Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #21

OBD II code reader

I just bought a 2001 Boxster S and want to know how easy it is to hook up the OBD II code reader so I can see what's wrong?

wolfrudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's my car?
i did put in a Evolution Intake... ANy instruction on how i can find the leak and fix it?? thanks
You are in good company. Many many Boxter owners who have added the Evo intake have had to go back in and chase CEL problems. Some never solve the problem until they remove it. It could still be a fouled MAF from too much oil on the filter or a vacuum leak. Mikefocke has a Boxter website with good basic troubleshooting for this problem with pictures. http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor
Old 07-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #23
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrudiger
I just bought a 2001 Boxster S and want to know how easy it is to hook up the OBD II code reader so I can see what's wrong?
Easy. Under the dash by your left knee. You can go to Autozone and have your codes read for free or buy your own OBDII reader. A simple pocket reader is about $40. It's good for basic troubleshooting for a CEL. A PST2 connects to a laptop and gives tons of info for about $500.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #24

So today i cleaned my MAF for the 20th time, and when i ran the engine after resetting the battery and ecu, the engine sputtered and idoled for a long time. NORMAL after restarting the system?

i heard from a mechanic that the idoling comes from air vacuum leaks. IF so where is this vacuum tube located? I also heard like this vacuum sound coming from the middle of my engine which made me think.. "maybe its not my MAF".. or is it? any clue THANKS

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #25
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Your error codes tell us that your O2 sensors are sensing a lean condition and the DME is compensating by trimming the mixture to rich but has reached it's limit.

Typical causes:
Fouled MAF
intake vacuum leak

Mikefocke has a Boxter website with good basic troubleshooting for this problem with pictures. Check it out and then decide if you want to fix it yourself or pay someone else to do it. This is usually an easy fix that involves opening the engine bay and poking around the intake to see what vacuum hose is cracked or came loose. If everything is tight it is likely the MAF sensor is underreporting intake airflow info to the DME causing the engine to run lean.

Porsche mechanics often misdiagnose this as bad O2 sensors. In reality the O2 sensors worked perfectly. They reported a lean condition that could cause damage to your engine over time. Find the problem, fix it and then take her for a spirited Glendora Ridge run.

Good luck!
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor

Last edited by Topless; 03-21-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #26

thanks again topless thats two i owe u

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote