View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
meerzee

Smile New 2002 Boxster S Owner

Hello fellow "permagrinners"! Well, I got the chance to catch my breath from everything and once the dust settled in my life, I took a shot at getting a car that I have wanted since I was little. (A Porsche)

My car was bought without my ability to inspect personally, but I had 2 trusted friends take it for a proper inspection @ Porsche. According to Porsche there were no leaks and it appeared that all of the proper services for its age had been already done. The only thing that they did was a Mobil1 oil change, filter change, replace the washer pump on the drivers side headlight. Brakes were 90% all around and Car has 18" Turbo-look light alloy with brand new P-Zero Rossi's on all 4 wheels. (9/32+ left of tread) No curb rash, no rock/stone chips, no scratches, no wrecks. It did come off a lease so I am not sure what the requirements are with Porsche with regard to their own leased vehicles and service routines/maintenance. Does Porsche keep up with their leased cars for proper maintenance and repairs?

The details: 2002 Boxster S with 60300K miles, Sport Touring pack, tons of options, Xenons, black Porsche mats, 2-keys, all manuals/books, toolkit, Black on Savanna Beige, etc. Car is in excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically, but I am still nervous as I don't take ownership via transport until next week. I am still interested in getting it checked out locally once received just for good measure. I am a little worried about the mileage, but everything else appeared so well-conditioned, I figured that the car was worth the chance. Look over the pics and let me know what you all think. I envision this to be a weekend (maybe Friday to Sunday vehicle at best) --- and keep using my Tahoe for my daily driving. (work is only about 6.2 miles away from home)

PICS & QUESTIONS BELOW

Questions:
1. Does the mileage scare anyone and what do I really need to check?
2. Any surprises in the photos, anything I need to check from the photos?
3. How does Porsche handle their own leased cars? Do they require maintenance?
4. Any shop recommendations in New Orleans? I am leaning towards Greff Motors.
5. If it needs a 60K service (somehow they were wrong?) Is this like a $1K or so?
6. Top appears in good shape. Best stuff is the RAGGTOPP combo right?
7. In lieu of having a permanent garage space for it right now, should I get a really good cover, if so is the "official Porsche" outdoor cover decent? (from the Porsche shop via the official website) or should I get something else from Covercraft or someone else? Garage will be available within about a month for it.

Pics:

Thank you so much for all of the time, support and advice anyone might have on this. I truly appreciate it. - I look forward to really enjoying it and contribtuing on a regular/daily basis to this forum!!! BEST forum on the Internet by far IMHO.

All the best,
M

Last edited by meerzee; 09-26-2007 at 12:02 PM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote