Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #21

Here is another web site for the car color matched paint. Seal Gray.
http://expresspaint.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=4476&idCategory=38

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #22
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That is a great, but I wonder how much you get out of the aerosol can to make it worth $25?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
That is a great, but I wonder how much you get out of the aerosol can to make it worth $25?
That's why I buy the Dupli-color automotive spray paint. It only cost like $3-$5 a can. I use Metallic Med Gray FM225? I think and painted my bumperret covers. No one can tell the difference. Color looks identical and is cheaper by the can. I'm not sure if that is the right number, but I can check when I get home.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #24
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think they make Dupli-Color in Ocean Blue Metalic though.
If they do, I'll do my bumperettes, vents, etc. that way.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #25

Sorry, I thought someone here was asking for Seal Gray? They might make a color close to your car color. You just have to experiment. Other wise just use one of the web sites mentioned.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Yep that was me. I just ordered everything I needed from expresspaint.com. I got three cans of Seal Grey, (1)Primer, (1)Clear Coat, (1)Wax & Grease Remover, Sand Paper and Tack Cloth for about $130. Which may be more than Dupli Color but hey it's a lot less than buying the prepainted pieces, cheaper than having them painted by an auto body shop, and if all turns out well, the satisfaction of saying "I did it myself". I'll start with the pocket lids and if all goes well I'll move onto the console pieces.

I'll go home tonight and take a "before" shot and in a couple of weeks I'll post the results.

Thanks for all the advise everyone! I'm stoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Sorry, I thought someone here was asking for Seal Gray? They might make a color close to your car color. You just have to experiment. Other wise just use one of the web sites mentioned.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
986wheelz

Talking Any Pictures?

Just wondering how your project turned out? Any pictures ?

"I'll go home tonight and take a "before" shot and in a couple of weeks I'll post the results."
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #28

ok guys, so i went ahead and painted my trim pieces also. for the most part it turned out pretty good. the pieces turned out really good after i put on the enamel. but then two of the pieces i thought didn't have the gloss i wanted along the edge so after about an hr i sprayed them again with the enamel and ! the gloss went away. it seemed like the enamel ate into the paint and now its dull.

can you guys give me advice at this point to retain that gloss finish? should i wait a few days to let it dry and enamel it again or do i need to put on the base coat again and then enamel again?

thanks for your help in advance.
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com View Post
ok guys, so i went ahead and painted my trim pieces also. for the most part it turned out pretty good. the pieces turned out really good after i put on the enamel. but then two of the pieces i thought didn't have the gloss i wanted along the edge so after about an hr i sprayed them again with the enamel and ! the gloss went away. it seemed like the enamel ate into the paint and now its dull.

can you guys give me advice at this point to retain that gloss finish? should i wait a few days to let it dry and enamel it again or do i need to put on the base coat again and then enamel again?

thanks for your help in advance.
could you post a couple pictures?

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #30

never mind, the post, I'm an idiot, i used a non gloss enamel !!! grabbed the wrong bottle when i resprayed. used correct one and have my gloss shine again
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #31

I've had my car for many yrs now, i don't know why i didn't try this sooner. its not hard just need patience, but the result is great! for $20 my interior looks quite different. going to attempt the center console soon
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com View Post
I've had my car for many yrs now, i don't know why i didn't try this sooner. its not hard just need patience, but the result is great! for $20 my interior looks quite different. going to attempt the center console soon
Post some pics when you are done!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #33

I don't know if I should say it but anything from a spray bomb will dull in a year or less. Bodyshops use a catalyzed clear and this will last years and years depending on it's quality. It can be buffed and waxed as well. Spray bombs are fun and simple to use as no compressor or paint gun is needed but the exterior is clear coated for a reason. Enamel, lacquer and urethane can be clear coated ( not acrylics) so you can get a pro to clear them as a last step before reassembly.

Oh and prep is EVERTHING!---" cleanliness is next to Godliness"

Last edited by woodsman; 06-21-2014 at 12:42 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #34

ok i will. i initially used engine aluminum but it came out kinda gray and did not match the aluminum door handle. so i stumbled across a dupli color volkswagon oem aluminum which i figured was like porsche. did a test and it was perfect match. so now I'm in process of repainting the door pieces again. I'm going with a metallic black for the center parts, since i did not want the black buttons to stand out with the brushed aluminum. i will take pics when everything is done. might take a couple weeks.

everyone was right, patience with sanding/priming and letting the coats dry well. but its rewarding doing it yourself.