Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I hear you F1CAR4ME...all I have to say is B18C5. That was my last car. ::sniff::

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #22

"The problem with the VTEC engines is that they're not much fun on the street. On the track, when you can use the gearbox to keep the motor in the powerband all the time without the cops giving chase it's perfect. On the street, you can never hit that 8,000-9,000 RPM range in any gear but first, and there's no low end on those motors. So where the Boxster has pickup from - and is fun to drive at - pretty much any rpm range from 2,500 rpm up, those Hondas/Acuras are 2nd gear cars only on the street "

Bingo! The same goes for the VTEC motorcycle. I have a VFR and it is a great bike. However, the later versions had the VTEC motor and I rode one and hated it. My current VFR has nice low end torque and in everyday riding is much more pleaurable than the newer model, that DOES have more power over 8000 rpm.

RE: C5, I love the car, have owned several and sold many more. It is simply not the same car and I think few Porsche and Corvette owners swap cars over time. The C5 and 6 are brutes and totally fun to drive. But it is a very large car and much more crude in the way it gets things done.

Of course, if you are a dealer like me, you CAN have both and I often do, so I have a nice way to compare.

I had an S2000 once and was unimpressed. Too much work to go fast!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #23

Well the Vtec makes the s2000 very good as a commuter in terms of paying less at the pump. But that seems like a compromised sports car to me.
Also the early S2000's are really lacking in torque. This is completely lost on most people. THe instatnt you take off in an Boxster S you feel the torque. If I'm not mistaken it puts down 80% of its torque well before 4 RPM's. That's sick feeling as a driver.

Perhaps the 04 S2000 can come close to that but I haven't gotten behind the wheel of one. Torque is also vital in gear changes where horsepower isn't as relevant.
Which is to say nothing of the steering of the Boxster. I'm not sure how different it is from the S but this truly is WORLD CLASS steering. which you feel almost instantly. The S2000 doesn't have the same degree of that weighty satifying feel.
Also the engine note of Boxster S is similar to a lear jet taking off from a runway while the s2000 sound like well a (non-ducati) motorcycle.

Besides I have known several former Boxster S owners who now drive 911 (including a GT3) and all have nothing but positive things to say, basically a stepping stone to the sportscar that owns the Nurburg ring.

Adam, sorry to hear you live in the flat lands. The Boxster is an EXCELLENT city driving car. I run 3rd gear circles around NYC taxis. Corvette has to work on their image, maybe start pushing their international racing accomplishments. In France they line up to hear the C5 at the start of the 24 hrs of LeMans. Big image problem here in America. Those hideous interiors are a good place to start.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-04-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #24

It's no biggie, I just wish I didn't live in the middle of a cornfield sometimes. The only curvy backroads around here basically require 4wd or a pickup. I'm envious of all you guys that have good roads to drive your boxsters on. On a side note, the boxster has a less extreme form of V-tec called vario-cam right?

Last edited by Adam; 01-04-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #25

Yea, you got it...I'm not sure when porsche introduced it, but I think all of their engines handle it. Its sort of like VTEC, except where VTEC is a "on and off" switch around 5-6K RPMs, Porsche's vario cam adjusts the timing throughout the rev range to give it flatter curves in torque and horsepower.

In my old VTEC Integra, you could literally feel a kick in the butt when the VTEC kicked in. While that was fun, when you're hitting 5,700 RPMS in second gear, you're already at near highway speeds...and the torque below this magic threshold made the lesser "non-VTEC" integras more fun to simply drive around in. Some people even did a frankenstein converstion where they took the VTEC head off the Honda engine and mated it to the NON-VTEC Block, calling it the "LS-VTEC" engine...which was the best of both worlds, but you had better know what you are doing if you try to do this.

But yes, to answer your question, that's what vario-cam is...a more controlled and sophisticated version of VTEC. (Which stands for Variable Timing and Electronic lift Control)

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 01-04-2005, 08:31 AM   #26

Here's a quick link that explains VarioCam:

http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/boxster/boxsters.nsf/usaenglish/engine_transmissionvariocam

There's also a newer version called VarioCam Plus that's used in the 911s.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #27

I see. I have never driven a V-tec honda powered car so can't compare unfortunately. I need to borrow or at least get a ride in one sometime. I do know that my box s has pretty decent power pretty much anywhere north of 3k rpm but at alittle past 5K rpm it takes on a new aggressive character as the engine intake/exahust really start to come alive and the thrust level increases substantially. It's a pretty cool event. It seems especially noticiable in 3rd gear acceleration. I assume this is when the engine switches to the more aggressive cam profiles. The engine has 4 cams right? I know the Carrera engines are a 4 cam engine.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #28

Well to continue the Honda-Boxster comparisons, I can say that coming from a VTEC car the high-end of the Boxster is somewhat anti-climactic. It pulls hard up until about 6500 RPM and then falls off, while in the Hondas you can easily hit the rev limiter because power climbs all the way to the redline. The flip side to that is that they feel like you granny's civic unless you rev the snot out of them.

Honda also has every manufacturer in the world beaten hands-down when it comes to making manual transmissions. It's honestly the one part of my Boxster I wish I could swap with the Integra's 5-speed.

As far as VTEC vs VarioCam, I wouldn't call either system "better", they're simply different design solutions to the same objective.

I have a lot of respect for Honda. Their engineering is top notch. They pack a lot of technology into a low priced product. Their success is racing speaks for itself. In fact, I can't remember Honda participating in a series where it wasn't eventually competitive at the highest levels.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #29

Doesnt the variocam+ also exist on the post 2002 boxsters?

Anyway, to the original question:
Originally wanted a 996 (which I drove), but then wanted a cabrio...and when it comes to cabrio...the boxster S was a much better choice. I test drove it and that was it.

Honda? No, never. Only German cars for me anyway. And no 4 cyls either!
I drove the 2K for an hour. Hmmh...no, not for me :-)

Adam: come in Switzerland, we have wonderful twisties roads...to the point you wish you'd see a straight line of more than a half a mile again :-)
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #30

ok see if you can follow this logic.

I wanted a convertible AND I wanted a Porsche.
But I wanted the convertible more than I wanted the Porsche
a 911 convertible seemed almost unethical.
a 911 Targa is more acceptable.

So the only choice really is a Boxster (S).
Old 01-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #31

Do agree with you ... Even if the Boxster is less powerfull the fun you could have with a engine in the central position is really great !!!
About the headlights on the 987/997 most of the people really enjoy the design similar to the previous generation ... and the frog eyes is really typical from porsche ..
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #32

the frog eyes is far far too similar to Volkwagen beetles. I know VW and Porsche are cousins but the past is past!
The other night I was driving and my passenger said
"look another Boxster, an orange one!" when the car drove past us it was Beetle convertible!

Porsches and Volkwagens should never look similar
Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #33

As a guy who has a 911 and a Boxster S, I can tell you the S is the more fun car to drive fast. The 911 has serious engine grunt but the rear engine has to be paid attention to or you can get into some interesting situations.

From my perspective, the is just the best handling car out there.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #34

I wanted a convertible - my last convertible was a '76 X1/9 .

I test drove pretty much every convertible that wasn't in the Caddy/Lead sled category. The Viper was a hoot to drive but there was no refinement. When I drove the Ferrari 308 - part of me went "this is Ferrari?" but my face got this big old grin and I realized it was all about the mid-engine magic. So I went down to the Porsche dealership and had a serious discussion about my needs and he took me out in Boxster S w/030 suspension and 18" wheels - magic. 17" wheels and standard suspension - less magic. After months of looking I snagged a ride in a new M3 convertible - no magic. S2000, Panoz, SLK - no magic.

I ordered my Boxster in Oct 2001 and am truly amazed that a car has had this much impact on my life. We are quite possibly companions for life.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #35

wow no magic from the S2000? I guess its hard to tell when you have the salesman in the car. That didn't stop my friend from driving a Cooper S flat out with the sales guy holding onto the "oh **************** handle" with both hands. crazy guy.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #36
porsche986

i agree, the new headlight are the same as a VW beattle.
Why change in the first place....

ad sach, i also have a bmw m3 and i find it quite quick. its a nice drive but i know what you mean, the boxster is much better for driving, but the m3 has 4 seats

Last edited by porsche986; 01-04-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM   #37

You gotta love the M3. Very nice car and because it is German, kinda of pricey!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #38
PAH

I bought my Boxster because I needed a replacement for my MG (below). The warranty had run out, and this was a car with constant problems - 35 trips back to the dealership in less than 3 years. I wanted something reliable, fast, and with a reputation for being the best. The Boxster filled that requirement perfectly.

Not only that - I always wanted a Porsche since I was little!!
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #39
porsche986

Paul did you part ex your MG toward the boxster.

nice picture by the way... i tried that once and the farmer started chasing me in his landrover lol

I am going to spend summer getting some good pics...

Last edited by porsche986; 01-05-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #40

I know what some of you guys mean about the new beatle. It was dark out and I could have sworn a 996/986 was coming torward me but it ended up being a beatle. That was kinda a let down. Jeannot, I think you are right about newer boxsters having vario-plus whatever that means. I read something about slightly better fuel consumption that's attributed to the plus. I wonder if the that also accounts for the slight hp bump the more recent boxsters have seen?