at it this way, it's a much cheaper alternative to upgrading to a 2.9 Raby engine or a CPO 987. However, if you end up with a blown engine and then have to pay for the 3.4L engine AND the installation, then the cost will be more comparable to a Raby rebuild, for example.

I have driven a 986 3.4L conversion mated to a 5-speed tranny, and while it is a definite big improvement in power and torque over my 2.7L 986, it did not feel as fast and refined as the 3.4L 987 I drove. Jaay, however, gets the added pleasure of knowing that he did all the work himself, and mods the car the exact way he likes it as opposed to the stock factory car. It all depends on what is more important to you- having a car that you can mod the heck out of and make it unique and special to you, or having the newest in factory updates/design/refinement, and of course, your budget.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #10

Paid 6k FYI for the motor
Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #11

[QUOTE] . . . when you assess the money you could "salvage" (pun intended) from selling your junk/parts car - and then look at what you would have spend on a 3.4L swap - and put that into the pile of money - you'd have almost enough to make a mega down payment on a CPO 987S. [QUOTE]

I would do a swap for the same reasons I would spend a lot at a veterinarian to save my dog instead of simply getting a newer puppy. I know I shouldn't emotionally attached to a car, but I can't help myself. Besides, I already know every nut and bolt of my car and getting a new one is a chance in itself.

I know everyone worries about the dreaded IMS failure, but I know a lot of people with M96 engines (both Boxsters and 911s) and none of them have ever had this problem or knows of anyone who has. I place that risk slightly below being eaten by a Chupacabra.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #12

Not if it is done properly.

-Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
It will take 90-100miles for the check engine light to come on. If you have a scanner, plug in now and see if it has a code set, but has not lit the light. The adaptive takes awhile.

The 3.4 is a GREAT conversion

B
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #13

I paid 6K for my 3.6 also
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #14

Drove 10 miles today. I know, not alot. The cool thing I can see so far I can drive the car in 5th below 2k. Cool to me at least.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Not if it is done properly.
Not sure if *everyone* here knows how to clear the adaptive

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Not sure if *everyone* here knows how to clear the adaptive

B
It has nothing to do with clearing anything, it has to do with integrating the engine properly. If done properly there are no 'tricks' to getting the engine to run just like it does in the 996.

-Todd
1971 911T
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #17

Jay,
Please empty your PM box. I can't respond to your latest message.

-Todd
1971 911T
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #18

I will do. Don't worry about it though I got it all figured out. Thanks anyways.