Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Garage
Secondary Cat Delete / Test Pipes

Jan 4 I ordered the Top Speed Pro 1 "50MM BOLT ON CATS TEST PIPES" for $219.71 shipped to California. Jan 6 they email me to let me know they are out of stock but will be in later on in the month of Jan. Today, Jan 29 they call me on the phone to say the courier company made a mistake and didn't package their cargo container correctly and it'll be mid-March before their next shipment is in.

Is there another option besides the Fabspeed pipes at nearly twice the cost? Looking to purchase immediately. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I have the Fabspeed. Beware. No coupling and to use your current muffler coupling I had to weld on about 2" to each side. Then, each side came with 2 bungs for O2 sensors, and the rear pipes have none. So copper washer and found bolts in 'sensor' thread to plug them.

Note. I welded onto the elbows, not the pipes. Very nice pipes, great fit and shape and finish. Nice and fat. Great sound.

Last edited by Timco; 01-29-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I have the Fabspeed. Beware. No coupling and to use your current muffler coupling I had to weld on about 2" to each side. Then, each side came with 2 bungs for O2 sensors, and the rear pipes have none. So copper washer and found bolts in 'sensor' thread to plug them.

Note. I welded onto the elbows, not the pipes. Very nice pipes, great fit and shape and finish. Nice and fat. Great sound.
Yes - actually it was your post that made me weary about the Fabspeed pipes, I think the holes you had to plug by machining down those huge bolts is to accommodate the ROW Euro setup that had CO2 sensors in the secondary cats (totally not sure if that's accurate, but I think it is).

Anyhow - the pictures they show on their page don't seem to have the ports you had to plug:

Was hoping there was a third option though...
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #4

Garage
Just installed my top speed deletes over the weekend. I was very happy with the fit and finish. Mated them up to my Borla exhaust, didn't need to buy anything additional for the install. I'd say wait for them, you'll be happy.

Working on a video of sound.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
I have a the exact set of them brand new setting here I will sell you. I don't plan on putting them on until later, probably past March anyways.

How does $180 shipped paid through PayPal sound to you?
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I have a the exact set of them brand new setting here I will sell you. I don't plan on putting them on until later, probably past March anyways.

How does $180 shipped paid through PayPal sound to you?
Done, you're awesome! PM sent, thx!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #7

That's a ripper deal - you meet the nicest people here don't you......
Let us know what you think once you've bolted them on - one of the best mods I've fitted for the $$ outlay.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
Yes - actually it was your post that made me weary about the Fabspeed pipes, I think the holes you had to plug by machining down those huge bolts is to accommodate the ROW Euro setup that had CO2 sensors in the secondary cats (totally not sure if that's accurate, but I think it is).

Anyhow - the pictures they show on their page don't seem to have the ports you had to plug:

Was hoping there was a third option though...
And, that pic shows a slip coupling / extender. Mine did not come with that. No big deal if you have a shop with a full welding setup just sitting there a few feet from you, but many would need those extenders.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
That's a ripper deal - you meet the nicest people here don't you......
Let us know what you think once you've bolted them on - one of the best mods I've fitted for the $$ outlay.
My vote is UD pulley, but these were very easy installs.

Interweb points to KRAM36.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #10

I am seriously thinking about UD Pulley AND test pipes !
Old 01-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Anyone out there have a set of cat pipe deletes their willing to sell?

I recently installed a UDP. Decent upgrade for the money. Unfortunately you GE used to the extra horses pretty quick so I need another fix.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #12

That's odd about the Fabspeed pipes? I installed a pair on my car and other than some wiggling around, they fit just fine...no welds or extensions. This was years ago, so could the design have changed? I utilized the existing hardware and they bolted right on.

Love the sound with my custom (modded) factory muffler.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
And, that pic shows a slip coupling / extender. Mine did not come with that. No big deal if you have a shop with a full welding setup just sitting there a few feet from you, but many would need those extenders.
I wonder if you got the wrong ones- like wrong year or engine size or whatever...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
I wonder if you got the wrong ones- like wrong year or engine size or whatever...
You tell them year and style and such. Seems I was told they are no different in design but there it is.