Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #1

A Very Sad Sight

I started up the Boxster this morning and headed down the street. I noticed that it was difficult to shift gears, so I turned around to head back home. That's when I saw the trail of fluid heading back toward the house. No warning lights came on, the fluid looks like transmission fluid and the oil levels did not go down.

I just had it towed to the independent shop that I use in Richmond. They said they should be able to check it out this week to see what happened. There were no unusual noises, rpms were low, just had trouble shifting gears, never had any fluid leak onto the floor before.... Any ideas?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #2

Sounds to me like you've already narrowed it down pretty well.
Best of luck, keep us posted.
Kevin
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your problem. It seems like transmission problems are relatively rare (compared to RMS leaks, IMS failure, etc.) but it certainly sounds like that's the problem.

Where did you take the car? Lufteknic?

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I started up the Boxster this morning and headed down the street. I noticed that it was difficult to shift gears, so I turned around to head back home. That's when I saw the trail of fluid heading back toward the house. No warning lights came on, the fluid looks like transmission fluid and the oil levels did not go down.

I just had it towed to the independent shop that I use in Richmond. They said they should be able to check it out this week to see what happened. There were no unusual noises, rpms were low, just had trouble shifting gears, never had any fluid leak onto the floor before.... Any ideas?

Ed

Well if the fluid leaked is very thick, then yup its transmission gear oil... Your leaking it from 1 of 4 possible areas.

1) Front main tranny seal
2) Drain plug
3) Passenger side axle seal
4) Driver side axle seal

Jack it up and take a look.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

Yep, I took it to Lufteknic,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Sorry to hear about your problem Ed. When is your big trip scheduled?

Keep us up-to-date on the diagnosis. My car is a 2000 2.7 with 77,000 miles......

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #7

Our big trip is this Wednesday, so we will be taking the Forester, its a sad day in mudville....

Ed

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #8

Interested to hear what it turns out to be. Hope it turns out to be simple.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #9

Happy ending.... I just got word back from the mechanic about the transmission. Seems that there is a bolt on the transmission housing that acts as a pin to hold internal parts in place. It also is a point where transmission fluid can leak out. My mechanic said he has never seen one come loose and fall out, which mine did. He found the bolt/pin bouncing around on the plastic undercarriage.

He got the bolt/pin reinstalled, put in new transmission fluid, and says its good to go. Looks like it is just going to be a few hours labor. Thats what I call sweet, now, lets see, with all the money I saved by not putting in a new/used transmission..... maybe I should start looking for those GT3 seats that have been calling my name......

Ed

:dance: :dance:

Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Happy ending.... I just got word back from the mechanic about the transmission. Seems that there is a bolt on the transmission housing that acts as a pin to hold internal parts in place. It also is a point where transmission fluid can leak out. My mechanic said he has never seen one come loose and fall out, which mine did. He found the bolt/pin bouncing around on the plastic undercarriage.

He got the bolt/pin reinstalled, put in new transmission fluid, and says its good to go. Looks like it is just going to be a few hours labor. Thats what I call sweet, now, lets see, with all the money I saved by not putting in a new/used transmission..... maybe I should start looking for those GT3 seats that have been calling my name......

Ed

:dance: :dance:
Well, you are not really saving any money, but hey, go get those seats anyway.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #11

That's great news.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote