Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

Smile New 2002 Boxster S Owner

Hello fellow "permagrinners"! Well, I got the chance to catch my breath from everything and once the dust settled in my life, I took a shot at getting a car that I have wanted since I was little. (A Porsche)

My car was bought without my ability to inspect personally, but I had 2 trusted friends take it for a proper inspection @ Porsche. According to Porsche there were no leaks and it appeared that all of the proper services for its age had been already done. The only thing that they did was a Mobil1 oil change, filter change, replace the washer pump on the drivers side headlight. Brakes were 90% all around and Car has 18" Turbo-look light alloy with brand new P-Zero Rossi's on all 4 wheels. (9/32+ left of tread) No curb rash, no rock/stone chips, no scratches, no wrecks. It did come off a lease so I am not sure what the requirements are with Porsche with regard to their own leased vehicles and service routines/maintenance. Does Porsche keep up with their leased cars for proper maintenance and repairs?

The details: 2002 Boxster S with 60300K miles, Sport Touring pack, tons of options, Xenons, black Porsche mats, 2-keys, all manuals/books, toolkit, Black on Savanna Beige, etc. Car is in excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically, but I am still nervous as I don't take ownership via transport until next week. I am still interested in getting it checked out locally once received just for good measure. I am a little worried about the mileage, but everything else appeared so well-conditioned, I figured that the car was worth the chance. Look over the pics and let me know what you all think. I envision this to be a weekend (maybe Friday to Sunday vehicle at best) --- and keep using my Tahoe for my daily driving. (work is only about 6.2 miles away from home)

PICS & QUESTIONS BELOW

Questions:
1. Does the mileage scare anyone and what do I really need to check?
2. Any surprises in the photos, anything I need to check from the photos?
3. How does Porsche handle their own leased cars? Do they require maintenance?
4. Any shop recommendations in New Orleans? I am leaning towards Greff Motors.
5. If it needs a 60K service (somehow they were wrong?) Is this like a $1K or so?
6. Top appears in good shape. Best stuff is the RAGGTOPP combo right?
7. In lieu of having a permanent garage space for it right now, should I get a really good cover, if so is the "official Porsche" outdoor cover decent? (from the Porsche shop via the official website) or should I get something else from Covercraft or someone else? Garage will be available within about a month for it.

Pics:

Thank you so much for all of the time, support and advice anyone might have on this. I truly appreciate it. - I look forward to really enjoying it and contribtuing on a regular/daily basis to this forum!!! BEST forum on the Internet by far IMHO.

All the best,
M

Last edited by meerzee; 09-26-2007 at 12:02 PM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #2

I bought my 02 boxster S about 7 months ago.....and I`ve had a couple things....one check the clutch these seem to inevitably give out around the 40-60K range.....also the rear axle boots were cracked as well do to normal wear and tear I presume....and the MAF went out.....other than that I love the car and I`ve been busy adding TA skirts and boxster humps as well as some new 19 inch rims...and rear speakers. If I had this car to buy over again the only thing I would have changed is I would have got the ABS or whatever they call it for the different slip differential in the rain this car is dangerous without it...its almost a must when its raining bad..
joyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If I had this car to buy over again the only thing I would have changed is I would have got the ABS

All Boxsters come standard with ABS. ABS=Anti-Lock Brakes

whatever they call it for the different slip differential in the rain this car is dangerous without it...its almost a must when its raining bad..

PSM=Porsche Stability Management,that's what your thinking of.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #4

One more question...How much is a clutch replacement for an 02 Box S? (approx)
Anything else to change (bearings, plate) while that work is being done?

Thanks.
Andy
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #5

Ask the previous owner if the Serpantine Belt was changed. The maintenance manual says it should be changed at 55K. simple and cheap fix. I would also ask when was the last time the spark plugs were changed. I think those are supposed to be changed at 45K. Check your owners manual for all of your service maintenance. Also your fuel filter at 60K. Other than those 3 things, your car looks great! As for the clutch, well that just depends on how the previous owner drove the car. It may or may not need it. If you don't have any RMS leaks, you've got a good car. I had my clutch changed and RMS seal at the same time. Suncoast Porsche has the best prices and gave me all the parts needed to do a complete clutch replacement along with the RMS. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #6

I think the main item at 60K is the serpentine belt. Perhaps spark plugs.

Get a Bentley manual if you can. Some of these items you can do yourself if you are willing..

60K miles is not too high. It sounds about right for a car that has actually been driven in its life

I don't see the little black screens that go in the rollbar behind the seats.
be sure to pull off the spare and make sure the jack is in there. Also check the pouch for the toolkit. You will also want to make sure you have the owners manuals and the Radio Code.. nice to have when the battery dies.

Clutch parts are likely $400-500 plus install. so.. $1k-$1500 sounds right once a shop charges you labor.

Love the color combo! Enjoy
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #7

Congrats on the purchase! Biased, but nice choice on years and colors!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome...
I will have it hopefully for next weekend....great. If it wasn't a 1000 miles away and I had the time, I would have flown and driven it home. I will have it checked out for the serpentine belt, clutch, spark plugs, RMS and such when I get it home.

BTW, I now notice the missing rollbar behind the seat "screens" are missing.
What is the real purpose for these and how much to replace? Do I need them and what is the official part numbers and where is the best online place to purchase.
I did recall hearing that these screens and the windscreen will disappear if left topdown on occasion, then show up on Ebay there soon after...

Thanks --- It is awesome to be here... 986forum is the best.

-M
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #9

Good question. I thought I saw them for sale at Suncoast.... I know the clear plastic windstop goes for about $350 from the dealer. I thought the screens were also rediculously priced too.. Maybe $100ach!

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004480078&Category_Code=POTEBXWW
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #10

I have nothing to add other than "that's pretty" and that my box has 103k on it, and hasn't had any serious work needed on it. Nothing that i wouldn't consider normal maintenance during my ownership.

Take care of her, and you should have a lot of miles without any headaches.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #11

Smile gmboxster

Congrats on your purchase!! You bought the boxster (type) that I wanted. Black boxster S with tan leather interior, BEAUTIFUL!! I 'settled' for a white boxster with tan leather interior because I thought I was getting a good deal. Although I wanted black the white is really starting to grow on me. In fact I think ALL boxsters look great regardless of the color. The hardest part for me is finding time to drive it between work. This car is too darn nice to let it sit in the garage. Once again congrats and have fun..
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #12

Hey man, car looks great. I found a shop up here in Mandeville that does good work, but nothing on the south. For the price of Greff Motors, why not bring it right to the Porsche dealership?
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Hey man, car looks great. I found a shop up here in Mandeville that does good work, but nothing on the south. For the price of Greff Motors, why not bring it right to the Porsche dealership?
Thanks, Max. Can you share the name of them with me? I live on lakefront in Metairie, so Mandeville is only 30 mins. Family (two sisters) live in Deerfield and Reserve subdivisions off Lonesome. I had looked at a couple homes in Marigny Trace subdivision that were being built after Katrina. I know Mandeville quite well, go over there about 4-5 times a month.

I didn't realize that Greff would be that expensive, but I guess I should have thought by the quality of his shop and expertise. Arrggh.... thought i would catch a break for once.... :P

Thanks for the kind words...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
Congrats on your purchase!! You bought the boxster (type) that I wanted. Black boxster S with tan leather interior, BEAUTIFUL!! I 'settled' for a white boxster with tan leather interior because I thought I was getting a good deal. Although I wanted black the white is really starting to grow on me. In fact I think ALL boxsters look great regardless of the color. The hardest part for me is finding time to drive it between work. This car is too darn nice to let it sit in the garage. Once again congrats and have fun..

Thanks for the kind words. That is what finally sold me on the car, the mixture of the black and the beautiful tan interior....got so tired (no offense to anyone) of seeing the black or grey interiors....wanted something more unique and flashy.
I cannot believe that anyone would have to "settle" to own a Boxster, regardless of color! That is going to be my issue, finding time to drive it....probably no more than clear Friday's to work, then maybe weekend if the weather is good. Well, it should be alot of fun, just hope it is in as good shape as it looks!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #15

When I bought my car it did not come with the wind stops. I think they would actually make a whistling noise with all those holes in it. I drive my car without them and the top down all the time with no problems at all. So I don't plan on ever buying them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #16

Post Rundown on my Boxster....(History)

Well, interesting news. I just got off with the Service Manager at one truly incredible Porsche dealership and he gave me some interesting info. (essentially the whole rundown on the car since it was first purchased) The owners were very meticulous with this car and it was always brought in for service on-time everytime. Both the 30K and 60K services were done, as well as all of the routine maintenance such as brake, oil seperator, MAF, O2, oil changes, everything. Interesting to note that the engine was actually replaced completely at 30,843 miles (about 30K miles ago) according to the service manager, due to what is listed as "internal malfunction" --- apparently the owner was complaining that the car was not "running properly" --- they tried to "repair it" then the manager determine to just have it replaced with a new engine. Told me that the new engine has an unlimited 2 year mileage warranty. Also the clutch was replaced at 48K miles and the RMS was done about 6K miles ago. When I asked about why the mileage wasn't reset when the engine was replaced he said something about, "well the mileage is burnt into the DID" or something like that.

So, I should be set for now. Essentially a 30K mile engine with all services done and most "gotchas" already taken care of. Also the ragtop was replaced due to someone "cutting into it" to get inside the car in July 07. --- Lordy, Lordy... this car has had its share of stuff happen to it, huh?

Anyone have any ideas on the reasons behind the engine replacement?
I cannot imagine that this would be a common occurance by any means.
Thanks,
M

Last edited by meerzee; 09-27-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #17

Sounds like you got a great deal then. The dealership should be able to reprogram the millage. They need a special type of computer to do it though. People on this forum have changed their gauge cluster to the 996 with the oil pressure gauge and volt gauge. They had to have it re-programed afterwards to reflect the correct millage, so it can definitely be done.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
looks like you got a great deal.
porsche replaces engines all the time, and then send them to germany for closer inspection....only difference is either you pay for it or waranty does, but they rarely fix anything, jsut tell you that you need a new one...

but you got a car now with everything replaced that needed to be replaced, and welcome to the forum.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #19

Wink

Thanks, 986spyder & djomlas...
Obviously I feel alot better now about the history of the car with the sheer abundance of information I received this morning. I am really looking forward to getting the car in next week. Thanks again for the warm welcomes and wonderful info/advice!

I have a question on the parking/storage of my Boxster. It will be without a garage spot for about a month, until I finish the last of my storage needs (I am holding materials for a relative for his home repair) - I was thinking about purchasing a Coverking Silverguard Plus cover for now until I had it in a garage. Any opinions on this cover? And is RAGGTOPP still the best/only cleaner/protector to use on the boxster top?

Thanks again,
M
Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #20

gmboxster

And where do you buy RAGGTOP ??

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote