Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i used 303 instead of raggtopp, much cheaper and can be found at murrays or autozone. it did wonders on my top.
i love watching ALL the water just fly right off the top when i was the car.

one month without storage should be fine, but if you are really picky a cover is fine.

my buddy's license is suspended for a year, been 11 months now, and his car still sits w no cover haha, it still looks same.

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #22

I have used raggtopp with good results but did not know you could use 303 on top as well, good to know... it is easier to find.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #23

Used RAGGTOPP on my car today, I was VERY impressed! The hood looks like new, defo recommend

I got mine from autogeek, also got a 10% discount.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver/Blue interior & roof
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Carbon fiber interior accents and gear knob
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #24

I'm in a similar situation. I picked up my '02 Boxster S about a month ago. Its a very boring Black/Black combo with Grey interior (yes, that combination).

Mine was much lower miles, but I still think the car deserves to get a clean state from a maintenance perspective once they enter a new garage.

I did most of the things you've done (oil & filter, top, etc.). I also did the cabin filter, mine was really gross (at one point a mouse made a home in it). I replaced my front tires which weren't worn, but had some dry rot. I figure that I will place some pretty heavy stresses on those things pretty much every opportunity I get...

I assume that I'll do an OAS, MAF, O2, etc. They seem inevitiable & are really no big deal. However, I do hope to avoid a new engine...

TOP: I also cleaned my plastic rear window with Novus. Its a dedicated plastic cleaner. It made a huge difference in the visibility through the plastic window.

WINDSTOPS: With them installed - and with the windows up - the car is as calm at highway speed as many sedans with the windows cracked.

STORAGE: Suggest you read about the battery and what happens if your battery dies. Sounds like the right kind of inexpense charger will help prevent a hassle if your batter goes while in storage.

I can't believe how much I like this car so far. The car has met my high expectations for fun & perfrmance. But, surprisingly, it has far exceeded my expectations for comfort & practicality as a daily driver.

Good luck with your car.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #25

Legally, the mileage CANNOT be reset when a new engine goes in. The miles are on the car, not the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
Well, interesting news. I just got off with the Service Manager at one truly incredible Porsche dealership and he gave me some interesting info. (essentially the whole rundown on the car since it was first purchased) The owners were very meticulous with this car and it was always brought in for service on-time everytime. Both the 30K and 60K services were done, as well as all of the routine maintenance such as brake, oil seperator, MAF, O2, oil changes, everything. Interesting to note that the engine was actually replaced completely at 30,843 miles (about 30K miles ago) according to the service manager, due to what is listed as "internal malfunction" --- apparently the owner was complaining that the car was not "running properly" --- they tried to "repair it" then the manager determine to just have it replaced with a new engine. Told me that the new engine has an unlimited 2 year mileage warranty. Also the clutch was replaced at 48K miles and the RMS was done about 6K miles ago. When I asked about why the mileage wasn't reset when the engine was replaced he said something about, "well the mileage is burnt into the DID" or something like that.

So, I should be set for now. Essentially a 30K mile engine with all services done and most "gotchas" already taken care of. Also the ragtop was replaced due to someone "cutting into it" to get inside the car in July 07. --- Lordy, Lordy... this car has had its share of stuff happen to it, huh?

Anyone have any ideas on the reasons behind the engine replacement?
I cannot imagine that this would be a common occurance by any means.
Thanks,
M

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
BTW, I now notice the missing rollbar behind the seat "screens" are missing.
What is the real purpose for these and how much to replace? Do I need them and what is the official part numbers and where is the best online place to purchase.
I did recall hearing that these screens and the windscreen will disappear if left topdown on occasion, then show up on Ebay there soon after...
Based on some posts I read in the forum that the rollbar inserts didn't add that much wind protection (and not everyone agrees), my scottish pocketbook and I ultimately decided to buy only the center windscreen. I'm reasonably tall (6'1") and have the seat back all the way which I think largely blocks wind from coming in through them.

That's a beautiful car. I'll be impressed if you have the restraint to drive it only on weekends. Turns out, I don't.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #27

By the way, the 'Steelership" sells convertible top "Shampoo" as they call it and a plastic window cleaner. I did not buy the top cleaner but do use the plastic window cleaner sold by Porsche. I have to admit after the first time using it, it looks amazingly clear. Just make sure to do both inside and outside on the plastic window.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 09-28-2007 at 07:43 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlevins
Based on some posts I read in the forum that the rollbar inserts didn't add that much wind protection (and not everyone agrees), my scottish pocketbook and I ultimately decided to buy only the center windscreen. I'm reasonably tall (6'1") and have the seat back all the way which I think largely blocks wind from coming in through them.

That's a beautiful car. I'll be impressed if you have the restraint to drive it only on weekends. Turns out, I don't.
Thanks, OB. I think I will leave them out for now and save the extra $200 - I bought the Coverking Silverguard+ cover for it and the Weathertech rubber protection mats for both the interior and the "cargo" rear trunk area. (I have done this in the past for all of my vehicles as soon as I get this....using Husky most of the time, but I didn't care for the look of the Husky liner this time)

I am right at 6'3", so I hope I fit OK ---- arrgh! I too am worried about the restraint of driving it only on the weekends, but we shall see....maybe I will make a calendar log and see how often I actually come up with a reason to take it out during the week.....heck if the "stealership" I bought it from wasn't 1000+ miles away, I would be driving it home today. I just don't have the time to do it plus it seems like a hecka of a "break-in" intro experience.... :P

Thanks so much for the kind words....
All the best,
M

meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote