Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 AM   #21

Actually, my hairdresser (aka: The woman who cuts my hair) drives a Corvette.
And she is definitely not bald nor fat.

I think there is a level of truth to the fact that Vette owners only drive the car on weekends (when its not raining)... and the ones I see are "seasoned drivers".

But the thread was asking if "Therwood" should buy a Corvette or not, based upon the status of GM. My opinion would be to buy the car you want. GM, even in a CH11, would still have warranties and parts for years to come. If GM filed, it would take years before they could sort out the creditors. By that time you may have traded the Vette away. But, you may lose your pants in a trade-in because of GM's status down the road.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #22

The problem is I won't trade any of the "imported" cars as I'm planning to keep them for life and if possible, for my collection.

Japanese cars are different though as I would trade them when it gets old because they are domestic made and not so expensive.

I guess I'll just wait until GM settles and gets their money from their lenders. The problem is that they do not have many dealerships in Japan, so if they closed down their overseas dealerships then I will have a problem getting the car serviced. Come on GM!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #23

Car and Driver has an opinion

in its February 09 issue page 112 in it's editors choice section

Corvette was rated the 2nd most desirable sports car ahead of the Miata and the RX-8 with some very good words for the not yet available 370Z as a "one to watch".

Of course you could also consider the number one rated sports car described in these words "It's hard to think of a car that involves and indulges its driver so much. It is also surprisingly practical for a two-seat roadster."
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #24

C5 Z06 is a performance machine in all regards. With bolt-ons such as intake, full exhaust, header, cam, and a dyno tune the Z06 will put down ~420rwhp. Experienced drivers on corvetteforum.com have run in the 11's out of the box. With all that said and done there is nothing like a cruise top-down on a beautiful summer night than in a tight handling Boxster. Best of both worlds!

Last edited by Gubu986; 12-31-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
Fred Demara

I had a new 05 vette...does not compare to a porsche - in my opinion, the porsche is the better car...

the vette is like cutting steak by smashing it with your fist. The porsche cuts steak like a surgical razor.

One is a bull, the other is a gazelle... imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Hello all,

I know this is a boxster board, but is buying a corvette a recommended move these days?

I just looked at the pricing and since US$ rate is so cheap now I was kind of drooling to get the 6.2L version. But also since GM is on the verge of bankruptcy, is it advisable to buy one of their cars? I would hate getting one and then the company goes bankrupt!

I'm keeping the boxs for life, but kind of miss the growling sound of pure american V8.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #26

Boxster v. Corvette

Looked at a 2004 Corvette this weekend because I have gotten kind of depressed about all the negativity on this forum re IMS, slipped sleeves, D-chunks, etc. etc. Still scared my Boxster will blow up, but I just can't do the 'Vette. Didn't even drive it because I just hated the interior -- the experience was like sitting in a Cadillac made out of cheap vinyl. Less headroom than the Boxster, and I have no idea how you would tell where the front end of the car is. The steering wheel just feels loose and doesn't look sporting to me. And the Corvette's body is just tooooooo wide for me. I'm sure it would blow the doors off my 2.5L, but frankly speed just isn't that important to me. Still, I wanted to like the 'Vette so it was kind of disappointing, although my wife refers to the 'Vette as a redneck car and prefers the Porsche anyway.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #27

I can't help but notice a bunch of folks here are whining about the interior of the vette. Then by all means buy a frikin dining set

A person that drives a corvette is interested in primarily one thing, performance! If you don't care for that look elsewhere. If you can't stand the interior why don't you invest in a Caravaggio mod, I'm sure that will be more cost efficient than some dining sets!

Last edited by Gubu986; 12-31-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubu986
I can't help but notice a bunch of folks here are whining about the interior of the vette. Then by all means buy a frikin dining set

A person that drives a corvette is interested in primarily one thing, performance! If you don't care for that look elsewhere. If you can't stand the interior why don't you invest in a Caravaggio mod, I'm sure that will be more cost efficient that some dining sets!

I agree. BTW-that is a GREAT color scheme on your Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #29

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam

Aren't you the guy who posted all the images of the purty young thing posing with your Boxster? Glass Houses? Just kidding....for that matter I've heard the compensation comment made in reference to all manner of cars, Porsches included.

BL, you beat me to the ditto comment regarding the complaints about the Vette's interiors, I don't think they are THAT bad. For all the Vette haters, go out and drive one. Even the base car has 430 hp and handles pretty dang well....my 2 cents.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
Aren't you the guy who posted all the images of the purty young thing posing with your Boxster? Glass Houses? Just kidding....for that matter I've heard the compensation comment made in reference to all manner of cars, Porsches included.
I just find it to be so hiliarous that every other week someone will make a thread in the forum about Vettes. No Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lotuses. NoooooOOOOooo, I want a Vette!!! :dance:

Week after that, someone will make a thread about they're so worried their engine will blow up.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.

I propose to Brucelee that every week we should have IMS Tuesdays, RMS Wednesdays and Vette Thursdays. Just to organize things a bit ya know. :dance:
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I just find it to be so hiliarous that every other week someone will make a thread in the forum about Vettes. No Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lotuses. NoooooOOOOooo, I want a Vette!!! :dance:

Week after that, someone will make a thread about they're so worried their engine will blow up.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.

I propose to Brucelee that every week we should have IMS Tuesdays, RMS Wednesdays and Vette Thursdays. Just to organize things a bit ya know. :dance:

If someone is looking for a toy / performance / sports type of car used Corvettes and used Boxsters are priced closely to eachother, thus the posts. Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lotuses are simply in another league. For me what gets old are the cliche comments about Corvette owners (grey hair, balding, gold chain wearing, redneck, etc.) and the regurgitation of what some rag wonk had to say about the lack of suppleness on the C6's dash feel. They are simply two very different cars and should be appreciated for their own merits. I know it is usually done in jest but to snidely categorize a group of car owners is in my opinion poor form.

BTW...I forgot to ad that my personal hero is Smiling Bob...............Happy New Years!!!!!!!!

Last edited by coreseller; 12-31-2008 at 08:45 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #33

A Porsche is like a sip of fine wine. A Corvette is like a shot of Wild Turkey. To each his own.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I agree. BTW-that is a GREAT color scheme on your Box.

Thanks Bruce! My only regret is the non-glass window but life could be a heck of a lot worse.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygug
A Porsche is like a sip of fine wine. A Corvette is like a shot of Wild Turkey. To each his own.
Uh-O, I'm driving the wrong car. What do beer drinkers drive? The Chevy or Ford pick-up? (As I sit here with a Great Lakes Brewing Elliot Ness.)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Uh-O, I'm driving the wrong car. What do beer drinkers drive? The Chevy or Ford pick-up? (As I sit here with a Great Lakes Brewing Elliot Ness.)

Depends on the beer. My son drinks Guiness and he drives a BMW. I drink it too (love my wine too!) and I currently drive a Lexus.

Go figure.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote