Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #1

Remote key problem

When I changed the battery in my remote key, two little tabs of metal fell out and now the damn thing won't work. Can I just get a replacement circuit board or do I need to buy and have programed a whole new key? What is the cost of such a little gem? Engine, 2.7 with Tip, still running but my fingers are crossed.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with my remote. If you are handy with a solder iron I would just solder some thin metal contacts back on. The solder went on thicker than I expected for me however with a bit of filing I was able to put all back together. Has been working great since then.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #3

Just had a second key made for my '00 since when I purchased the car the guy only had one key. I paid $330 at Porsche in Tampa, Florida.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #4

Jeet Sweezus!

$330 for a KEY? I am beginning to think this car is going to become a financial albatross. Good Grief!!??!?!?
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
Just had a second key made for my '00 since when I purchased the car the guy only had one key. I paid $330 at Porsche in Tampa, Florida.

Eric

WTF? That's insane! My wife accidently washed my second key last week and I told her not to worry "it'll likely cost $100 or so to replace". Thankfully it works fine after drying. These cars are looking more and more expensive. For $330 it should operate my home theater too.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Gentlemen, welcome to Porsche ownership.

Every friggin' thing on our cars costs 2-10 times more than it should.

Get out the soldering iron and save yourself some cash.

BTW, I paid about $160 for my key with a new key head (with barcode tag) off eBay, a new key blank from Sunset, and local programming costs.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
dj1

I just replaced 2 old keys. Actually only the FOBs, cuz they use the old metal part of the key. One head is a remote that opens the front and back compartments, the other is just a tiny,cheap head that you'd be embarrassed to show anyone. Price from the dealer: $379.20. That's more than I spent maintaining the whole car this entire year. Oh well...maybe I've been lucky.

dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote