Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #1

reseting the engine check light

Anyone know how to reset the engine check light,

i already tried unplugging the battery for a day. Turned off for a few days, then turned right back on. Thanks

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #2

Not to be a jerk... Do you know why the cell is on? Def. shoul have it checked out. Go to autozone, they do it for free.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #3

You can purchase an OBDII code reader for under a $100 just about anywhere. I bought one at Walmart for about $75. It will read the code on a small display so you get some idea of why the CEL is tripping. The device also allows you to clear the code.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
ummm, its going to keep turning on until you fix whatever the hell is making it turn on. Take Jaay and Steve00's advice & get it scanned by an ODBII scanner at autozone... its free. Write down the P-code or codes and bring them here and we can help yah out.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #5

Figure out what it is before you reset it.

Them engineers at Porsche didn't engineer lights that turn on for no damn reason!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #6

You may be used to dash lights that say

"Maint Required" or something similar which some manufacturers put on their cars to remind you of the factory service interval.

Porsche's CEL is different, it is triggered when something goes wrong and the "codes" people talk of are clues to what is wrong and how serious it is. They can range from "trivial" to "don't drive this or you risk blowing up your engine.

So the advice here to find out the problem that is causing the CEL is spot on. And you do that by getting the code read and then:
calling a Porsche dealer
or posting the codes here.

To get the codes read, borrow or buy a reader or see if one of the auto parts stores will read the codes for you. The code readers are simple plug in devices and the socket is the the left of the steering wheel.

Porsche CELs aren't things to be ignored until you know what caused them.

Have you priced a Porsche engine recently?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #7

codes

The code readout for my car was P1128 and p1130

Anyone can help me, and tell me whats wrong? Thanks a Whole Lot

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser

Old 06-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #8

Those codes are for your oxygen sensors. They're about $113 each from www.oxygensensors.com and you can change them yourself in 45 minutes. It's real easy. However, you must do all four at once as they don't play nicely when some are old and one or two are new.

For more information on CE light codes, check the page on my web site. I have them all listed.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #9

True,

but when you get readouts on both cylinder banks at the same time I usually first suspect a problem which affects both cylinder banks. It's less likely that Oxygen sensors on both sides die at the same time and more likely that one COMMON component bit the dust. The MAF might be the culprit here...

There are many threads about diagnosing an fixing MAF related problems, simply search the forum for MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Those codes are for your oxygen sensors. They're about $113 each from www.oxygensensors.com and you can change them yourself in 45 minutes. It's real easy. However, you must do all four at once as they don't play nicely when some are old and one or two are new.

For more information on CE light codes, check the page on my web site. I have them all listed.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #10

Ok, you know what the codes are.

I had a P1129 back in January or February... cleared it and it never came back.

I would clear it and drive the car. If the codes return, you would probably then do well to look into the O2 sensors.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #11

MAss Airflow Sensor

YEa i thought it was the Mass Airflow Sensor too!! but my mechanic insisted on the fact that i was o2 sensors. I ended up spending 600 fixing the first two o2 sensors, and the light is still on!!! do u think i should be the MAss Airflow Sensor??

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser

Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #12

The whole job cost me 600 to do all 4 sensors and the mass air. I got the mass air from departstop.com and the sensor (buildable ones) from NAPA.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #13

I had codes P1128 and P1130. Replaced the mass air flow sensor and no more CEL. That was about a year ago.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Where,
I have a PDT/PST at my facility, and can clear your codes. Feel free to visit the shop, since you live in the same city that I do. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #15

Yea! do u think u can recheck the light for me and see if there is any other problems. Cause i have changed the O2 sensors already THanks

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser

Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #16

So here is the thing. I ended up spending another 250 dollars getting my car fully checked for the problem. The guy told me that of the two codes p1128 and p1130 there was a total of seven possible faults. He said after checking the faults which included the MAF, Oxygen Sensors, the Manifold, Oil Pressure ect.... He came to conclusion that my Custom Magnaflow Exhaust was causing some sort of back pressure that the car was not use to therefore causing the engine check light to turn on. CAn this really happen. I only swapped out the 3 inch in length piping after the 4 cats and the mufflers and the tips. NO change in between cats and headers. Can anyone give me some advice, or anything.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser

Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #17

Given the fact that numerous types of exhaust systems have been installed on Boxsters with no CELs, I'd say your mechanic is probably wrong.

The codes you pulled can be caused by a bad MAF or a simple vacuum leak. What did yuor mechanic do to rule out the MAF or a vacuum leak as the culprit? I would strongly suggest, before you spend any more money throwing parts at this thing, you put the top in the service position:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11272

....and inspect the oil seperator connections, vacuum hoses, and the intake manifold plumbing. There's a bellows at the base of the oil seperator that often tears, causing codes similar to what you have.

The bellows:

If you don't find any defects, you should try replacing the MAF. Make sure you get the exact same part number you had before, otherwise you may require ECM reprogramming.

Lastly, you might take Bisi up on his offer.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 AM   #18

Yea i Though it was the MAF too. I dunno, if u can get me some directions on what i can do to check some of those things that would be great. Thanks for the advice though! really backed up what i had in mind.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser

Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Your error codes tell us that your O2 sensors are sensing a lean condition and the DME is compensating by trimming the mixture to rich but has reached it's limit.

Typical causes:
Fouled MAF
intake vacuum leak

Mikefocke has a Boxter website with good basic troubleshooting for this problem with pictures. Check it out and then decide if you want to fix it yourself or pay someone else to do it. This is usually an easy fix that involves opening the engine bay and poking around the intake to see what vacuum hose is cracked or came loose. If everything is tight it is likely the MAF sensor is underreporting intake airflow info to the DME causing the engine to run lean.

Porsche mechanics often misdiagnose this as bad O2 sensors. In reality the O2 sensors worked perfectly. They reported a lean condition that could cause damage to your engine over time. Find the problem, fix it and then take her for a spirited Glendora Ridge run.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM   #20

i did put in a Evolution Intake... ANy instruction on how i can find the leak and fix it?? thanks

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Rear Diffuser