Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #1

HELP! NO snow TIRES!

Any tips for driving in the snow? Car is spin, spin, spinning!
Looks like the roads here around Metro NYC are going to suck big time
for a few days. I barely made it down the block this morning.
Chains?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #2

i would take public transportation

am in boston...just left my boxster at home, took the bus, when it gets like this.....there is no point, unless you have snow tires....

made that mistake once, got stuck going uphill, residential areas, parking lots that were not ploughed well...

Only end up leaving my car at home abut 10 days in the year...did not want to justify the snow tires....for those days....
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #3

winter tires is the only way...I don't put on mine, but last Tuesday I got caught because it started to snow during the day. Wide low profile summer tires are not good on snow, and that applies to any car....
I have not found the Boxster worse than other cars with summer tires on snow...I am sure you can go a way with the winter tires on, but I personally prefer to use another car...just for a few days on the year...
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #4

Just purchase snowtires... it's a night and day difference. Summer tires are downright dangerous in the snow IMO.
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #5

Talking

4 quality snows, ie Artic Alpins or Blizzaks. Having said that, taller snow will be a no go due to low height of the car. Many in the NE have beaters to drive during this nastiness you are having.

Or, move to SOCAL and forget the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #6

I just noticed in the Techequipment catalog that they make snow chains for 16 and 17" wheels. I might have to invest in these. anyone ever driven with chains on a car at all? How do they work on turns?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #7

snow tires

I live in Nassau County and I use my car everyday to drive to Westbury distance of 10 miles or so each way. I did buy from the dealer a whole winter tire package. Continentals with the 17'' alloys for 2200. Silver Star in Mineola stores the 18" carreras for $350/year or the winter tires.. The high performance tires in snow are useless. The streets I drive on are usually cleaned right away and the highway is also cleaned. What little snow I've driven on the car handles like the old VW bug. So patience is the key and never step on the accelarator hard.
Overall I'm happy the way it comports itself in the snow but I would never take the car in blizzard conditions with lots of snow on the ground.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
jch

Smile Snow Tires

I know the classifieds is probably the right place to post this, but this is just so on topic for the discussion on this thread going on right now, so I figured I should offer up my $0.02 and a solution.

Of course the answer is: use dedicated snow tires. All season tires are a compromise of everything, and good for nothing. High-performance summer tires (like we have on our 986s) are great on dry and wet, but absolutely worthless on snow and ice. Use dedicated snow tires on snow and ice, you'll be amazed at how good a tire can be in the snow and ice, especially if you've been trying to drive with the factory tires on snow and ice. As well, your treadwear will only be 50% on each set so each set lasts twice as long. Dedicated snow tires are cheaper than the performance tires too. The only real cost is the set of rims to mount them to, so you can swap back and forth without paying dismount/remount/balance fees twice a year. Of course, don't forget you can always resell your winter wheels when you're done with them and recoup (a portion of) your investment (exactly why I am doing now).

Now, onto how I can help. Our 1999 Boxster just went off lease and we returned it. So now we're selling the winter wheels and snow tires as a package. It is a set of four factory aluminum Porsche Boxster 16" wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport M2 205/55R16 tires mounted, balanced, and ready to bolt-on. Only two seasons of use, many miles left on tread. Will ship. Call or e-mail me, J.C., to discuss pricing if you're interested at jch@citilink.com or 763-221-5593.

Good luck!

-J.C.

jch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #9

How much?

How much are you asking for your winter tires and wheels?

To the poster interested in chains, I beleive they are only intended for low speed, not everyday driving. Snow tires are your best option.

Baconaire is offline   Reply With Quote