Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 01:48 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Folks, I think we've pretty much beaten this one dead...for the most part, there's a general agreement as to how we all feel about the S transmission. There are some people who are rather outspoken about it, either for or against.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...this shouldn't be a place to FORCE opinions on people, so I'm not sure where this thread can possibly go anymore.

Apparantly you either love the 6-speed or you hate it. Cool.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by Subanez
Folks, I think we've pretty much beaten this one dead...for the most part, there's a general agreement as to how we all feel about the S transmission. There are some people who are rather outspoken about it, either for or against.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...this shouldn't be a place to FORCE opinions on people, so I'm not sure where this thread can possibly go anymore.

Apparantly you either love the 6-speed or you hate it. Cool.

-Kevin
Agreed. I only come back to post on this topic when I have new information as in this case from the Nov. issue of Panorama. I also re-post information from the past very rarely in case newbies haven't read about the mis-matched 996 tranny in the 986S. Some may consider this troll behavior (not surprisingly mostly by 'S' owners), but believe it or not some people appreciate this information and I have been thanked in the past.
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:43 AM   #23

I currently have an S in stock and also, a 996. Both 6 speeds. The 996 shifts more smoothly, likely as well as any car I have every driven. The S, not so. However, the S still shifts very nicely and if I did not have the 996 as comparison, I would not have noticed.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #24

Just so I have this straight, when you talk about "smooth" shifting, are you refering to the shifter sliding into the gates or the transition from one gear to the next (speed matching revs)?

I have never had a problem with the gates, although my girlfriend who has driven many more manuals than I says that the throws are long. They seem fine to me.

On the other hand, there are some shifts (especially going from 3rd to 4th) where I experience a little jump because the revs don't fall fast enough. I always thought that since this is my first manual transmission car that it was my shifting style (self taught at 42, but what a car to learn on!).
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #25

Both the throw length and ease of engagement are better in a 996. Having said that, they are NOT BAD in the S either.

Blindfolded, you would certainly take the 996 shifter I would think.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucelee
I currently have an S in stock and also, a 996. Both 6 speeds. The 996 shifts more smoothly, likely as well as any car I have every driven. The S, not so. However, the S still shifts very nicely and if I did not have the 996 as comparison, I would not have noticed.
Gee....I wonder why..
Old 01-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #27

...chances are the feeling of gear change will always be better on a 911 vs a Boxster just because where the gear box is located in the car...It's more direct on a 911....
Anyway, Another S in S, are you complaining it's not 'smooth' or that its ratios are too 'long'?
Because smoothness, I drove 58 cars with a stick and my S is top 3 among them...
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #28

S in S seems very comitted that the 6 speed is a bad one. I don't think we are going to convince him otherwise.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucelee
S in S seems very comitted that the 6 speed is a bad one. I don't think we are going to convince him otherwise.
comitted - that's a very, nice way to phrase it.
Either that or a subtle threat
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #30
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Who cares? The Miata has the best tranny in the biz, but I'll keep my Boxster. I concur with Sir.Rhosisoftheliver, get the bus pass if you're too weak to shift the puppy! That was funny. Remember, nothing's perfect, but the Boxster is pretty darn close!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #31

I have been considering getting a B&M ssk since I've haven't heard anything negative from buyers. I heard that shortening the leverage as the B&M does makes it harder to engage gears however. Has anyone out there driven a B&M and stock shifter? Impressions?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #32
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Everyone I've talked to says only good things about the B&M shift kit.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #33

Agreed...I've never heard one bad thing about the B&M shifter...and that's next on the list of changes to the Boxster. From what I've been told, its pretty easy to install, too.

Not sure if it makes the gears harder to engage, though...

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 01-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally posted by IceBox
Everyone I've talked to says only good things about the B&M shift kit.
LOL. Ever wonder why it's only 'S' owners that get the B&M short shift kit? How come base owners don't get the kit? Folks, the B&M is just a band-aid. If you really want to fix the problem you need to put a 996 engine/drivetrain in your 'S' Better yet, save your money and upgrade to the 987S. The problem's been fixed in the 987S, as concluded by the November issue of Panorama.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #35

I have a base model.

I know three other people with base models.

They all have the B&M shifter and love it.

Which is why I'm going to get one.

There's no argument here, I'm just saying I want the shifter, haha.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #36

"LOL. Ever wonder why it's only 'S' owners that get the B&M short shift kit? How come base owners don't get the kit? Folks, the B&M is just a band-aid. If you really want to fix the problem you need to put a 996 engine/drivetrain in your 'S' Better yet, save your money and upgrade to the 987S. The problem's been fixed in the 987S, as concluded by the November issue of Panorama."

I would put a SS kit in a base Box in a minute. As far as the so-called "problem" with the S shifter, you can't seem to find anyone who has one here who will agree with you.

Hmmm, what is that telling you?

Old 01-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #37
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Well said, Brucelee!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally posted by Subanez
I have a base model.

I know three other people with base models.

They all have the B&M shifter and love it.

Which is why I'm going to get one.

There's no argument here, I'm just saying I want the shifter, haha.
Believe me, far more 'S' owners have bought the SS kit than base owners.

As for noone agreeing with me... don't make me post my 10 or 15 or so quotes from people agreeing with me! These are quotes from PPBB, a far more visited Boxster site than this one. I will post the quotes if you really don't think noone agrees with me, just let me know, OK? LOL.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #39

I think there are more people complaining about the lack of HP of their base than people complaining about the tranny on their S....and I think that you'll have to agree too...
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #40

No s**t. Like either car is without some faults. How long can this go on? S in S, please do us all a favor and post about something else for a change.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote