Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #21

Look, people are going to frequently disagree with one another on a website or in real life. I know I do -- sometimes I post it, too.

Bruce happens to be a owner (or co-owner, I really don't know what the situation is nor do I feel it is important one way or the other) and what people have to understand is that he does have authority to do as he sees fit -- much like George Steinbrenner does with the Yankees. You can agree, disagree even hate the choices somebody makes, but when it all is said and done, this site is his site (or co-his site). I've often disagreed with him, some of you and some other members who don't seem to frequent this site much anymore. Sure, sometimes a thread gets locked down before you can get the last word in (or an owner decides what the last word will be), but I chalk that up to his right -- as an owner. This is not a democracy. I accept that. In the grand scheme, I'm not losing any sleep about getting in the last word on an internet forum.

What I don't understand is all this drama about people declaring that they are going. I'm not specifically trying to pick on anyone as this is a recurrring theme on this forum (and others) -- people get frustrated curse out the owner or another member(s) and perform a swan song. Why not just PM the owner (or the offending member) and try to find common ground? My guess is that the result will be the same as whatever you hope to get out of this thread. Seriously, if this group is as tight-knit as implied, I'm sure you have each other's email and can let your "friends" know what's what. Alternatively, you can just leave and start your own website and see how well you'll fare. On a personal note, I find my life too busy and important to do that myself, so I'll continue to abide by the rules of others, or find another forum. Viva capitalistas!

Last edited by cfos; 11-13-2007 at 01:33 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #22

Clif notes:

(i) bogg got a ticket and was pissed
(ii) people either sided with him ("cops suck") or against ("don't rag on cops"); some inferred name calling
(iii) some comments were made about the merits of relationships
(iv) Bruce closed the thread
(v) This thread was bourne. Jason-Bourne Style.

Last edited by cfos; 11-13-2007 at 01:30 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #23

dont leave bogg your a great contributor here
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
Look, people are going to frequently disagree with one another on a website or in real life. I know I do -- sometimes I post it, too.

Bruce happens to be a owner (or co-owner, I really don't know what the situation is nor do I feel it is important one way or the other) and what people have to understand is that he does have authority to do as he sees fit -- much like George Steinbrenner does with the Yankees. You can agree, disagree even hate the choices somebody makes, but when it all is said and done, this site is his site (or co-his site). I've often disagreed with him, some of you and some other members who don't seem to frequent this site much anymore. Sure, sometimes a thread gets locked down before you can get the last word in (or an owner decides what the last word will be), but I chalk that up to his right -- as an owner. This is not a democracy. I accept that. In the grand scheme, I'm not losing any sleep about getting in the last word on an internet forum.

What I don't understand is all this drama about people declaring that they are going. I'm not specifically trying to pick on anyone as this is a recurrring theme on this forum (and others) -- people get frustrated curse out the owner or another member(s) and perform a swan song. Why not just PM the owner (or the offending member) and try to find common ground? My guess is that the result will be the same as whatever you hope to get out of this thread. Seriously, if this group is as tight-knit as implied, I'm sure you have each other's email and can let your "friends" know what's what. Alternatively, you can just leave and start your own website and see how well you'll fare. On a personal note, I find my life too busy and important to do that myself, so I'll continue to abide by the rules of others, or find another forum. Viva capitalistas!
I'd mod this post waaay up. Well said.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
'kin ell people.

Dude you dont want to leave the site plus you would end up floating in and regretting it in the future. Memories are always short dude, i dont know your pain with the girl hurting you but woman man, they can explode any guys life up.

Remember its an internet site so dont take it to heart, its all peoples opinions from every walk of life. Everyone looks at everything differently from each other and the more experienced guys would think 'its only a girl' my dad would, and we one day will, 'you' will, plus in 6 months you wont even remember properly what she looks like.

my 2 cents are your a single guy with a freekin Porsche,

relax and enjoy kid!!!

James
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #26
EE3racing

I don't blame Bogg a bit for bailing, hell I've done it twice! haven't any of you guys ever been that in love? The dudes a young man who has experienced betrayal at the highest level what does he get from you guys? A steaming plate of who cares, yet you want to be counted among his friends.

As for grizz, my family is all law enforcement at many different levels. I certainly agree that the officer will never sweat a tinted windows ticket or care about the disposition. Furthermore, only a young inexperienced man would cut off a cruiser, no matter how much brake lining it cost, Bogg should have tailed in behind. Challenge an officer's authuritay and lose everytime. It's clear the officer didn't want to make an issue of it or he could have issued higher citations.

For Grizz, and Rich (who likes to treat adults like children) to be all pompous about the integrity of the law is laughable. Just like Jagger said, every cop is a criminal and all the sinners saints. For every Grizz out there performing the job with integrity there are two guys doing the job poorly and misusing their position, sometimes with other law enforcement. I've seen badges, put other badge's hands on the hood so please grizz spare us the we all dawn halos routine.

Finally, if this lil diatribe gets me banned that's ok too, I needed a piece of data and I have it now. It's too bad this BB is a drama look at me club, occasionally there is an important nugget of technical truth but you have to cipher through the pomposity first.

PS read my name backwards.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #27

Its a forum. Nobody really knows anyone here. Let him go!! He'll probably find a better site with less ********************ing and moaning, and get back to the real topic...Porsches!!! Man, give me a break....(please dont go, we love you, boo-hoo!!!) Car guys? Yeah right!! Oh by the way...I'm a cop.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986speedster
Its a forum. Nobody really knows anyone here.
Oh man......you haven't been on here long enough.

Many board members routinely hang out.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-14-2007 at 08:37 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
Oh that's rich. Now my mind is churning as to which ex-forum member you are!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #30

wow got some fish on the hook!! like children!! not an ex-member. Just dont take this as seriously as some, and come here for the tech, not the nonsense and crying.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
For every Grizz out there performing the job with integrity there are two guys doing the job poorly and misusing their position, sometimes with other law enforcement. I've seen badges, put other badge's hands on the hood so please grizz spare us the we all dawn halos routine.

Best name on the forum, dude!

Hey, don't get me wrong. Most often (well, to be fair, nearly always) I side with law enforcement, but I'm not even going to pretend that all cops are good. Law enforcement is a microcosm of society. I've seen it all. Good cops, bad cops, crazy cops, scared cops, racist cops, sexist cops, you name it. Look at this douche Sergeant who just killed his wife. Now they've finally figured out that he probably killed his last wife too. Gee, really? If you expect me to defend him or the Investigators who missed the first homicide, that's not going to happen. But...what we get mostly here on the forum is stories about how the cop was a jerk because he caught me doing something stupid. No, he wasn't a jerk. You screwed up and he caught you. He was doing his job; the task assigned to him. Today, he was doing his job of catching you better than you were doing your job of not being caught. Period. Traffic enforcement may not be your vision of priority police work, but it's part of his job. What people fail to realize is that there is very little emotional buy-in for a cop writing a traffic ticket. Cops get emotionally invested in child abuse cases, rapes, homicides and other incidents where people have been victimized. Traffic tickets? Whatever. It means very little to the cop; another piece of the job and another slip of paper. The violator on the other hand, is very emotionally involved. He's mortified because he's been stopped. There's going to be a fine. There may be court. His insurance may be affected. Because the violator is emotionally invested, he wants the cop to be as well. Bogg just compained the other day, because the Troopers who stopped him were laughing during the stop. They weren't laughing at him, just laughing in general. So? Because you're upset they should be too? Now on the other hand, if the cop is firm or rigid, he's a jerk. If he is sarcastic...oh my God!!! Have you ever considered that if you weren't caught screwing up you wouldn't have to be talking to this sarcastic jerk in the first place?

Here's a certainty. Be ****************ty to a cop and you're going to get it right back. For an entire career, nearly everyone a cop encounters is at their absolute worst. People call the police when their lives have just spun wildly out of control. People don't call 911 to say "Hi Officers. I'm having a wonderful day. Just thought I'd let you know". People call the police when something terrible has happened to them; something they cannot possibly handle on their own. Consequently, the overworked dispatchers are nasty to the cops; the victims are nasty to the cops; the witnesses are nasty to the cops; the bad guys, by definition are nasty to the cops...all day every day. Now after 20 or 30 instances of the same nastiness on every call for service, here you come, acting silly in your Porsche. How do you expect that's going to go? How about if you have a smart remark for the Officer when he approaches? Yeah, these guys put on a uniform every day. They've heard the professionalism speeches over and over, and are held to a "higher standard". At the end of the day however, they're still human beings. How do you act after taking **************** all day? All week? Twenty years?

I do take exception with the argument that for every one doing a good job there are two who aren't. There are plenty of poor performers out there, but for the most part, Police Officers really are trying to do the right thing. They may not do it the way you'd like it done, or the way I'd like to see it done, but they try. On 9/11, there weren't any stories of guys running away, only stories of guys running in. How many guys do you know who would willingly die to help total strangers?

By the way, I'm not exactly a cop. I'm most like a cop, but not.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-14-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #32

+1 nicely said.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #33

Great post Grizz. I have a very good friend that's an ATF agent. He loves his job, but often describes the same situations you mentioned. - in fact you two sound like you could be related!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #34

We are.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #35

I couldnt have added or said it better myself. Grizz hit every point every police officer has gone through in his or her career. Lastly, if a police officer is accused of something, its the only proffesion where he/she is guilty until proven innocent. Dont shoot until shot at, use just the right amount of force, and only escalate if necessary...etc. If a doctor, lawyer, or whatever was pulled over drinking and driving....life goes on, pay your fine, get a restricted license, some court time, and maybe with a good lawyer, you get off. A police officer is suspended right away, no pay, (and rightly so) but even before his hearing, trial, whatever, he is guilty. Get into a shooting, and the great Rev. Al Sharpton is at your doorsteps with protesters. Guilty until proven innocent. A doctor can kill someone by negligence during an operation, and he only gets sued. His insurance pays for it, and he continues practicing. O.k. enough ranting.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #36

This is the third thread in 2 days to turn to good/cop bad cop. Just throwing that out there.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #37
EE3racing

Grizz,

Great post, please understand that I respect what you do,as I said most of my family is on the job. One thing about your post struck me though, it's when you talk about taking ********************. I work in healthcare, I take my fair share of public nonsense too, key difference is when someone pisses me off I can't take them to jail. As my brother likes to say "there goes a rolling pile of probable cause" or hey look at the rear view mirror they have the "felony forest" going on. Piss off an officer of the law and they will find plenty of ways to get you a night in the ironhouse. As you said correctly, every orgainization is a microcosm of the nation we live in, which means it is an amalgam of good & bad perfomers. My peeps never hassle polite respectful people who show genuine remorse, roll the window down and say why the hell did you pull me over and the tables turn quickly.

I think Bogg is a good dude and I have sympathy for him, my future ex wife (never did marry her thank god) did the same thing. When it first happens it's a real ********************slap, in time he will heal and thank god for the devine intervention.

This forum is great for information, and most of the guys are cool. It does have it's moments where favoritism allows public debauchery, hence my new name..

peace out fellow Porsche lovers, I'd love to show you guys my ride but even that has to be approved apparently.

Last edited by xusmnimij; 11-14-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #38

What is with all of the drama and juvenile behavior around here with some of these posts? It is really diminishing the quality of the community IMHO.

Lately for some reason, I feel like I am checking on a ricer board with all of this "avoid the law - I cannot believe I got caught, get me out this" and "I got out of my ticket, what a dumb cop" & "I am going to leave this place/don't leave we like you" & "I just lost my cheating GF" rambling. - It is just really juvenile.

Perhaps this is the "poser" activity that was commented on a few weeks ago.
Sadly, I find some of that view to be partially true and that is unfortunate.

Last edited by meerzee; 11-14-2007 at 12:19 PM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #39

I don't know...I've said before, I kinda like when the threads go way off course. I consider all of you guys friends. I do like to talk Porsches. Regrettably, my car doesn't leak, all the locks work, the CEL doesn't come on, no one has stolen my headlights...none of that stuff. Consequently, I don't have too much Porsche stuff to talk about. If I run it into a tree or something, you'll be the first ones to know. When I have information that someone can use, I certainly try to help by posting it. Otherwise, I enjoy when one member throws a chair at another, or someone wants to talk about their girl, their dog, the President, global warming...whatever. No matter how pissed I may appear to be at times, it's really only my writing style (except for in the case of that one member who's no longer here). I have staff at work to edit my memos before they're sent, so I don't start WWIII...and they never let me go to meetings alone. I'm apparently a lot less diplomatic in person. I realize this is a Porsche forum, but how much Porsche stuff is there really to talk about? Like many others, I visit every day, sometimes several times a day. Can we not be a group of friends with like interests, who discuss lots of stuff? I thought that was what the lounge was for. Maybe I'm way off base as this is the only forum I actively participate in. Should I be going to 40 different forums each day to talk about each one of my interests , or to read about the interests of others? Currently, I'm incapacitated with a work-related injury and you guys are keeping me from shooting myself. So...am I wrong, or what? That's a real question 'cause I really don't know the answer.

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-14-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
So...am I wrong, or what? That's a real question 'cause I really don't know the answer.
Not speaking on behalf of an owner(s), I don't think you're wrong. Additionally, I really don't mind that threads go off target because how much can all this collective "we-own-a-Porsche-aren't-we-cool-and-everyone-else-isn't-(except-for-those-tiptronic-owners-who-don't-know-what-a-real-Boxster-experience-is)" back-patting can one take?

The arguing and whining is often humorous and provides a pleasant distraction from work. Granted, I may go to a few other forums during the course of the day and if that isn't your cup of tea Griz, I understand there is a lot of pr0n and hilarious youtube videos on da interwebz with which to occupy yourself.