View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
jch

Smile Snow Tires

I know the classifieds is probably the right place to post this, but this is just so on topic for the discussion on this thread going on right now, so I figured I should offer up my $0.02 and a solution.

Of course the answer is: use dedicated snow tires. All season tires are a compromise of everything, and good for nothing. High-performance summer tires (like we have on our 986s) are great on dry and wet, but absolutely worthless on snow and ice. Use dedicated snow tires on snow and ice, you'll be amazed at how good a tire can be in the snow and ice, especially if you've been trying to drive with the factory tires on snow and ice. As well, your treadwear will only be 50% on each set so each set lasts twice as long. Dedicated snow tires are cheaper than the performance tires too. The only real cost is the set of rims to mount them to, so you can swap back and forth without paying dismount/remount/balance fees twice a year. Of course, don't forget you can always resell your winter wheels when you're done with them and recoup (a portion of) your investment (exactly why I am doing now).

Now, onto how I can help. Our 1999 Boxster just went off lease and we returned it. So now we're selling the winter wheels and snow tires as a package. It is a set of four factory aluminum Porsche Boxster 16" wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport M2 205/55R16 tires mounted, balanced, and ready to bolt-on. Only two seasons of use, many miles left on tread. Will ship. Call or e-mail me, J.C., to discuss pricing if you're interested at jch@citilink.com or 763-221-5593.

Good luck!

-J.C.

jch is offline   Reply With Quote