Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #1

2005 Boxster S Convertible top defect anyone?

I have a 2005 Boxster S and have been experiencing material wear of the convertible top material in different places of the roof. They look like the material is being worn or rubbed when the roof is down and stowed. I spoke with the Porsche dealership and they told me unless it is worn through it is not covered under the manufacturers warranty. Does anyone else out there have this problem with their Boxster? Thanks in advance for your input!

Regards,

Hammer

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #2

You should try and post a picture. I know on the 986 Boxsters, when the tops see frequent use visable wear patterns evolve. This manifests in a look of "scratched" cloth. Might have something to do with the way the top Z folds down and sits on itself.. then moves around a tiny bit while being driven - causing rubbing.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #3

The top on the 987 is susceptible to pressure circles when put down wet or even slightly damp. More noticeable with a lighter colored top, obviously. My blue top had several, my black top...can't see them.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #4

I had a 2000 Boxster and had this problem. Mine came in the crease of the first fold. It really upset me at first because I thought the top was ruined. I now have a 2002 Boxster S and have the same problem. I went to autotrader and closely examined pictures of Boxsters with the top up. I found many of them had the same problems I had. I don't know what is causing it or what to do to improve the condition.

Tom
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
bmussatti

I think my Cocoa top looks great! I do agree with SD987 about the 2-3 compression circles. I actually lost points at a Concours last year for the compression circles! Though, I notice it most if the top was put down wet/damp.

My top should look good, though. It is garage kept, rarely sits out in the sun, and I use a small convertible top cover if the car is parked outside for more than a couple hours. And I have about 6 coats of Ragg Topp on her. I did 3 coats last year; the day I brought her home form the dealership and then another 2-3 coats this year after winter storage, just prior to the new driving season in April.

I never wash the top with any soaps, and I dry it with the leaf blower. Actually, I just blow off the water beads with the leaf blower. The Ragg Topp makes the water bead like crazy!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
The top on the 987 is susceptible to pressure circles when put down wet or even slightly damp. More noticeable with a lighter colored top, obviously. My blue top had several, my black top...can't see them.
SD987, I put felt pads on the "rubber bumpers" last year, And I do not see these compression circles as much as I did last season. I used the large (2 inch?) felt circles (with sticky tape) you can purchase from the hardware store that people use on furniture to protect hardwood floors.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #7

Is Ragg Top working for you to this day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think my Cocoa top looks great! I do agree with SD987 about the 2-3 compression circles. I actually lost points at a Concours last year for the compression circles! Though, I notice it most if the top was put down wet/damp.

My top should look good, though. It is garage kept, rarely sits out in the sun, and I use a small convertible top cover if the car is parked outside for more than a couple hours. And I have about 6 coats of Ragg Topp on her. I did 3 coats last year; the day I brought her home form the dealership and then another 2-3 coats this year after winter storage, just prior to the new driving season in April.

I never wash the top with any soaps, and I dry it with the leaf blower. Actually, I just blow off the water beads with the leaf blower. The Ragg Topp makes the water bead like crazy!
I feel the same way about my top, and since it's new, I was wondering about the specific Ragg Topp application you are using. Like all Boxster owners, I want to keep it looking new! Thanks

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote