Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Bleeding oil?

Just had a PPI on a 2000 Boxster S. Sent it to Porsche in Orlando.

The Mechanic that did the inspection said the car was in excellent health and that I had nothing to worry about. He did mention that the car should have the tires replaced and also mentioned another repair... What do you make of this?

He said that there were no oil leaks, but that the car was "bleeding" a little oil from the seems. He said it was nothing to worry about in the short term, but he recommended eventually getting some minor parts (seals?") replaced before it got any worse.

I am a little concerned about the term "bleeding". I have read others say that sometimes they start their car up and a smoke comes out... but it's nothing to worry about. OK... no big deal.

On the other hand... I have also read about engine failures from oil in the coolant.

I want to buy the car and have the repairs done... only trouble is? I live in Miami and need to drive the car home immediately. Won't be able to get this looked at for about a week. Mechanic says I could drive to New York and back a few times and not worry about it...

Thoughts?

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #2

There are no MINOR repairs when it comes to a Boxster that is weaping oil.

Pass on this one and find a better mechanic.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It sounds like an RMS problem, which means if the seal isn't replaced for about $600-100 depending on who does it, your facing a $10k engine replacement. I would pass on this one. Good luck with the search!

For lack of a better phrase your mechanic sounds like a greedy idiot. I would never risk a road trip with a leaking RMS seal. If the engine did fail you would be SOL, and from your mechanics point of view thats a lot of $$$.

Last edited by rick3000; 10-06-2008 at 05:02 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

From the description, sounds more like cam cover leaks to me. You don't want to pass on an otherwise good car.

But, you also don't want to own one of these w/o a 'war chest' of some size to sort the car out right as soon as possible after taking possession.

Get more information ie. where is it 'bleeding', get as much specific information as possible - where exactly is the leak, what seals is the mechanic talking about, get an estimate from the Service Mgr. in writing so you know exactly what you're looking at. Then decide to take a hike or not.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #5

Got a little more detail from the mechanic. The repair he would perform has to do with a "lower pan reseal, chain tensioner, and valve bolts". A few hundred dollars. He says their is no Rear Main Seal issue...

He keeps reassuring me that the car is in fantastic shape. He has no benefit from telling me that. I would be in Miami and would not be getting any future work done from him.

Does this help with the diagnosis?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

The lower pan seal is a very simple repair - drain oil, remove the 13 bolts holding the pan on, clean the mating surfaces on the pan and the block, re-seal with silicone, replace pan and re-fill with oil - It doesn't use a gasket at all, just a silicone bead, which is why it's prone to 'bleeding'.

The chain tensioner and valve bolts again is a pretty easy fix, but more difficult due to access.

You can have 100 Inspections done... but it all boils down to one thing - believing what someone else tells you, especially if you can't/don't inspect it yourself and know what you're seeing when you're looking at it.

If the mechanic is confident, and you're confident in him... and the car otherwise looks to have been well-maintained and in good condition, then you have to trust your gut.

Every used car involves some risk. A PPI minimizes that risk, but won't eliminate it altogether.

If everything 'feels' right and the car is priced competitively, then go with your intuition. good luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Since it isn't RMS, it may not be a huge deal. But because your talking about an oil leak, which is always bad, you might consider a second opinion. Just as a precaution.
If it feels right and it isn't RMS then go for it.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the advice and patience with my limited mechanical knowledge. Your help really gueded me through my difficult experience today. So glad that this board exists and is so responsive.

I ultimately had the car looked at by two separate mechanics (from the same location though). One I got to before he could be spoken with about the situation. He stepped me through the whole process as he worked and made me feel very at ease. I even got some time with the Porsche Diagnostic Computer.

I am going through with the purchase as I feel I have found a perfect match for me. There are no guarantees in life, but I definitely went the distance in my quest for mechanical nirvana.

Spent the few hundred for the oil leaks. I was told repeatedly that this could wait til I got home, but I figured... why wait?

I really can't complain.

2000 Boxster S
Silver/Black
Full Leather (in A+ condition)
Litronics
Navigation (Original Porsche)
New Top
Not one ding
Meticulously services
70k miles
$15,900

I just need new tires (at the moment)

I'll keep you posted. Sooo happy right now!!!

First P-Car... First love affair with a car.

...and my girlfriend lovers her too!

AGAIN. THANKS! WooooHoooooooo!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Congratulations!
I am glad to hear it worked out. Post some pictures some we can see what she looks like.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #10

Great!! My intuition tells me you made a good choice....many happy miles to you!

1999 Porsche Boxster