Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
Strike 3, 4, 5... at Dealership = Boxster for Sale

No need to go into a long drawn out fuss session as I have in the past about my dealership experience with a new Porsche.

My 2004 Boxster is a beautiful and amazing car that gets better with age. I love the car for what it is and how it performs. Unfortunately what sours the whole ownership experience is the extreme difficulty to have simple things done to the car or accessories order from my local dealership.

I live 10 miles from Tom Williams Porsche in Birmingham, AL. Anything that I needed quickly for the car I have to take it to Atlanta to have it done 170 miles east of here. I did manage to chisel in an early service here in Birmingham, but not without some difficulty.

I'm beyond the point of absolute frustration with the Dealership and Porsche. Letters were written, no follow-up from either party, therefore I'm done. I love the Boxster, but it just isn't working out for me here in Birmingham, AL.

I am selling my pampered 2004 Boxster and I wanted to find it a good home.

It is a 2004 Porsche Boxster Base Model w/ 8,400 miles
WPOCA29814S620641 - German Built

Details are on the Classifed Section of the forum

This Boxster stickered at $49,145

I'm asking $40,000 obo for it.

It still has 43 months and 41,600 miles left on the factory warranty and roadside assistance.

I can e-mail a copy of the Maroni Label (window sticker) and additional pictures upon request.

I can be reached anytime via cell phone at 205-999-4367
or e-mail me at: DDAllenDesign@bellsouth.net

Being an active member of this board has helped with the experience. I will remain a member and have another Boxster sometime in the future. I appreciate everyone's advice and input over the past 6 months.

Sincerely,

David Allen
bamaboxster

Last edited by bamaboxster; 11-10-2004 at 10:49 PM.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #2

I understand the disappointment (I've had similar bad experiences with dealerships) but it seems the cure is pretty drastic.

Have you considered using an independent shop for service? I've only gone back to the dealership for warranty issues since the purchase, but there are several good shops in the area that charge less and treat me and my car better (IMHO).

Hope you reconsider and find an alternative way to get the service you need and still get to enjoy the car!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #3

Sold

There are great independent shops in Atlanta, haven't found one here in Birmingham or within a reasonable distance from home or work. Getting rides back to work or to pick the vehicle up when leaving the vehicle at an independent shop is difficult due to their location.

The Boxster did sell today for $36K and went to a Boxster enthusiast.

Once again its a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. Having the car here in Birmingham with no reasonable support from the local dealership, plus the 400 mile round trips to Atlanta, lost time, aggravation and the stress factor, has proved to far outweigh the pleasure of owning a brand new $50K Porsche at least here in Birmingham.

I would have kept the car if I were living back in Atlanta where I have more reliable choices for service and parts. Everyone's time is money, I'm just loosing way too much time for what I'm getting in return.

Dave
Old 11-12-2004, 10:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Dave...

I was planning on calling Ted Williams Porsche today because the boxster is having serious asthma problems.

Could you perhaps rant and rave at least a little bit so that I know what exactly is going on there? I live in Mississippi, and Atlanta is even further away for me...almost 300 miles and of course out of the question.

Your reports have me very troubled...

_kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:42 AM   #5

Kevin,

It is known, all over the Birmingham Area, within dealer circles, that the Tom Williams Porsche Group is having major issues.

Most if not all techs walked out recently taking with them a great deal of priceless knowledge and experience.

I brought my new G35 6MT Coupe down there today and parked it right at the front door of the Porsche showroom. I then went in to see if my parts I ordered 3 weeks ago for the Speedster Humps came in.

Tracy, the Finance Manager walked up to the parts counter asked how the Boxster was. Her jaw just about hit the floor when I told her I traded the car in for another G35 last night. She had been the only one that apologized to me on behalf of the dealership. Tracy is a great Finance Manager and she will get you the best rate out there.

Dean is the new Part Manager replacing the previous manager I had so many problems with. Dean is doing the best he can but his hands are tied with the internal drama going on.

Tracy went on to find the GM (Dave Scott) and bend his ear about what I said to her. On my way out of the dealership after having the correct parts re-ordered, I pulled the General Manager aside and and vented for the last time. His "canned" response was, "If you have any problems, come talk to me". I told him I have every time I walked into the dealership. I went on to say I shouldn't have had to track him down every time I set foot into the dealership for something. After all I owned a brand new semi-exotic $50K Porsche. I went on to tell him, I wanted to buy the new 987 in January, but could not stomach anymore drama at the dealership or loose more time from work. Still didn't receive an apology. That really pi**ed me off and my SO who came down with me.

I have bought over $160,000 in new cars within the past 2 years and still have my 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, my 03 Honda GoldWing, 2 months ago my SO's Hyundai Santa Fe LE 3.5l, even helping mom out with her 02 Toyota Camry LE, my 03 Infiniti G356MT Sedan which I traded for my 04 Boxster, traded the Boxster back in on an 04 G356MT Coupe. There is $102,000 in cars in the garage right now.

Porsche (not the car itself) has been the only major thorn in my side out of all of these vehicles.

He then asked me why I bought another G35. I told him that going back to Infiniti should say everything. They treated me with respect, professionalism and courtesy at any dealership I had visited. They follow though on everything then call a few days later to make sure I'm satisfied. I'm sorry, even Hyundai is on top it. I never got that from Tom Williams Porsche, except my (Audi) saleman Steve will call me often just to say hey.

I have to say this, there are a few good people there: Steve in Audi Sales, Tracy the F&I Manager, Dean (is cleaning up the mess in parts department), the Tech Joshua Mack (many Kudos), the detail crew and Twyla the receptionist. If there were more people there that were interested in making it a better place like they guys above are attempting to do, it will be a better place.

Kevin, If you have to take the Boxster there I would ask to speak directly to the tech that will be working on your car. Tell him exactly what is going on with your car and when it acts up. Chuck the Porsche Service Advisor doesn't always relay everything you tell him to the techs. Make sure he puts on your repair order what you are experiencing. You shouldn't have to do this, it is the service advisor's job to be thorough. The techs there will be happy to explain what was done to correct the problem if you need a detailed explanation.

Once its in the tech's hands you should be home free. There are good techs there. Hopefully your parts will be in stock. I hope you don't end up in the black hole of ordering parts and then have it end up on back order. Atlanta is the main warehouse for Porsche parts and Ontario, California is the other. I don't know of another Porsche dealer between me and you that would be better.

Confirm your appointment before you hit the road. Appointments have a way of disappearing off the calendar.

I just hated being held by the "short hairs" because they are the only Porsche dealer within a 200 mile radius of Birmingham.

Good Luck,

Dave
Old 11-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Thanks for the detailed response...it sounds like I should avoid going there if at all possible, but if I must visit them, at least I know a few names to talk to, and it sounds like they're *trying* to get the bugs worked out.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that...the experience I've gotten from other Porsche dealerships has been absolutely wonderful, and at times I would stop in just to ask a question, and end up talking to everyone in there for about 2 hours. The salesman George from Syracuse would sit with me in a brand new 911, and we'd shoot the breeze about porsches and life in general. The service manager always knew who I was, even though I'm a 24 year old kid with a used and sligtly beat-up Boxster, they treated me with normal human dignity. When a part wasn't in, I got 2 phone calls a day updating me on where it was and what the status of my car was. Even the Audi guys across the hall knew who I was, and it was always like visiting with friends everytime I went into the dealership.

I only offer this story in hopes of providing a good, positive example of a dealership/boxster owner relationship. But like you said, it sure does suck that Ted Williams is one of the only places within hundreds of miles of us to get work done by the dealership.

So good luck with your G35, and hopefully one day you'll be back in a Porsche...but maybe after you've moved to another state.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #7

I hate to get into a bad dealer thing but....

I had a friend in San Diego go into Pioneer Porsche for a safety check after someone backed into him.

Pioneer said everything was good and working as it should.

Same guy [bad luck] had an accident with his Porsche and guess what does not happen... No air bags after a major total hit.

My opinion like his of Pioneer is in the dirt, it all about the bottom line.

They love to sell you stuff, but they sure don't back it up with service.

I will stay with the little guy's... alway's happy to help, and sometimes for free...

Sorry about your bad luck Kevin - but I know what you mean.

Oh.. man... those G35's can get up and go...

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 11-13-2004 at 08:56 PM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
porsche986

I am sorry to hear that,

However, I only need to service my car once a year and i dont mind a nice little drive through the country to have it serviced. Did you try booking in advance?

Anyways i wouldnt lose a porsche over that, its not just a car its a statement.

I never go into the dealership only when i have to, so the trip isnt really an issue. For a 2004 boxster there should have been no problems.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:55 AM   #9

Porsche986,

I can accruately predict when I need to set an appointment for a service. The amount of miles I drive is like clockwork. I did set my first appointment 3 weeks in advance and somehow I was dropped. I was on pace to put about 20-25k on it this year alone. Therefore I would be at the dealer more than once a year.

Never had a problem with the Boxster.

I just needed specific accessories added to the car that proved to be pulling teeth to get.

I ended up ordering the rear speaker kit online, the dealer said its not available for the 04 when I bought the car. Now they realize it is the same kit offered on the 97-03 Model.

Next I needed the inserts that go in the bottom of the b-pillar area to secure my speedster humps. They are the same as the ones used for the hardtop. Its has now been 5 weeks and I still don't have the parts.

Bottom line, just wanted the Boxster serviced early, due to autocrossing and driving it like one should, I didn't want to wait to 15K for service. Even though I'm horsing around with the Boxster, I still take care of it. My appointment for service vanished twice, causing 2 wasted trips to the dealer. Instead of owning up to their mistake and chisel me in to service, I was forced under protest to reschedule my appointment.

The other was wanting the wheels balanced. I'm really sensitive to steering vibrations, because its really annoying on long trips. I do spend a lot of time in the Boxster.

They dropped the ball ordering a tire when it went flat. The last is trying to order the right pieces for the Porsche Tech Equipment Speedster Humps, where no one knows exactly what the inserts are and what they look like. They are identical to the hardtop installation kit. I had to show them on PET what they were and now have the correct parts ordered.

Other little buzzes and rattles I have handled on my own, no big deal there.

There were many opportunities to make things go much smoother over the past 5 months, but just didn't follow through. I didn't have this much hassel from any of my other 3 cars combined.

Yes, the Boxster is not just I car and it is a statement.
It also makes a statement when you have one of the finest cars in the world but the dealer is second rate.

I was very patient with the whole experience, but it did not get me anywhere.

David
Old 11-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #10

The Replacement

The Sedan was pre-Boxster

Last edited by bamaboxster; 11-15-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #11

The Coupe is post-Boxster
Old 11-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #12

Nice... there pretty quick, but alas there not Porsche.

You probably spent 993/996 money on that... Hope you will be happy later on when you sell it.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 AM   #13

Scott,

True, its not a Porsche and I feel the Boxster had better cornering without PSM which made up for the power difference. Braking on both cars is outstanding. Steering is also a little faster on the Boxster with more road feel. Both are rear drive and both are technically mid engines due to the engine located behind the front axle line in the G.

I was only 3 seconds behind a G Coupe at the last SCCA Autocross here about 2 weeks ago. Probably could have matched him. I did shave 2 more seconds off during the "fun runs" at the end of the day.

I am considering 987 S next year to get into some serious racing with PCA at Barber Motorsports Park and SCCA here and in Atlanta. I have not totally given up on Porsche, it just won't be my daily driver. I will also buy it in Atlanta. The G will always be here.

Dave
Old 11-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #14
Forum Contributor

Question Atlanta area shop

Can anyone recommend a good Altanta-area independent shop? Preferably northside, Alpharetta/Marietta. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by bamaboxster

I am considering 987 S next year to get into some serious racing with PCA at Barber Motorsports Park and SCCA here and in Atlanta. I have not totally given up on Porsche, it just won't be my daily driver. I will also buy it in Atlanta. The G will always be here.

Dave

As long as you only want a play car for weekends - why not and Elise, Vauxhall or some other British roadsters?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #16

There was a guy running an Elise at the SCCA autox a few months back.

He had a hard time controlling the oversteer situation, but looked like he was having fun. Unfortunately the MG, Vauxhall and other interesting European vehicles are not available on this side of the pond.

I would be in the same situation with the Lotus. They are located in my old area of Atlanta in Gwinnett County. Lotus is gradually making a comeback, the 07 Esprit should be interesting.

Nothing is as flickable as a Porsche right out of the can. The G35 is 1000 pounds heavier than the Boxster. For a luxo boat like the G it handles its own against the Base Boxster. For what its worth, the 987 Boxster S is the way to go for all out performance, while giving you most of the gadgets available in the G. There is also a $20K difference in the price where the Boxster is a roadster justifies some of the added expense and the amazing 3.2 liter takes up the rest.

The Boxster S is the best bang for the buck on the market when it comes to true performance roadsters. There are a lot out there that come very close.

I just hope the dealer here gets it together when I'm ready to order a new 987 S or a 997 S. I will have another Porsche and it will be driven like a Porsche should be driven. for $60-90K I'm determined to have as much fun with it as possible. I have owned 2 911s and 1 Boxster and loved them all. The dealers just have to take it up a notch and be consistent across the board to retain customer loyalty. Its the only gripe I have about owning a Porsche and its the most important to me.

Dave